Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG problem

• 01-12-2002 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

HUGE problem actually...

My computer keeps reseting herself at random intervels..for no god damn good reason. I don't think its overheating or anything. It's doing it more and more regularly I think..happened once while I as copying a cd :mad:

The only thing I can think to blame is my motherboard...frickin' Abit KR7A-Raid. Think maybe it could be dying?

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I know on Award bios's there's an option to make the PC shutdown if the cpu is deigned to be running a little hot...try switching that option off if its available, or change it to 'throttle'

Meh, could be miles off, but worth a try :)

- lampsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

My dad's computer does exactly the same thing. Just resets completely randomly, out of the blue. Screen goes black, then video BIOS pops up and continues from there.

Here's what he's using:

GigaByte GA5AX Rev4
    AMD K6III-450
    128MB (i -think- it's PC100, but could be 133 - dunno the brand or any other detail)
    he was using an IBM 16.8GB drive, but now he's using a new 40GB drive. Dunno what that is, but the problem happened with both drives.
    TNT2 M64 32MB (dunno what brand board)
    SB PCI128

Win98SE

I used to own this system, and i don't think it ever happened me.
    Any ideas what might be going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Actually, now that i think about it, when i owned it, it had a Voodoo3 3000 in it. I kept that card and he got the TNT2 M64. I've just read some user reviews and a few of them point out a big AGP problem where it crashes every hour or something. Some of them revert to PCI cards and have no problem.

Do you think in my case where i just changed to a different AGP card could have caused this?
    Does anyone know if a TNT2 M64 uses a faster AGP speed than a voodoo3 3000 or something?

I should go install Q3 on it tomorrow and see what happens. Apparently some of the users will crash it within 5 minutes, playing 3d games.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

This happened to me recently and I found the 256MB memory stick to be at fault. When windows tried to access the d
    ud memory location, the computer just reset !

Slaan.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had similar problem which turned out to be a RAM stick that turned faulty. Took ages to suss teh problem but i finally got there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

crap.. I'm getting that "Memory location" error more and more so nowadays :)

damn, I can't afford new ram at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Balfa, a load of those "super 7" motherboards have major problems with their agp implementation. The voodoo3 doesn't actually use agp, it basically comes in agp format to save you losing a pci slot. So it won't tax the chipset nearly as much as a tnt. Try a pci graphics card in the machine, or if you still have the voodoo somewhere, throw that back in.

Kairo, did your machine always do that? Check what temperatures you are running, and post up the voltages also which are reported. ( look in the bios setup -> pc health status , or in windows install some hw monitoring software , should be on the mobo cd ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Gerry
    Kairo, did your machine always do that? Check what temperatures you are running, and post up the voltages also which are reported. ( look in the bios setup -> pc health status , or in windows install some hw monitoring software , should be on the mobo cd ).

Nope..only started it within the last two weeks. Same thing happened to me brothers computer a while back, even after a total format and OS reinstall same problems..he eventually got a new motherboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

que me to step in:
    im selling a mobo with a processor etc. check out the need to sell: pc parts in the for sale forum :D. as for advice, umm....er....try rebooting it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Happened to me - BIOS Upgrade solved the Problem.. - The Bios I had contained the wrong Voltage settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

I had the same problem with that board ..the KRA7, after which I called it the KRA(P) :) .. it caused me a lot of grief, but with the help of the viahardware FAQ for that board, it noted that the CPU Driving Strength had to be increased in some cases . This is a setting in the BIOS under Advanced Chipset Settings..

All instabilities were gone after that.

viahardware changed to sudhian.com and the FAQ for that board is located at

http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/7.sud

Unfortunately I couldnt find any reference to CPU driving strength.

This assumes that all hardware is good, i.e. memory,PSU etc..
    The reseting was not related to temp in anyway.

Good Luck

b

Advertisement