Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Cameras

• 01-12-2002 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting someone a Digital Camera for Christmas. It has to have USB interface, but that standard isn't it?

I dont know much about Digital Cameras, what do the specs mean and could someone point me a decent camera for around €400, if there is a decent one for that price. Is argos a good place to get it or are they overpriced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Yes Argos are overpriced at the moment (actually compared to Dixons.. i know its strange), but they do have a half-price offer on specific flash cards when you buy a camera from them... which works out quite well in most cases.

Nearly all cameras these days will come with a USB connection, so I wouldn't worry about that part of it.

A few pointers:

Make sure it has a decent optical (as opposed to digital) zoom.

Don't go for anything less than 2 Megapixels... which basically equates to the final resolution of the captured image.

Get an extra memory card, even top-range cameras usually only come with 16Mb cards, which means at the highest quality you're going to be stuck for space on the flash/memory... 64Mb should be more than enough for a major weekend of picture taking (and you have the one it ships with even if you run out with that).

Some cameras can output their photos to a TV (which is damn handy).. check for that feature.

As far as makes go:

I've a Nikon Coolpix 775 myself, and would reccomend that, brill for closeups, still shots and macros and decent enough at all-round general pictures... auto-focus isn't quick enough on it for my liking though (a problem with a lot of digital cameras).
    I used to dislike Fuji but they seem to have their act together on their recent digital cameras, and I've seen some great results from both the Finepix (i think?) 2600 & 2800 (the 2800 is a great camera for those into their photography, lots of manual controls and a 8x optical zoom).
    Kodak have fiddly software and their cameras are a bit large for my liking.

Anyway the Fuji 2600 is what I reccomended my sister to buy for her bf this christmas.. with an additonal (half-price) 64Mb card, works out at pretty much spot on $400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Add a Canon Powershot A40 to the list for consideration. Connects with USB if you want. Does the display to the TV trick. Uses standard CompactFlash for storage - a dirt cheap PCMCIA adapter can transfer images much faster than USB if you've got a laptop. 2 megapixel (1600x1200 images). 3x optical zoom, plus a fewX digital zoom that can be turned off. Most important of all, the user interface doesn't bug the hell out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Originally posted by longword
    Add a Canon Powershot A40 to the list for consideration.

Have to agree with this. I bought the model before this (the a20) and it's been going great for me. It's very easy to use and the picture quality is quite good. IIRC the a40 also allows a small amount of movie taking as well and the price is fairly good in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by Kali
    Anyway the Fuji 2600 is what I reccomended my sister to buy for her bf this christmas.. with an additonal (half-price) 64Mb card, works out at pretty much spot on $400.

i'd recommand that too. My sister just got it for her birthday from argos with the half priced 64mb card with it. its good value and its a great camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Right, stay away from Argos. Is there any good websites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Some worth looking at:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com (reviews)
    http://www.dpreview.com/ (reviews)

www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk (shopping)
    www.nomatica.com (shopping)
    www.outpost.com (shopping)

I quite like the Canon digital ixus range - I'd happily hand over my eye teeth for a V3 (it's part of the digital elph range in the US)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yes Argos are overpriced at the moment (actually compared to Dixons.. i know its strange), but they do have a half-price offer on specific flash cards when you buy a camera from them... which works out quite well in most cases.

Not only are their cameras over priced but did you not see the price of their flash cards??? 129 for a 128meg when you can get them on komplett from 50 Euro. Thats really nice of them to offer them at half price! :)
    Don't go for anything less than 2 Megapixels... which basically equates to the final resolution of the captured image.

I just want to add to this that it's also very important to note that the megapixels advertised on cameras is not always the resolution of the CMOS sensor, in some cases it's the result of software interpolation. Some manufacturers don't specify that the pixel resolution is the result of interpolation, but the giveaway is when the CMOS res doesn't match up to it. For example if your camera is supposed to be 2 mega pixels then the CMOS resolution should be 1600x1200. If it reads less than that then you know the difference is just software enhancement to enlarge the picture to 2 mega and not the real thing.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have just ordered an Olympus C220 digital camera. It's 2.1 megapixel (1.95 true) with 3x optical zoom. Should this be a good camera? It was a choice between this one at €290 or a Fuji Finepix A201 at €255 but I chose Olympus it has TV connectivity and seems to get better reviews online. The only snag is the poor 8MB memory so i'll have to upgrade that!

Anyone have Olympus camera?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

3x Optical zoom is handy, if thats the difference between them it's worth the extra money. I haven't checked out the specs of them.

One thing I'll say about TV out is that while some people find it handy, personally I couldn't be bothered with it. I burn my images in VCD format onto a CD and view them through the stand alone DVD player on the TV. You can fit hundreds of pics on CD though at least in my case it's not a good idea to put on too many as I can only scroll up and down one at a time and it can take ages to get to the pic you want to view.

TV thing is only handy for occasions such as Christmas/Weddings etc. where you're taking pictures all day and end up back in some house with people wishing they had some photos to see ..
    I mean obviously you're not going to leave the photos on the camera forever ;)

That is a good idea Blade, a nice DVD Burner and Menu writing software would be ideal though :)

ANd on the subject..is there non-Kodak software that allows you to burn a PhotoCD? and does that format have any sort of directory or heirarchial structure to it as opposed to your VCD method? (I've never used it myself)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

I paid €380 for the "Fuji Finepix 2600", it's a fantastic entry level camera. Looks good and takes brilliant photos. Even has a zoom fucntion. It also uses USB to connect to a PC and it takes no effort at all to download your pics to a PC and edit them.

This is the one, defo!!!!

Anyone know any sites for Fuiji cameras?

I'm looking at trying to get a decent price on the 2800..
    on amazon.com its $280.. amazon.co.uk £280 ($480!!!)...
    and unfortunaly amazon.com don't ship cameras overseas.
    dabs.co.uk seem to have the same price as amazon.co.uk
    that internetcamerasdirect seem tobe the exact price again..

looking at nomatica at the mo, seems quite decent.

What's the software that comes with them like, in general?

Sceptre, do them websites ship to ireland (i.e. Have you ordered from them before), I haven't gotten the chance to look at them, cos I'm really busy at the minute.

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Sceptre, do them websites ship to ireland (i.e. Have you ordered from them before), I haven't gotten the chance to look at them, cos I'm really busy at the minute.

Outpost won't with some models (I assume it's a manufacturer directive) but will for others. The other two will ship to Ireland without any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have been looking at outpost.com and it is showing a sharp vec-g40u ... a 4 megapixel camera with 3 x optical zoom for the princely sum of 288 United States Dolla's ... I havent been able to find any reviews though .. it could be complete crap

If it is good it could be an option (no service outside US though) ...

[Edit]
    I looked all over and havent been able to find a single review ... is this a brand new product or is no-one bothering their arse reviewing it ?? ... anyway ... output to TV, movie mode, uses SD Memory Cards, records pics in JPEG ... lots of other stuff ... but there is no mention of how long it takes to save the pic to the SD card .. (i.e. do you have to wait for a few seconds between pics)
    [/Edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

anyone have any opinions on the canon ixus V (powershot s110)? seems like a nice camera has much of the features mentioned above

anyone have any opinions on the canon ixus V (powershot s110)? seems like a nice camera has much of the features mentioned above

Originally posted by Dataisgod

Personally I love the entire Ixus series and have intended buying one for some time (no money, go figure) - nice and small etc

If anyone has any bad things to say about them, please let me know (hell, let us all know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

What's the software that comes with them like, in general?

With the finepix 2600, comes finepix viewer, you can create slideshows with your pics, edit them, delete them, save them to HD, print them etc... It's pretty nifty.

I got my one in Pixels Here . They gave me good service and threw in a few extra's. They always have good deals, esp coming up to xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I bough my Minolta Dimage x at www.ny-camera.com Great fast and friendly service and their prices are very attractive.

There are many shops in the States that sell them at shocking prices, but never ever deliver world wide :(

i picked up the ixus v with an extra 64mb of compact flash, its a nice camera alright, its got a lithium ion battery so its got good life, and you would get a load of photos on the 64mb and it does movie, the only qualms is it on has 2x optical zoom compared to others in its class which has 3x and it is quite expensive.

That is a good idea Blade, a nice DVD Burner and Menu writing software would be ideal though :)

ANd on the subject..is there non-Kodak software that allows you to burn a PhotoCD? and does that format have any sort of directory or heirarchial structure to it as opposed to your VCD method? (I've never used it myself)

I was messing around with a few things there to see if I could get my dvd player to read the vcd pictures in folders but no joy, the files have to be in the root of the \segment dir. My player reads mp3's and vcd videos from directories so I thought it was worth a shot but :(

I haven't a clue about photoCD but it's worth looking into. Do stand alone players usually play the format though? I was under the impression that Nero burnt in photoCD format but I don't know enough about it so I'm probably wrong. Let me know if you find out anything that'll work on a normal stand alone dvd player that uses either folders or a menu. Would be nice if it could be done on a normal CD somehow cause you can fit over 2000 pics in VCD format on an 80min CDR. The DVD way might be best though especially if you can do nice menus. Keep me informed! :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Got my Olypus C220 digital camera yesterday and got plenty of play with it at a wedding! It's a fantastic camera, I find with easy navigation menus. It's only downfall is the small memory card that came with it. It has a 8MB Smartmedia card which means only about 7 images at full res. But I can easily upgrade it to 64MB card or something. The ability to plug it into the TV is a handy and neat touch too.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

While I agree that the Kodak cameras are a bit clunky I have yet to see a camera which beats the picture quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Kodak cameras are a laugh...plain useless, went through 2 of them in 1 week!. Batterys were ****, then camera goes all hectic.

Nothing can beat BenQ (the acer multimedia section)

http://benqshopper.com/dcdigcam.html

and...

http://benqshopper.com/dc21megdigca.html

You will be happy with them cameras and prices are just amazing....same goes with TFTs and all. :)

Originally posted by longword
    Add a Canon Powershot A40 to the list for consideration.

I went to www.pixels.ie and it was €900, is that right or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I went to www.pixels.ie and [the Canon Powershot A40] was €900, is that right or what?
    What happened there was you were momentarily blinded by the S40 model which is entirely different. The A40 is right there for €400 which is probably not the best price you'll see for it, but well within the ballpark.

Advertisement