Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gonna learn to play,

• 01-12-2002 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

the guitar, more than likely an acoustic one.
    can anyone tell me a good acoustic guitar for learners?

i dont know what id pay for one cause i intend to pay for it with whatever money i acquire over the xmas.
    but still i dont want to spend too much on it.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

If your just starting, I would get a very good Nylon string classical guitar, and start off by learning how to play classical.

It's something that I wish I started ages ago. I've only just been learning for the past few months and I have found it very useful in terms of developing more skills.

I think you should spend roughly about €200 for a secondhand classical. A good quality classical guitar is better than sex! If I had the dough I'd spend €4000 on one. Mmmmmmm:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

what do you mean by classical give me an example of a couple of songs....

and would you recommend and particular brand of guitars?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

He's talking about a Spanish guitar.

I say just get a cheapy acoustic guitar.

Do you want steel strings ala Dire Straits Romeo and Juliet or spanish nylon strings ala that corny Spanish guitar music they play in wine bars!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

My first acoustic was a Tanglewood (steel strings, cutaway) that I got for £130
    It's a nice guitar, great for starting out on

I really recommend having a cutaway in the body so you can reach higher up the fretboard (alway handy!)

There is a new Fender acoustic on the market which I believe is reasonably priced and sounds great, I think its a DG-something, but theres plenty of decent s/h acoustics out there. If you're buying new, steer well clear of cheapo models like the ones from argos etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd say get a Steel String Acoutic. Get the chops, then go onto Electric, and when your good enough, get what the hell you like :> (/me wants banjo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

MY first guitar was a gibson epiphone steel string i think the AJ15 model...

It was the only decent cheap left handed guitar I could find...Mind you i didnt search pretty too hard... I was clueless...

Anyways the action on it is pretty good and the accoustic sound is full and pretty damn good.

(I hear the mumblings already of the mention of a ginson epiphone lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

I think you should spend roughly about €200 for a secondhand classical. A good quality classical guitar is better than sex! If I had the dough I'd spend €4000 on one. Mmmmmmm
    Lol, you should play the violin, i'd spend €4000 on a bow if i had the dosh,

But really, once again i reccommend the yamaha e-310 i believe is the model number, its a great starter guitar, and it is about €160 depending where you look(/me suggests cael street or georges street area, about 20 shops in dublin, try the yamaha one for that guitar), and don;t get a nylon one cause if you do you wont be able to play a steel one for more than 5 mins at a time,

and yeah cutaway is generally for semi acoustic, which you probably don't want and just costs more, and wtf would you actually need a cutout for on your first guitar?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I would definately recommend a Fender DG-3 acoustic. The sound quality out of it is fantastic, and I have yet to find a guitar under 600 quid that sounds as good. Cost me about £130 when I got it, so you are definately talking less than €200. When you are just starting you are best off not getting a cheapo guitar. I did that and it set my playing back 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

When you are just starting you are best off not getting a cheapo guitar. I did that and it set my playing back 6 years.

lol, how long did you keep your cheapo guitar for?
    but yeah your right don't get one with nylon strings or you will have nightmares trying to play a steel string when you finally get one, but yeah it is much of a muchness between the good brand guitars, i'd pick yamaha some pick the fender but which ever you like most is the one you should pick cause really cant go to far wrong these days if you stick to the well known brands, and yess you will sometimes also get a cheap guitar that just happens to sound amazing but that doesn;t mean every other one of that model will,

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Originally posted by Gordon
    He's talking about a Spanish guitar.

spanish nylon strings ala that corny Spanish guitar music they play in wine bars!

Quite a narrow view there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement