Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Address in Irish?

• 01-12-2002 6:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭

Being the big supporter of Gaeilge that I am ;) , I just would like to confirm that I use the Irish version of my postal address instead of the English one.

Thanks for any reply.

Jeremiah

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

That must be really feckin confusing for the post man.

100th post hurahhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

DamienH,

So as far as you know, can I or can't I? Ireland is officially bilingual isn't it? Road signs are in Irish, national carrier's welcome onboard message is in Irish, government documents are in Irish? I must have able to use my Irish postal address, right?

If not, is there any Gaeilge lobby group I can complain to? ;)

Jeremiah

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I presume you're missing a can here:
    I just would like to confirm that I [...] use the Irish version
    ?

My aunt uses the Irish version of her address all the time, whereas her mother uses the English version for the same address, and it's never been a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by embraer170
    Being the big supporter of Gaeilge that I am ;) , I just would like to confirm that I use the Irish version of my postal address instead of the English one.

Thanks for any reply.

Jeremiah

I use mine in Irish all the time. Sometimes takes a day or two longer to get here, but I think that's prolly cause our postman is a díck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I used to get my school reports a day later than anyone else in my class, because my address was in Irish :)

I tend to switch between the two addy's, whichever comes to mind first

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your replies. A "second name" ;) will come in handy.

Jeremiah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by embraer170
    Many thanks for your replies. A "second name" ;) will come in handy.
    I would query the concept of using your personal name in Irish, especially in quasi-legal matters, your name is your name, unless you deed poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I always use my irish name but only use my irish address MOST of the time. I've never had any hassle with getting my post, either way.
    As far as I know the postal service is obliged to deliver such letters. People have been doing it(albeit a minority) since the early 20th century when the irish revivalist movement managed to pressurise the then British postal service to deliver all letters be they addressed in English or in Irish.
    Those were the days when the revivalist movement was ful of idealism and vigour and national language revival seemed quite an easily achievable aim. Though it's easy to judge with hindsight isn't it.I suppose we must learn from their mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭rien_du_tout

Does any1 know if housing estate signs have to be bi-lingual? Our residents association doesnt want it but sure how's the postman gonna find the place otherwise!!

Also, any help on the translation of "Tournore"??

Thx,
    Seán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Victor said:
    I would query the concept of using your personal name in Irish, especially in quasi-legal matters, your name is your name, unless you deed poll.
    From the Constitution of Ireland:

Article 8.

The Irish language as the national language is the first official language.

The English language is recognized as a second official language.

Provision may, however, be made by law for the exclusive use of either of the said languages for any one or more official purposes, either throughout the State or in any part thereof.

To clarify, - my take on it is that - legally - you may call yourself by either your English name or your Irish name, but once you commit to using one or the other for any 'official' purpose (such as signing cheques for example), then you may, under Irish law, have to stick with using it in that language for that purpose.

Mind you, I'd imagine "official" purposes here refers to "official" functions of the Government or state rather than the individual.

[ ref.: "THE STATE" - Articles 4 - 11, Constitution of Ireland, TCD School of Mathematics web site ]

• Advertisement

Thanks again for your replies. Much appreciated.

Don't worry, not doing anything "illegal" with my Irish name.

Jer

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I think what Bard is trying to say is that you cant really legally use your name in Irish if its an English spelled name.

ie. if your name is spelled in English on you birth cert in English, you cant just use the Irish version of that name.

that would include on your postal address, as it's legal not for you if it doesn’t have your legal name on the letter/package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bee JJ

We all as Irish citizens have the right to and legal option in using the Gaelic version of our Irish names,
    just as newly wedded wives have the right to and legal option in using and taking their husbands name in marriage.
    The name can be used at any time in any document, but once the newer version of the persons name is used. Then it must stay in use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Bee JJ
    We all as Irish citizens have the right to and legal option in using the Gaelic version of our Irish names,
    just as newly wedded wives have the right to and legal option in using and taking their husbands name in marriage.
    The name can be used at any time in any document, but once the newer version of the persons name is used. Then it must stay in use.

You do, if your name is legal spelled in Irish!

Other wise it not legally your name. But you can change it deed poll as bard said.

(this is my take on the law, it might not be the law)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I think my birth cert name is in irish...
    Hope so, I haven't spelled it the english way as far as I can remember :P

I think gardaí are supposed to speak irish to you if you address them in irish too, but I doubt many of them actually bother to learn it beyond a pass D in the leaving cert.

"Is this your cocaine?"
    "Tá brón orm? Cad a dúirt tú?"
    "Don't get smart now."
    "Eh? Ní thuigim... nach bhfuil tú in ann gaeilge a labhairt?"
    "Ahh, forget it."
    "Heh, heh, heh."

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 VETov

You learn somekink new every day

Originally posted by zynaps
    I think gardaí are supposed to speak irish to you if you address them in irish too, but I doubt many of them actually bother to learn it beyond a pass D in the leaving cert.
    Well actually, I think Irish is one of the subjects in the Garda College and if they get the hint you are messing with them, they will just get a fluent Gaelgóir (who will probably have better Irish than you) and screw you for every charge they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 VETov

Originally posted by Victor
    A Garda fluent in 2 languages

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    :p

Na bi ag magadh faoi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Victor
    Well actually, I think Irish is one of the subjects in the Garda College and if they get the hint you are messing with them, they will just get a fluent Gaelgóir (who will probably have better Irish than you) and screw you for every charge they can.

Well, I think the chances are that a fluent gaelgóir will be likely to sympathise with an attempt (if you make it look sincere ;)) at cultural patriotism (heh!), and if you get on well with them, they might make things easier on you than yer original garda may have.

...Of course, this is just pointless speculation, but fun, ey :)

zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

I used my name on the voting register and now the 'shinners' think I'm one of them...

BTW the amount of junk mail due to the register is unreal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I thought that you had to be able to read postal addresses in Irish to be a postman. I mean its not that hard to know names of towns and counties in irish all of them are sign posted in Irish
    and all the Trainstations are in Irish too, the GAA use the Irish for their addresses.

Strange how the GAA don't call themselves the CLG, then...?

Personally, I think that most Irish town names sound better/nicer in the original Irish. They certainly have more actual meaning, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

On there note paper they do as far as i know. but there know more as the GAA and CLG just doesn't have the same ring.

And the postmen would get all confussed if they say CLG on the letter anyway.

Actually I worked in Directory Inquires and the GAA are under Cumann Luclase Geal (sp/lit???). so there.

There are plenty of National Bodies under their Irish Addresses.

Originally posted by Elmo

Actually I worked in Directory Inquires and the GAA are under Cumann Luclase Geal (sp/lit???). so there.

It's "Cumann Luthcleas Gael" (as far as I'm aware), and yes, I'd expect National or state run bodies to be listed under their Irish names considering it is the first official language of the country and so it'd be only appropriate that they do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

If personal names are acceptable in Irish once they've been made known as such, what about older versions of names. I know this applies to English and most languages, but considering the relative 'newness' of modern Irish spelling, how does a name, being the same word, with up to three or four times as many characters apply.

Also, how does one translate the name of an estate. Usually there's an easy Irish translation, but even still, unless the name is specifically supplied in Irish, does it apply.

What long form names do you mean? Like Clóda -v- Clodagh?

"Seabury" in Malahide (has something like 29 roads / avenues / vales - you get the idea) has bilingual signs (not sure how they translated it), even though "Seabury" is not a very Irish name. Seabury, presumably came from the nearby "Seatown Road" (there is no Seatown).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭seaghdhas

What I mean is Ó Sé used to be spelt Ó Seaghdha. I don't know many other older versions of personal names but this is true for place names (An Lú - An Lubhaigh; An Mí - An Midhe) and I'm sure the language itself has been simplified (this is something I don't know enough about). Basically, how does the older version stand up legally, or even as far as being understood?

English sounding place names are what they are. Bury, I assume, is from borough. So Seabury would be Ceantair na Mara in Irish. But would your average postie know this? And, again, can the Irish translation be used legally?

You may use the Irish version of your address, but in some areas this may delay delivery.

You may only represent yourself as one person Michael John Murphy (on birth cert) can represent himself (other than casually) as that or as "Murphy", "Michael J Murphy ", "MJ Murphy", but not "Mike Murphy", "Micky Murphy", "Spud Murphy" or "Michael O'Murchú"(sp) without a deed poll.

Victor... can you quote a source for this which you are saying you "may" and "may not" do...?

• Advertisement

Most of it is common sense, but certainly the Companies Registration Office www.cro.ie (registration of business names) and the Revenue Commissioners (www.revenue.ie) have rules about what you call yourself. No doubt the Banks, Garda and the Courts have similar rules, as do most state agencies.

Advertisement