Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reinstall win2k on new pc?

• 01-12-2002 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

im upgrading my pc parts (mobo, cpu etc) and will be keeping me 100gb hd with win2k on it. i wont have to like reintstall win2k will i? for some reason?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

You can get away with not reinstalling, because windows will detect your new hardware, but from experience I find it is best to reinstall, as there can often be stability trouble. Anyway no harm in having a new registry;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

it's best to re-install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

proper method of doing it.
    is using ntbackup.exe

it was designed for someone doing a chipset change and wishing to migrate that windows install to the newly installed windows environment.

a fresh install is unecessary

full explanation is just a short search in the kb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If you don't have the disk(s) for a reinstall is to burn a copy of the i386 directory from your hard disk onto a cd. If it all goes Pete Tong you can install from this with winnt.exe.
    It will ask you again for your product code which I think is also easily got from your system, but I can't remember how exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

gui_xp, kb? what's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

kb = knowledge base

Metinks he means http://support.mocrosoft.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Advertisement