Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Playstation

Options
  • 01-12-2002 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

M E G A T O N
    The Sonic, Megaman, Mario photo has a little something extra. It also spells PS2

can"Nintendo is set to file suit against Sony next week, declaring that the Playstation brand, and all of the profits made by Sony from it's sale, belong to Nintendo. While reading over the original contract between Sony and Nintendo (Sony were to make a CD drive for the Super Nes, entitled the Playstation), a lawyer for Nintendo noticed some key wording which showed that it was Sony's responsibility to make the drive, and that they broke the contract, not Nintendo, like initially believed. you

According to sources, Nintendo is almost assured a victory, gaining all the profit's made by Sony off the Playstation since its introduction in 1996. Even if Nintendo do not win outright, they are guaranteed the rights to the Playstation name, and Sony will have to immediatley change the name of their console." smell

This is what will make Nintendo systems go flying from the shelves people. The "Nintendo Playstation," people won't know the difference, unsuspecting customers everywhere will be buying Nintendo, thinking that it's Sony.the
    Sony is in a world of hurt."

;)

http://rpg2knet.com/four-um/topic.test.php?post_id=68010

http://www.penny-arcade.com/phorum/viewtopic.php?topic=22546&forum=13&67
    bull****
    http://s2.cgi.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.asp?board=965&topic=5338181

http://www.gamernewsnetwork.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Ahahah, as someone on the gamefaqs forum said, "That whole thing reads like something someone wearing a tinfoil helmet would say.".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

That has to be BS! Theres no way thats gonna happen, I doubt that Sony would make such a large slip up as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

hey jazz how did you get that 40k pic to load so quick for your site?

edit: do'h it was 40 k

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It must be complete crap...All these revelations came from posts on various forums and I don't believe a word...At least not until it's officially confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Fail to see how a contract between Sony and Nintendo to make a CD drive (even if part of the story is true) would make a damn of a difference to Son'y ownership of the PSX trademark logo and brandname (registered in the normal fashion in numerous territories)

Total BS? All signs point to yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Aye it all seems very dubious so Im sticking with the BS side until facts materialise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Blatant bull****.

Well when Nintendo were making the Playstation in conjunction with Sony, It is possible that Nintendo and Sony both copyrighted the name (joint ownership). And if Sony DID break the contract, Nintendo could have a case, but I'm pretty sure it WAS Nintendo who got rid of Sony first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

This isn't the megaton announcement. No way in hell. It'd have had to be all over the Japanese markets by now if they were going to file suit over something this big.

There may be some litigation about to happen on this issue but it'll be low profile and probably settled out of court. Megaton is something different.

I heard it was to do with the new Zelda came coming with Ura Zelda included. Even though we already know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

A long discussed argument at the launch of the PS1.

Sony and Nintendo had a contract to coproduce the 'Snes-CD'. a 32-bit upgrade to the SNES. The two companies fell at odds after Sony wanted to market the technology to other console manufacturers, namely Sega and Atari.

Nintendo wanted it's usual iron-grip and so they turned to Philips for the idea (that deal fell through too). Now, there was no breach of contract on Nintendos part although it's largely believed that there was. However, it may be, that there was a clause in the contract between them, prohibiting Sony from marketing the idea, and if that is the case then Nintendo does in fact have a legal case with which to sue.

I highly doubt it though. Statute of limitations alone would suggest that this is false, as Nintendo would be bound to keep this tight lipped.

Edit: The megaton is due at a games conference in Japan on the 21st of December I believe, so no announcement to date has anything to do with it.

Originally posted by theciscokid
    hey jazz how did you get that 450k pic to load so quick for your site?
    It's a 40k jpeg :confused:

What all this megaton business then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

An announcement being made by Nintendo soon, which will be really significant in the future of the entire planet, if you believe what some people are saying.

It'll probably end up as being nothing more than Nintendo announcing an exclusivity deal for some 3rd party franchise or, my theory, that Nintendo have kidnapped Santa and aren't letting him go unless GameCube sales pick up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Jazz
    It's a 40k jpeg :confused:

I think he is talking about the image on your site http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/oconork/ ?

so am I... hence the :confused:
    ...or, my theory, that Nintendo have kidnapped Santa and aren't letting him go unless GameCube sales pick up.
    LOL I've had my fun, they can keep the bastard! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

back in 1992-1994 Nintendo made a deal with Sony to make a Cd add on for the SNES but Nintendo, behind Sonys back signed a deal with Philips to do the same deal but cheaper and then the bad blood between Sony and Nintendo began.

I hope Nintendo win the case because I think they do own the name Playstation.

-Senbotsu

The reason why they fell out was , sony wanted hardware rights over the proposed "playstation" and they wanted nintendo to have the software..

but that could of been a factor also, anyone remember that edutainment title Zelda on the philips CD-i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

this is complete Horse S***!
    This is jus a story generated by Nintendo fanboys. They are trying to attach some credence (to the story) that Sony was at one stage goin to co-produce a console with Nintendo, but it didnt work out and Sony decided to go it alone with the PS1.(this is where the truth part stops)

I dont even think this joint project was goin to be called the Playstation. As for Nintendo owning the name Playstation LOL !

All i can think of (as suggested b4) thats its a poor PR stunt to help raise some badly needed Gamecube sales this xmas.

If the Megaton announcement is for real(at a guess) its prob to say that Nintendo is quiting the Console Hardware market (like Sega) .

Nintendo has prob realised that making a console (at a loss -all Console makers manufactuer the console at a loss-they make the real $€£ from software sales) based around three exclusives a year(Mario/Zedla & Metriod Prime) (maybe Resi Evil) is a v bad Business plan and they can only loose money for so long.

The Japanese Economy is also in a really bad way at present.

I dont even think it was goin to be called the Playstation

t'was
    All i can think of (as suggested b4) thats its a poor PR stunt to help raise some badly needed Gamecube sales this xmas.

nintendo never said anything about an announcement , famitsu mentioned something in their magazine, then of course the americans got hold of the story
    If the Megaton announcement is for real(at a guess) its prob to say that Nintendo is quiting the Console Hardware market (like Sega) .

the big N are very much competing with M$ and Sony in 2005 etc..

based around three exclusives (Mario/Zedla & Metriod Prime) (maybe Resi Evil) is a v bad Business plan and they can only loose money for so long

they made 3 billion from pokemon, smash brothers melee is so far the best selling game etc..

they do rest alot on the big hitters but thats only natural they bring in the big bucks,

M$ were lucky enough with halo, talk about a dependency on a game, kinda like the goldeneye saviour

you could look at sony with ea , they generate lots of revenue for the company,

The Japanese Economy is also in a really bad way at present

the japanese game market has never been stronger or healthier ,
    poor xbox,

and the announcement is pure drivel , but no-one can say 100% for definite in case it isn't :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Do i detect fanboyism????

:)

KdjaC

• Advertisement

no, not me

i'm cynical about all three honest,

okay i like xbox,pc,gba,fm town marty (only kiddin) and gc ,

for reasons unknown to me , i despise fony

M'kay,Jus answer the question Cisco are u on Nintendos payroll?
    maybe in their Black Ops division?

LOL!
    :D

I doubt Nintendo will see those levels of moolah from Pokeman again and the sales figues for SuperMarioSunshine( their main exclusive brand) were v disapointing (even in Japan)

cant say its a 100% hoax, but unlikely to be anything but.

yeah sales of sunshine have not reached their expectations

i dunno kids these days, very unpredictable

i tell you if we had broadband here , i'd be out the door so quick to get an xbox,

fable mmm,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Nintendo has prob realised that making a console (at a loss -all Console makers manufactuer the console at a loss-they make the real $€£ from software sales)

Nintendo make a far smaller loss from their hardware than Microsoft do. Sony currently sell the PS2 at break-even, Nintendo lose so little on the Cube that they break even on a Cube and one game. Given the global tie ratio for the console is about 4.2, they're making nice money on the system already in pure operating profit terms. Nintendo will be in hardware for a long time, because they know how to squeeze cash out of it.
    they can only loose money for so long.

They're not losing money. They've never lost money, to the best of my knowledge - Nintendo is one of the only consistently profitable companies in the games industry. That's why they have a 7 billion dollar stash of liquid assets tucked away.
    The Japanese Economy is also in a really bad way at present.

Hmm. It's on a slide (for various complex economic and social reasons - basically Japan is not handling the transition from its old culture to modern culture well at all, so you have birthrate falling through the floor and all the attendant economic problems that go with that - this is the root of the problem but obviously it builds up in massively complex layers over that). I wouldn't say it's in a "really bad way" though; we're not talking a stock market crash here with investors throwing themselves out windows. Many of the big companies are still very strong indeed and will probably weather the storm very nicely - both Sony and Nintendo are in that group.

Shinji: I'd have to check but i'm pretty sure that at the last nintendo shareholder financial meeting, it was said that reduced production costs meant that Nintendo were no longer making a loss on consoles.

Everyone: Nintendo has $7.2 Billion dollars in Liquid Assets (cash, easily sold bonds). The possibility of a purchase is not impossible, just not very likely. Nintendo has always had a policy of investing in new talent, not acquiring old and possibly stale franchises. (not a bash. And i'm well aware that they paid Capcom for exclusivity of RE).

The 'anouncement that shall remain nameless :rolleyes: ' Was started by v-jump, and is said to be announced at a v-jump sponsored event on or around the 21st of this month.

Mario Sunshine actually sold very well, true it wasn't of Mario 64 proportions, but that was a genre redefining game, SMS is not.

Of the 3 major console manufacturers Nintendo has the worst European policy. Splinter Cell, the big Xbox game of 2002, was released in Europe only a few short weeks after its US launch. True it's an Ubi-soft game, and again true, it's only exclusive until Jan 31st 2003, BUT Metroid Prime wasn't given the same treatment by Nintendo.

Metroid isn't a big franchise here, but it would be bigger than SFA.
    Hmm. It's on a slide (for various complex economic and social reasons - basically Japan is not handling the transition from its old culture to modern culture well at all, so you have birthrate falling through the floor and all the attendant economic problems that go with that - this is the root of the problem but obviously it builds up in massively complex layers over that). I wouldn't say it's in a "really bad way" though; we're not talking a stock market crash here with investors throwing themselves out windows. Many of the big companies are still very strong indeed and will probably weather the storm very nicely - both Sony and Nintendo are in that group.

Yeah very true, not to mention they have deflating prices rather than inflating. But as you say, they love their consoles and have always been willing to front the money for them.

Anyway this rant went on a little longer than it should have, i hope David Gosen grows some balls to take on Nintendo Japan.

gosen is a muppet and quite frankly nintendo europe is run by muppets,

i hope M$ eats them all for breakfast

You picked a bad month to say this Corben:
    I doubt Nintendo will see those levels of moolah from Pokeman again and the sales figues for SuperMarioSunshine( their main exclusive brand) were v disapointing (even in Japan)

Japanese chart:

TOP 10 Weekly Software Sales (November 18 - November 24, 2002)

Ranking Platform Title Genre Publisher Release Date MSRP
    1 GBA Pokemon Sapphire RPG Pokemon 2002.11.21 \4,800
    2 GBA Pokemon Ruby RPG Pokemon 2002.11.21 \4,800
    3 GC Resident Evil 0 ADV Capcom 2002.11.21 \7,800
    4 GBA Super Robot Battle: Original Generation SLG Banpresto 2002.11.22 \5,800
    5 GC Mario Party 4 ETC Nintendo 2002.11.08 \6,800
    6 PS2 Taiko No Tatsujin ACT Namco 2002.10.24 \6,980
    7 PS2 BREATH OF FIRE: DRAGON QUARTER RPG Capcom 2002.11.14 \6,800
    8 PS2 Pop'n music 7 ACT Konami 2002.11.21 \6,800
    9 PS2 Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Great Adventure 3 RPG Enix 2002.10.31 \6,800
    10 PS2 Zero 4 Champ Series: Drift Champ RCE Hudson 2002.11.21 \6,800

[Edit]Chart courtesy of Media Create [/Edit]

There were 2 million preorders for those two games in japan, and combined over 800k units were sold.....in one day. :eek:

Didn't get them from a forum, got them from Media create. I will reflect that in my post.

ok interesting facts Kevok!

I would be v interested to see what sort of numbers the PokeMan Games pull in, and is Pokeman yesterdays news & last years fad in Euroland?

pls find the IGN game sales charts (+plus the hardware sales as well) for the wk.

--"The entire chart for 10/28 to 11/3 can be seen below. Once again, a warning. These sales figures do not represent the full number of games sold; rather, they're just an accumulation of sales from a large number of stores in Japan. Notable absences in the stores polled by Famitsu are Toys R Us and Sega's Online service, among others. Check out the beginning of this story for more details on how these sales stats are compiled.
    · 1. Dragon Quest Characters Toruneko's Big Adventure 3, Enix, PS2: 303,058 (new - 10/31)
    · 2. From TV One Piece Treasure Battle, Bandai, GC: 81,496 (new - 11/1)
    · 3. Hoshi no Kirby: Yume no Izumi Deluxe, Nintendo, GBA: 59,290 (249,133 since 10/25)
    · 4. Final Fantasy II, Square, PSX: 56,693 (new - 10/31)
    · 5. Final Fantasy, Square, PSX: 55,095 (new - 10/31)
    · 6. Ultraman Fighting Evolution 2, Banpresto, PS2: 39,674 (new - 10/31)
    · 7. Final Fantasy 1&2 Premium Pack, Square, PSX: 35,091 since 10/31)
    · 8. Tales of the World Narikiri Dungeon 2, Namco, GBA: 26,134 (112,721 since 10/25)
    · 9. Medal of Honor, EA-Square, PS2: 20,556 (48,098 since 10/24)
    · 10. Simple Character 2000 Series Vol. 13, Bandai, PS2: 15,766 (90,715 since 10/10)
    · 11. Simple Character 2000 Series Vol. 12, Bandai, PS2: 13,685 (84,225 since 10/10)
    · 12. Gakuen Toshi, Idea Factory, PS2: 12,357 (new - 10/31)
    · 13. Gyakuten Saiban 2, Capcom, GBA: 11,711 (86,321 since 10/18)
    · 14. Super Mario Advance 3, Nintendo, GBA: 10,776 (251,169 since 9/20)
    · 15. Shin Sangoku Musou 2 Moushouden, Koei, PS2: 10,670 (650,350 since 8/29)
    · 16. The Keihama Kyukou Train Simulator Real, SCE, PS2: 10,368 (new - 10/31)
    · 17. Hissatsu Pachinko Station V5, Sun Soft, PS2: 10,366 (new - 10/31)
    · 18. Monster Farm Advance 2, Tecmo, GBA: 9,618 (32,772 since 10/25)
    · 19. Only You w/ Drama CD, Gen-X, PS2: 7,789 (new - 10/31)
    · 20. Densetsu no Starfee, Nintendo, GBA: 7,743 (212,219 since 9/6)
    · 21. Innocent Black, Work Jam, PS2: 7,090 (26,091 since 10/24)
    · 22. Gyakuten Saiban Best Price!, Capcom, GBA: 6,491 (21,068 since 10/18)
    · 23. Simple 2000 Series Ultimate Vol. 3, D3, PS2: 6,469 (51,602 since 9/26)
    · 24. Star Fox Adventure, Nintendo, GCN: 6,420 (230,122 since 9/27)
    · 25. Minna no Golf 3 - Mega Hits!, SCE, PS2: 5,226 (114,460 since 7/18)
    · 26. Super Mario Sunshine, Nintendo, GCN: 5,112 (638,611 since 7/19)
    · 27. Namco Super Wars, Namco, WS: 4,979 (new - 10/31)
    · 28. Eternal Darkness, Nintendo, GCN: 4,811 (15,322 since 10/25)
    · 29. Energy Air Force, Taito, PS2: 4,433 (84,051 since 9/26)
    · 30. Jikkyu Powerful Pro Baseball 9, Konami, PS2: 4,100 (410,174 since 7/18)

HARDWARE SALES
    (10/21 to 10/27)
    GBA fever tapers down just a bit, but Nintendo's handheld system still manages to dominate this week's sales. Will Sony's price drops and new colors help turn the tide a few weeks down the road? We think so...
    · Game Boy Advance: 49,610 (2,088,036 this year)
    · PS2: 38,228 (3,077,436 this year)
    · GameCube: 15,697 (727,437 this year)
    · PSOne: 2,467 (218,698 this year)
    · Xbox: 2,655 (291,703 this year)
    · Swan Crystal: 1,197 (101,007 this year)
    · Wonder Swan Color: 773 (94,788 this year)
    · Game Boy Color: 478 (97,374 this year)

>source IGN.com 'Gaming life In Japan'
    not as up to date as your chart but it showns sales numbers. The hardware chart shows GC doing average numbers but nothing selling like the numbers of PS2. Its even beating GBA but then GBA is a hand held not a console.

Nintendo has one game(ok its second) in the top 23 and perhaps the most telling is Super Mario Sunshine has only hauled in 638,600 copies and Starfox Adventures 230,000.
    SMS would noramally be a million plus seller.

The whole chart is /has been dominated by PS2 and GBA games.
    And as Gba is not even a console its not bring the same revenue into the big N's coffers.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement