Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd PC on Network

Options
  • 01-12-2002 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I will putting a 3rd PC on my network. Its Ethernet with Cat. 5 Crossover Cable, how would I put the 3rd on the network?

Is there any other way besides a hub? I've seen a NIC with 3 connectors on it, could i get my hands on a cheap one of these, what are they called.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

A hub/switch would be far simpler you know, what if you want to add a fourth/fifth PC cheaply? You could look at wireless gear. I remember reading a thread in this forum recently asking a similar question you might do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Check the for sale board or komplett.. hubs are dirt cheap, I'd say you could pick one up for about the €30 mark.
    Apart from that its a case of putting an extra network card in one of the machines... and thats only really a good idea if its a win 2k or unix machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Genius do a card called the GH4050.
    It's a PCI NE2000 clone (Realtek 8029) with 5 ports on it.
    Works perfectly in Linux and windows.
    Port 1 can even be crossovered with jumpers if you need to connect it to a hub.

I've bought a couple over the last few years.
    Peats in Dublin often have them - I think about 40 euro.

You can use your existing crossover cable into the jumpered port 1,
    and then you only need one new cable.

Niall B.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just buy a 100Mbit 8-port switch.
    You can get them handy enough iof you stay away from big shops.
    Or lok in second hand gaffs.

I got a 24-port 100Mbit switch for €350

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I was looking at switches for around €90 on komplett but id probably go for a second hand one. Would be nice alright.

I have one win xp machine and the rest would be win 98SE i'd say.
    I was thinking of getting linux, but dont have a clue about it so I'll might leave it for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Is there any other way besides a hub? I've seen a NIC with 3 connectors on it, could i get my hands on a cheap one of these, what are they called.
    I've seen one with, I think, 4 connectors. It was a network card with a built in hub. I would go for a cheap external hub, though.

Advertisement