Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a laptop here or in the states?

• 01-12-2002 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

My sister is looking into buying a laptop and seeing as she's going to New York for a holiday in two weeks time she asked me if should get one here or wait till she was in the states. I'm not really sure of the laptop market so I thought I'd look for some advice. Will you get better value over in the states then here or is it not worth the hassel of finding a reliable vendor over there. Also can she expect to get tech support over here if something goes wrong with it?

Roughly the sort of specs she's looking for is:
    1.6 ghz processor
    256 mbs ram
    40 gig harddrive
    Dvd/cd combo drive

What make/model would you suggest with those specs in mind and what price would you expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Will you get better value over in the states then here
    Yes. Definitely.
    Also can she expect to get tech support over here if something goes wrong with it?

Ah, there's the rub. In the same way that many manufacturers over here will give the purchaser a Europe-wide warranty, quite a few over there will give a North American (or just US) warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I got my Dell laptop in the US almost a year ago and got a friend to send it over.
    Got fined by customs for €400, and shipping was €100, and still ended up with the laptop €300 cheaper than dell.ie. :)
    And dell let you transfer the ownership to anywhere in the world so the warranty stays valid. :)
    Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Is a dell the best type of laptop out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

toshiba ... if ive spelt it right .. get one of em . there is some nice ones released over there they may b a bit more expensive then others but worth it . stay well away from all sony ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by bkehoe
    I got my Dell laptop in the US almost a year ago and got a friend to send it over.
    Got fined by customs for €400
    Fined? Or charged the standard VAT/import duty?

• Advertisement

I'd like to think of it as fined seeing as its fairly rare, though yes it was vat/etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

can you claim back the vat on the laptop, if bought in the states. Does the "tax free for tourists" thing apply there too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Is a dell the best type of laptop out there?
    No, Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by elexes
    toshiba ... if ive spelt it right .. get one of em . there is some nice ones released over there they may b a bit more expensive then others but worth it . stay well away from all sony ones
    I'd have to agree with elexes.. Got a top of the range Toshiba laptop a couple of months ago and its excellent. Paid dearly for the performance tho...
    No, Apple.
    roflmao, move that to the humour board :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Apples rock, rymus.

I'd trust anything from apple, ibm, dell, toshiba and, to a lesser extent, compaq, who seem to get their laptops a lot righter than their desktops.

If you just buy it there and bring it with you in your bag home, i doubt customs will nab you? i could be wrong.

And that warranty advantage Brendan mentioned about Dells seems like a safe option.

Can you ask her to buy me one while she's there, too? ;D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tell her to wait for the next laptop offer from Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

If you're going for the Dell option it'd be worth calling the customer care or warranty sales team here first just to make sure that you can transfer the warranty...

http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=CC1011182#2ndstep
    When ownership of a Dell system changes, a transfer of ownership to the new owner should be registered for the system. This will allow the new owner to take advantage of any remaining warranty, if applicable.

They also support machines bought on ebay and other auction sites, assuming there is some warranty remaining.
    Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Thanks for all the information lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by bkehoe
    http://support.dell.com/us/en/kb/document.asp?DN=CC1011182#2ndstep
    When ownership of a Dell system changes, a transfer of ownership to the new owner should be registered for the system. This will allow the new owner to take advantage of any remaining warranty, if applicable.

I know that you can transfer the warranty to a different person. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the valid area of the warranty.

For instance, in Ireland / the UK, the inspiron range ship with either a European collect and return ("anywhere in Europe where Dell has a presence") or an International next business day warranty ("anywhere in the world where Dell has a presence"). The Lattitude range ships with "3 years International Next Business Day On-Site service". One of their cross selling points from the inspiron range to the lattitude range is that the international warranty comes as standard. Make sure the Dell notebook from the states has an international warranty - but you may have to buy on of the more expensive, "business" notebooks to get this type of warranty. If you go to the States and something goes wrong with an inspiron with a European warranty, you're out of luck.

Dell's US website doesn't seem to have any info on this, so you'll need to talk to someone in Dell to sort it out. If I was still working there, I could find out for you, but customer care or warranty sales should be able to help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Haha, my powers of prediction have been borne out at lightning speed! Aldi has a new lapotp baby on sale this week (in Holland at least, it might be another week before it's on sale in Ireland). It's a 2.6Gig behemoth, with 256MB ram, 40 Gb HD, 64MB video card with snazzy TV in/out, for the not unreasonable sum of 1600 of your earth euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Advertisement