Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why no NICAM on Irish channels on Chorus Cork cable?

• 01-12-2002 10:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why there us no NICAM on RTE 1, NET2, TV3, and TG4 on the Chorus Cable system (analogue) in Cork. None of the channels have NICAM.
    I realise it might be the case that the Chorus scrambling system might corrupt NICAM?
    But the 4 Irish channels are not scrambled so why not provide at least these with NICAM on cable????
    Its ridiculous if cable subscribers have to install aerials to get NICAM stereo on these stations (if they want it) since one of the advantages of cable should be not needing aerials for anything and lessening the number of TV aerials on the skyline?

Comments

Chorus do not at least in my area provide stereo at all on analog mmds.
    Imagine paying through the nose for having sky premier with them, in mono with a wavy picture:o

I suggest you ring them and tell them if they do not provide what is a very basic requirement like stereo sound , that you wil move to a
    professional outfit
    like Sky digital.
    You can say that even if you plan to or not.
    I'd also be informing RTé directly of the cráp quality on their channels being relayed by chorus.

Now as chorus customer service is legendary for being non existant and unreliable don't be expecting any results from your complaints to them, just more amatuerish transmission standards bettered probably by any provider in outer mongolia:rolleyes:
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

also make sure you get the name of the person you talk to in full.

then get their supervisors name while you are at it, give them 3 working days to fix the problem or to explain in writing, in detail why they won't

then complain to the ODTR

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jasper

Luckily I get the Irish channels in stereo via Chorus here in Kildare. BUT all the UK channels etc. are in Mono. This really pi**es me off, especially for music programmes. I should go for Sky but having a few kids I need the facility to watch different channels in various rooms around the house.
    I am not too familiar with cable distribution systems,but I would have thought that providing programming in stereo should not be too difficult.

Probably because they are using mmds to get you the UK channels including Sky:eek:
    But an aerial is used to take RTÉ etc off the air.

Chorus do not care for stereo, it's too expensive:confused:

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jasper

Originally posted by Man
    Probably because they are using mmds to get you the UK

Oh dear!

• Advertisement
Advertisement