Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cuts

Options
  • 02-12-2002 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

We got two postcards from the ESB last week, saying due to equipment upgrades, they need to shut off our power for four hours tomorrow, and from 9am-4pm on Wednesday.

Has anyone else had these postcards through the door? And are we going to get any compensation? I mean, any food I have in the fridge is going to be ruined or dodgy to eat if the fridge is off for seven hours, i'm going to have to eat out that day, and I also have tropical fish who need heat and a filter and aren't going to take too kindly to having neither for an entire day.

Who do they think they are doing this when people are at home? Isn't it possible for ESB to perform upgrades after midnight when electricity usage is at its lowest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

We got 1 a few months ago saying something like "Your power will be shut off from 2pm - 6pm",
    but they only shut it off for around 20 minutes.. i think it means your power could be shut off anywhere between those hours..

Here in the sticks, we get those postcards regularally, maybe six or seven in a year and always they state the hours 9 to 4pm or so.
    There is no compo for them and it usually means in our case that they are connecting new houses.
    Food in your freezer will not go off in that period, especially if it is packed.
    un announced Power cuts are regular here due to storms also-cue act of God...no compo there either, if reconnected within 24 hours or so...
    And by the way the wind is howling out there tonight...won't be long now...for the candles...
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Man

And by the way the wind is howling out there tonight...won't be long now...for the candles...
    mm

I have no problems with storms knocking out the power, ours was out for three hours today (Drogheda), but if the power is off for an extended period i'm going to be pissed!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

As connecting new premises or upgrading existing ones would most likely involve climbing a pole and maybe doing stuff to a transformer or whatever, I think it's a pretty rediculous to suggest that the linemen do this "after midnight" as a rule :rolleyes:

We got a new premises connected to 3 phase a couple of years ago in January.... about 20 guys were involved in connecting up the new wire run (1 mile rural).... It was a day that a dog wouldn't peep out, yet these guys were up top of poles for most of the day. It certainly gave me a new respect for what they do.

Originally posted by Licksy20
    As connecting new premises or upgrading existing ones would most likely involve climbing a pole and maybe doing stuff to a transformer or whatever, I think it's a pretty rediculous to suggest that the linemen do this "after midnight" as a rule :rolleyes:

We got a new premises connected to 3 phase a couple of years ago in January.... about 20 guys were involved in connecting up the new wire run (1 mile rural).... It was a day that a dog wouldn't peep out, yet these guys were up top of poles for most of the day. It certainly gave me a new respect for what they do.
    Yeap, and here(north Wexford) last bank holiday w/end the power was off with the storms for 36 hours.
    The ESB crew beside us had five new poles to put up in the lashings of rain to get it back.
    It eventually went off again last night, and they had it repaired again by 8 am.
    It would actually make you proud of them as an organisation when you consider that parts of Britain were off for several days due to the october storm.
    mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement