Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manic Street Preachers

Options
  • 02-12-2002 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Thankyou thankyou thankyou, not just for tonite but for the last 10 years too.
    "stops your heart beating 168 seconds"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

ahhhhhh

what did they play

i decided to not go to the manics and get some more cash in work

i bet the fuickers will split up and i wont b able to see them veer again just because i did that

anyway, give us the gossip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Arthur Peanut

OK i nicked this from foreverdelyed.com but theyre good at this sorta thing.

Motorcycle Emptiness
    You Stole The Sun From My Heart
    The Masses Against The Classes
    There By The Grace Of God
    Kevin Carter
    Found That Soul
    Slash N Burn
    Tsunami
    La Tristesse Durera
    Motown Junk
    Roses In The Hospital
    Faster
    Little Baby Nothing
    From Despair To Where
    Theme from M*A*S*H (Suicide Is Painless)
    Forever Delayed
    The Everlasting
    Everything Must Go
    If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next
    You Love Us
    A Design For Life

Howling gales and torrential rain greeted faithful fans as they descended on the venue for the kick off gig of The Manics Greatest Hits Tour – it didn’t dampen the craic!

The band appeared on stage against the backdrop of a greatest hits video montage. Nicky dressed in a burgundy jacket and leather trousers, James dressed in his by now familiar suit and a red shirt and Sean dressed in black. The band were joined on stage by Nick Naysmith on keyboards and Greg Haver playing percussion.

They launched the gig with Motorcycle Emptiness and reminded the screaming audience that this was merely “pretty heavy foreplay” before moving onto “You Stole the Sun from my Heart”. James continued the sexual theme of the evening by teasing the audience with the opening bars of “PCP” but went on to play “The Masses against the Classes” complete with a beatlesesque harmonising intro. Next came “There by the Grace of God” followed by “Kevin Carter” with yet more audience participation James commanded the audience to click those fingers in a speedy Gonzales style. “Found That Soul” was accompanied by wire-esque scissor kicks.

Nicky dedicates the next song to everyone who saw the band in ’91 – a song about deforestation – “Slash and Burn”. Before moving on to “Tsunami” James encouraged the audience to send him nicotine patches for his Christmas present. They continued with La Tristesse Durera, then Motown Junk accompanied by a video backdrop of the “childhood pictures” from the Holy Bible. During the song Nicky and James indulged in a syncronised jumping frenzy, to the delight of the mosh pit. Before leading into “Roses in the Hospital”, James commented about his awful bleach blond hair in the video. Nicky then said that some critics thought Gold Against the Soul was their masterpiece. During the song Nicky was banging the mike whilst the audience enthustically chanted “Forever Delayed”.

James lit a cigarrettte and said “I’m the son of a council worker, I need a fag break” and Nicky took over the microphone and told the audience how he met a girl the day before in Grafton Street (when he was looking for a chippy) who was a huge fan from Belfast and she asked for a song to be dedicated to Ian. James then took over the microphone to introduce a different version of an old favourite, Faster, with James swapping his Gibson for an acoustic guitar and the song was played at a slightly slower tempo. Next came Little Baby Nothing with the now familiar tribute to Traci Lords, an “excepetional lady who should have been on a Ramones album”.

At this point (earlier than usual) James introduced the band – Nicky “dressed in the colour of kings”, Sean “The Bee-bop king, keeping the family name alive” he then turned to introduce Nick Naysmith and finally the guest percussionist, the producer Greg Haver. Included in the introductions was a dedication to Richey. They then started “From Despair to Where” during which James leapt on the riser leaning over backwards whilst playing the solo. He commented after “I think I put my back out on that one”. James introduced the next song as the Germans favourite but then said “Oops we’re in Dublin” before starting “Suicide is Painless” with an extended middle eight.

James said “Some of you won’t have heard this, hopefully this will be the new single” and the crowd were treated to the new song “Forever Delayed”. Followed in quick succession by “The Everlasting”, “Everything Must Go” and “If You Tolerate This...”. Next came “You Love Us” during which Nicky brandished his mike stand and taunted the crowd with it before throwing it behind him. James moved his mike stand further to the left then introduced a song about ****ing – the finale - “Design for Life” The highlight of this was James mounting the speaker stack and encouraging the crowd to sing the final chorus back at him.

This was a glorious start to the tour, the band are on top form and the audience were wildly appreciative. If this is a taste of things to come we’re in for a great tour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Arthur Peanut

How the hell am i signed in as Arthur Peanut......scary

*cries*
    that setlist was fabulous
    theme from mash?
    i deserve everything i got!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Never been a big fan of Tolerate (live) but it sounded really really good.

I had a really clear view so am hoping the pics turned out well, them lookin so smart an all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 skinnybassist

Yea, they were amazing! I was right up the front too! like less than 5 metres from James woo..... I'm so glad they played a few from GATS period too....
    never expected to hear the likes of roses in the hospital live!
    By the way wasn't Ian Brown hilarious? hehe
    what an entertaining little monkey he was, and not half as bad live as he was at Witnness.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Richie

Am I the only one who was terribly disappointed by the Manics on Sunday? They seemed like they were just going through the motions – I really wasn’t impressed at all. I’ve seen them quite a few times now, and Sunday’s gig was by far the worst. And what was the craic with playing Faster acoustically, eh? Booooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey skinnyb, guess you were near me, i was just behind to the right of the guy who looked very spookily like richey with sailors hat on. Could it be...only joking.

I think some people are used to them being 21 and pirhouettin all over the shop, think Nicky was a bit shopped out from Grafton St, maybe takin lessons of Sean.
    First gig of the tour and from what I can gather the european audiences have been a bit lame, NIcky sayin summat like "enjoy yourselves a bit more, it may be the last time you see us" in Brussels gig other week.
    Faster was tried out by James on his own in Glasgow (i was there..yay) and other songs in aweird acoustic stylee, think he is just tryin to perfect it acoustically.
    Wasnt the best gig but can think of worse things to do on a sunday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

The gig was indeed a great one, although i've seen do better <olympia 1996 AMAZING>.....
    I was two rows from the front in front of the wire, great to hear slash and burn and roses in the hospital, the new track Forever Delayed was pretty sweet aswell, my biggest dissapointment was no stay beautiful or any wire-isms but hey wot u gonna do..

New albums gonna have a song about dublin on it along with 10 other European cities that they play to on the tour, album is meant to sound like nebraska by springsteen <one of my favourites of all time> really stripped down, cold and acoustic, cant wait :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

they played one ****ing song from the holy bible..........a poxy david kitt-esqe verseion of Faster..........................and what do they go and do the next night in Birmingham??? PCP AND REVOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im going to vomit

AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE DIDNT BOTHER HIS ARSE TO WEAR A DRESS FOR US!!!

http://forum.foreverdelayed.com/viewtopic.php?t=5294

• Advertisement

Which version of Holy Bible dyou have , i counted three

the one with sean moore on the cover

ah....that was class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Fat

Old

Cashing-in

on

you.

Sorry , but please back up your monotone.

Fat - ok Sean but hes always been, James is trimmer than hes been in yonks, Nicky....yeah right

Old - they have been around for years, longer than most of ur sh1te "next/current big things" will ever be, and even they cant stop that tsunami.

Cashing In - Sean recently sold his first drum kit for charity, would you sell yours. Also if ur boss told you to do something like, release a greatest hits compo lets say, that ppl have asked for for a couple of years, because they wanted it, wouldnt you. Ok it wasnt to everyones tast but hey, those ppl (myself included) have already got their greatest hits and I dont mean 20 songs, check the charts over the last 10 years homie.

Stay Beatiful...if you want it

OH I WILL!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Muppet Monarchy

Yeah, it'd be much easier to give my drumkit to charity if I was already a multi-millionaire though, wouldn't it?

Don't you think it's sad, considering what they used to stand for, that they would release a greatest hits (which is for money, and only for money, even if the rec. company get most of it)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭freakofnature

ok,ok how many tiaras and boas were their?

urgh! if only i bothered to buy tix and found someone to go with!!!!!!!!!!!

Not many Tiaras, a few boa's tho.

Advertisement