Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worried...

Options
  • 02-12-2002 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

i should never have started posting on this board, i ahve way too many animal problems, but here goes!!!!

im a bit worried about one of our dogs, shes a year old and has just come inot season for the first time. shes appraoching the end of her 2nd week in heat, and yesterday, she started bleeding HUGE amounts everywhere, somehting that looked the equivalent to a cupful of blood

my parents are away at the moment, so im trying to fix the situation without getting them involved (i didnt succeed)-i rang the vet yesterday, and she said it was because the dog was appraoching the end of her season, but today the dog didnt really get out of bed and there was another huge puddle of blood...

so the emergency vet was called, and she said it was probably a womb infection, and that we'd sort it out tomorrow, and that the reason there was so much blood was because it was actually urine mixed with blood....

now im staying awake coz im terrified something will happen to her! the vet'll be here at 8.30 i think....somebody reassure me please!!!!!has this every happened to anyone here?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im sorry to hear about your dog.What can I say but you have the right person ie the vet on the job now.If anyone can help Im sure they can.If it is a womb infection its usually treated with a hyesterectomy.
    Hope everything works out
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

this day has been so bloody long!

well, i'm in the midst opf a bit of a nightmare, i could nearly start posting this in PI!!!!

i did indeed stay up all night to keep an eye on the dog-she seemed in great spirits this morning, but i decided to have the vet call down just to be sure.the vet rang me back and asked me to bring the dog up to hers, and provided me with the number of a taxi firm that tranported dogs...i rang around and around and every one of them kept telling me that there wasnt a cab for an hour and that they didnt take dogs bu i eventually got one up there

i left her in the vets, accompanied by a sample of dark brown vomit id found in the garden that morning. then i went home, and had to go to the doctor coz id been getting sick recently too and discovered i had a repiratoy infection. then the vet rang back to say that they were pretty sure it was a womb infection and that they would probably have to do a hysterectomy, and i had to call my mum in america to ask her was this ok.

this is a really awful piece of news for us, because last time my parents went away, our oldest dog, the granny of the 3, was pregnant with pups and had to have a hysterectomy, and all the pups were too young too survive.. the mother dog, when she gave birth to maizee( the dog in question) also had complications and had to have a hysterectomy. and we breed dogs, so the fact that we wont be able to do that anymore is a bit of a blow, and i couldnt believe that i ahd to ring my mum up again while she was away on holiday and ruin it for her when the dame thing happened last time.

of course, the dogs health is all thats important, she a family dog first before she there for breeding (thats sounds so coldhearted, i dont mean it to) so we want whats best for her. she'll probably be having the op tomorrow morning...im so nervous about it, but hopefully, evetyhign will be ok.

only thing now is im worried about one of the other dogs!!!!!the skin around her eyes is very swollen and enflamed, but ill talk about it with the vet tomorrow!!!!thanks for letting me moan about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

She'll be absolutely fine. My dog is 8 and when she was about 3 or so she began to swell as if she was pregnant. We knew she couldn't be because she doesn't exactly go rambling of her own accord. The vet diagnosed a 'phantom pregnancy' (his words)and said that she'd have to have a hysterectomy or she'd be really ill the next time she was in heat. So she did and she's flying! years on and no side affects. She was a bit uncomfortable for a while after and still doesn't sit straight (she sits with her back legs sticking out so it's hind leg, front leg, hind leg, front leg. terribly funny looking) but health-wise she was fine after it. She still does have a slight mothering instinct though and it manifests itself in herself taking slippers and guarding them by sleeping with her head on them or sleeping with them in her mouth. We've also given her cuddly toys which are dogs and she just wouldn't be without them. Maybe she thinks they're like her puppies...

Granted, we never had any intentions to breed and so it wasn't as much of a blow to us.
    Sorry to hear about your saga, drowner. Hope it's all ok. It will be.

thanks very much, its been such a stressful week, its just everyone was so worried somehting'd happen to the animals, coz we didnt have the means to do anything instantly if somehting did go wrong coz my parents were away! and we really didnt expect we'd be so unlucky as to have it happen again when my parents went away!!!!!!

but everythings fine now (well....im still sick, but hey ;) as long as my animals are fine :)) the dog had the op today, and she's fine, according to the vet. my parents are coming home early (they'll be happier this way) and they'll pick her up when they get home, and im gonna go up and visit her tomorrow. its a bit of a blow knowing we wont be able to breed anymore, but thats not the most important thing. thanks for all the reassurement!!!!

just thought i'd give an update, the youngest dog is fine (the one who had the hysterectomy)

i took the middle dog up to the vet and shes got an ulcer on one eye, and ingrown hairs on the other....poor thing, but its all treatable.

my parents are back today so the responsibility shall be handed back over thank goodness!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Glad to hear that it's all sorted. :)

Advertisement