Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you can't take knickers off a bare arse

Options
  • 02-12-2002 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Communication from The Golden Maverick:

This week was a bit of a marathon session. I was early for the first time in months and then Mr Munroe failed to show until 4 o’clock. Boy was I glad to see him and also the gifts that he bore. I think there was Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh, Coffee and some kind of Danish twist. Anyhow here is my news. Yesterday was Sunday, it was raining, I played some records and here are their names:

1 Start – The Jam
    – Always a good one to start with (excuse the pun), I love these chaps and I was lucky enough to inherit this tune from my older brother. My brother used to wear those horrible ‘badger’ shoes with houndstooth trousers and a parka, if the truth be known he looked like a sap but at least he had good taste in music

2 Rumble in the Jungle – The Fugees
    – I only like this tune for the hook that goes ‘send me an angel, in the morning etc.’ and for the bass line that was nicked from an old Abba tune ‘Name of the Game’.

3 For Pete’s sake – Pete Rock & CL Smooth
    – I only got this album the other week but I’m very impressed with it already. It’s from back in 1992, I think, and it’s a nice easygoing affair. There are great lyrics and some great tunes and it only cost €10. Sure you couldn’t beat that with a big stick.

4 Rub a Dub – Double Trouble
    – This group is better known for its’ work with Rebel MC which included ‘Street Tuff’. This tune was released in 1992 and it’s a bit of a cheesey affair but it still beats the pants off most of the stuff in the charts these days. Ah yeah, in my day it wasn’t like that……….blah blah….etc.

5 King of the Beats – Mantronix
    – This extremely famous tune from a number of years ago is simply a collection of various beats patched together and released on vinyl. It sounds like a simple idea but by jaysus it works. What foresight and vision on the part of Mantronix.

6 25 o’clock – Rí Rá
    – This is a new tune from former Scary Eire emcee Rí Rá. He has a new album coming out very soon and he’s been keeping himself very busy working with the likes of Adrian Sherwood. This tune has his very distinctive rapping style and an absolutely lovely backing track.
    7 On the Dole Q – Scary Éire – Irish rap at its finest.

8 My love I bring – Skip Mc Donald & Sinéad O Connor
    – When Sinead isn’t off doing her priestly duties she likes to work with reggae artists such as Skip Mc Donald. This is a fusion of dub with what can best be described as Celtic, atmospheric sounds and Sinead does a bit of singing about Jah. Just the job if you’ve missed mass.

9 Roots Vibe – The Lovejoys
    – Reggae greats The Lovejoys are having their back catalogue released on the Wackies label and I hope it keeps coming. They have a very distinctive sound that features two female lead singers and a bloke who has a very high pitched voice.

10 This morning – Desmond Williams – Desmond is another reggae artist who is making a comeback. He has a new album out at the moment and this tune features on it.

11 As – Stevie Wonder
    – George Michael and someone else did a cover of this a year or two ago, but it’s not a patch on this version. Stevie lets rip towards the end with his gruff voice, stern stuff not for the fainthearted.

12 Love Rain – Jill Scott
    – This is on the ‘Who is’ album and it’s great. She released a live album since but I haven’t heard what she’s at these days. No doubt she’s in the studio laying down some tracks.

13 I’ve been loving you too long – Otis Redding
    – When I hear this tune it makes the hair stand up on the back of my arse, sorry, neck. Pure emotive beauty from one of the greats.

14 Dead Already – Thomas Newmann
    – Taken from the ‘American Beauty’ soundtrack, this tune is the perfect filler when you’re not sure what to play next.

15 The Light 3000 – Schneider TM – Cover of the famous Smiths tune but with an electronic twist.

16 Belfast – Orbital
    – This reminds me of the Féile that was held in Cork all those years ago. I remember these lads playing this tune and it got the whole place up and moving again.

17 Dear Prudence – The Beatles
    – This is another classic from the famous White album and is a tune that has been covered countless times but like a Jacobs Cream Cracker, compared to the rest, the original is still the best.

18 Over the Rainbow – Judy Garland
    – Hey, if happy little bluebirds fly, above the rainbow, why can’t I? Well, why can’t I?

19 Fools Gold – The Stone Roses
    – Every time I hear this tune my mind goes back to places like McGonagles on Sth Anne St. I cringe every time I think of those flared denims that were all the rage, this tune is still brilliant though.

20 You’re getting a little too smart – Detroit Emeralds
    – This is a funky number that appears on one of those breaks compilations. I bet these guys had some pretty slick flared strides.

21 Bass drum and snare – Lightning Head
    – Check the previous three weeks set lists for my thoughts on this one. I’m plating it to death at this stage.

22 The evaporation of…. – Mummy Fortuna’s Theatre Company
    – This is another one that I keep playing. It’s out on Lex Records and it comes with my highest recommendation.

23 When a man’s in love – Yami Bolo
    – This uses the same reggae rhythm as Bam Bam by Sister Nancy. It’s a nice little number that appears on a French reggae compilation called Champion Sound

24 King – UB 40
    – Great cut by the 40 on one of their compilation albums, ‘The Singles Album’.

25 Champion – Buju Banton
    – Released in 1995 this tune has been reworked and remixed on a few occasions. I was only listening to a drum and bass remix in the Thomas House on Friday so I thought I’d play the original on the show.

26 Exodus – Bob Marley
    – This one is for the lads in Tallaght, I’d be lost without yis.

27 ‘19’ – Paul Hardcastle
    – Anti war tune released in the eighties, this is the 12” version. I think that it sounds like Underground Resistance.

28 Windowlicker – Aphex Twin
    – Great tune by Richard James with a great video by Chris Cunningham. If you’re in Dublin check out Chris Cunninghams’ exhibition at The Storehouse.

29 Eloki – Esem
    – This is from a 12” release by Esem from 2001.

30 All is full of love – Bjork (Plaid Remix)
    – I’ve always liked Bjork and I’ve always liked Plaid so I always like listening to this.

31 Love is in the ear – Polar
    – Great electro number from former drum and bass producer. You should check out his Out of the Blue EP for more similar stuff.

32 The revolution will not be televised – Gil Scott Herron
    – Extended highlights will be shown on TV3 later in the week though.

33 What time is love? – The KLF
    – Kick out the jams mother****er. This one goes out to Bill Drummond, one half of the KLF, who was in Dublin during the week.

34 New Flesh – Zero Gravity
    – This is a hip-hop number from London boys Zero Gravity, as far as I’m aware they’re pals with that Roots Manuva guy.

35 Cyberabad – Asian Dub Foundation
    – This is a dub version of a tune that will feature on their upcoming album which is due to be released in early 2003.

36 Polyp (Battlecat Remix) – Ambulance
    – This is a great remix of a Droid and Slug tune that also features on this piece of vinyl. It was released earlier this year on new label The Fear.

37 Schallerova – Andy Votel
    – This is a Stereolab type musical journey that chugs along like a steam engine. It features on Mr Votel’s new album ‘All ten fingers’.

38 Skinz – Pete Rock & CL Smooth
    – Another tune from the 1992 album. Nice, yeah.

39 That’s no good to me – Scary Eire
    – This is the flip to ‘On the Dole Q’ and is even madder than the a-side. Big up the Scary Eire posse.

Sin é briathar Maverick. Thanks for the memories, phonecalls, big ups, put downs and various vibes. I’ll be back next week with more of the same, in fact probably a lot more of the same because I’m too poor to buy records these days. Remember folks, you can’t take knickers off a bare arse. Peace.

The GM

--
    Sundays, Noon - 3:00pm GMT
    www.PowerFM.org
    Streaming live from Dublin City 24/7
    & available local, like on 97.8

Advertisement