Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q top 50 albums of all time

Options
  • 02-12-2002 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Nirvana's Nvermind has been voted the greatest album of all time by readers of Q magaizine.
    Talk about flavour of the month!!! Have these polls any value at all or are our choices so influenced by the media. i.e. just because Nirvana's Best Of is being pushed at the moment is the reason this album has been elevated to #1.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

i think nevermind is definetly a great album, and always rates in the top 5 of ever 'Greatest Album' chart i've seen pretty much since its release

however, it's definatly been helped to the #1 spot by the current spotlight on nirvana, particularly the release of the Greatest Hits album and the Journals.

anways, who really pays any attention to these kinda polls ? use ur own judgement to decide what the best album is, dont rely on what other people voted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

The readership of Q also voted OK Computer as The Best Album EVAR in another poll a few years back.

If you want a more judged opinion, poll the experts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What?
    And what happened to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

Robbie Williams was voted the best male in music ever there this year by VH1 so this can show u the value of these kind of polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Eminem's first album is at No.5 !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The readership of Q also voted OK Computer as The Best Album EVAR in another poll a few years back.

If you want a more judged opinion, poll the experts.

They got it right that time mwheheee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Who does Dustaz think are experts and what makes them experts over anybody else?

Well, musicians for one. People involved with music. Not people who say "thats a good tune", but people who can tell you WHY its a good tune. People who understand the mechanisms, history and reproduction of music. For a start, peoiple who dont think that nevermind was the best album ever released :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Can't see how Hendrix,Dylan,Zeppelin or the clash are not in the poll.just another English magazine going with whats cool now.Nirvana would not have got no.1 this time last year.
    Whats worse is that The Vines are at no.70,I mean of all time! think of all the good albums there are. Hendrix and dylan have made much more influential albums.any Pixies album is better than the strokes,and Zeppelin should get at least one in the top 10. Radiohead don't deserve 2 in the top 5 either

Electric ladyland-Hendrix
    Led Zeppelin 1 and 4
    Guns n roses -appetite for destruction
    Clash~london calling
    De La Soul- 3 feet high and rising
    Primal Scream-Screamadelica
    Doolittle-Pixies
    Dylan-Blonde on blonde
    Exile on main st. -rolling stones
    Raw power-the stooges
    The stone roses
    well something like that

Surely no one can have anywhere near a definitive say on what is the best album ever it will always be a matter of personal taste at the time of the poll and that is generally dictated by fashion whether it is the normal joesoap or a so called expert, if any way is better it would be to look at polls over a number of years and pick out the ones that consistantly reach high positions, this may then show which album people continually think is great or influential.

But for people to complain the poll is rubish is ridiculous as what makes your opinion or my opinion any better than anyone elses, and saying things like Dylan or Hendrix or anyother artist made more influential albums then the bands high in the list is obviously not true to the majority of people who voted in this particular poll.

the people who voted in this poll opinions obviously differed to some people on this boards opinion which in no way invalidates the poll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>Have these polls any value at all or are our choices so influenced by the media.

I personally voted on this months back, as it was pushed hard on the Q website http://www.q4music.com .
    So I don't think the media had much of an effect to be honest. They (Q) do it every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    What?
    And what happened to De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas?

and burzum - burzum - classics in their field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

the top ten were :

1.Nevermind - Nirvana
    2.OK Computer - Radiohead
    3.Revolver - The Beatles
    4.The Bends - Radiohead
    5.The Marshall Mathers LP - Eminem
    6.Nevermind The Bollocks - Sex Pistols
    7.Stone Roses - Stone Roses
    8.Definitely Maybe - Oasis
    9.Is This It - The Strokes
    10.Achtung Baby - U2

all i can say is....****

Originally posted by Pep
    But for people to complain the poll is rubish is ridiculous as what makes your opinion or my opinion any better than anyone elses,

If Westlife topped the poll , i guarentee you you would not have been saying this.

Personally, i dont think the q poll is any more or less valid than the smash hits awards.

A couple of years ago there was a few decent surveys conducted looking for the best albums of the last 50 years. In both the ones i saw Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds featured in the top three in both polls. Critically, these were voted on by 'analysts' (cant remember who, seem to remember them being fairly credible tho) and/or music industry bods. While these polls were still opinion, they were obviously taken from people with a far broader knowledge of music judging by the spread of genres/periods as compared to either Smash Hits or Q polls.

Firstly Dustaz I 100% absolutely guarantee you my opinion on this matter would not change if Westlife had topped the poll as the poll is about the MAJORITYS OPINION on what the best album is not what my opinion is.

Secondly whats wrong with a Smash Hits poll it shows the opinions of its readers, just because the majority of that magazines readers are young girls dosent make their opinion matter less.

From what your saying only polls which agree with your opinion are worthwhile polls, so to your previous idea that only people with an in depth knowledge of the songwriting process may judge what is album or not. That idea is rubbish ask the most successfull songwriters ever did they know exactly what they were doing in technical terms (such as when the scales changed, what mode the solos were in etc.) when they were writing their best songs and the vast majority will readily admit they didnt have a clue. In fact the Beatles didnt have any musical training for songwriting and they are considered one of the best groups ever, does this mean they are not fit to judge what is a classic album or not.

Just because polls contain albums spanning a broad section of musical genres doesnt mean the voters opinions are more valid than anyone elses.

As you have decided to dictate whether a poll is worthwhile or not and therefore decide for everyone else what are the best albums ever I'll ask you what makes you one of the experts on musical theory, do you understand the mechanisms of the construction of great songs, and if you do why arent you writing these great songs, or spreading this knowledge to the rest of us??????

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

"Hey, maybe the 'so-called' experts really are experts!"
    - Jack Handy

Meet Bob.

Bob works in a clothes shop. At work, FM104 is played all day. When he goes home, he watches MTV.

Meet John.

John works in a music shop. A variety of different music is played all day. In his spare time, he plays the guitar in a local band.

Meet Pete.

Pete works for a record company. His job is to discover and promote new talent. He spends most of his day listening to demo tapes of new bands. He is also required to have significant knowledge of the current state of music.

You want an opinion on a piece of music - who do you ask? Who do you go to for a second opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You want an opinion on a piece of music - who do you ask? Who do you go to for a second opinion?

You go make up your own opinion. Listening to what anyone else thinks is the major problem here.. especially if they think they know their music inside out.. although that does lead to some great arguments :)

Well NekkidBibleMan does that mean he can tell people what they should think is the best album?

If thats how you judge whats good and whats not then by your reasoning it is possible that there is one person who is the most expierienced in musical matters and therefore can dictate what we all should think the best album is then?

I agree wholeheartedly with Kali ye seem to need other people to have opinions for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

polls like this are crap,there is no way you can ever select the greatest albums of all time unless there was some kind of satisfaction- meter!

the poll only covers pop/rock(basically stuff that has charted in the last 40 or so years).what about all the great jazz , blues, black metal, world music albums etc.

look i could go on arguing forever but it is pointless ,much the same as this poll .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by smackbunnybaby
    polls like this are crap,there is no way you can ever select the greatest albums of all time

Exactly.
    Music is too opinionated to do this. People will never agree on the result. Technically to be able to select the greatest albums of all time you would need to have heard every album ever produced and have no bias at all.

Anyway we all know the greatest album of all time is Blackalicious - Nia. ;)

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Anyway we all know the greatest album of all time is Blackalicious - Nia. ;)

nah that should be "greatest hip-hop album of all time"..
    the soft bulletin and wish you were here are the best albums ever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by Kali
    nah that should be "greatest hip-hop album of all time"..
    the soft bulletin and wish you were here are the best albums ever ;)

No, see, you are all wrong. Innervisions is best album of all time.

No, see, you are all wrong. Innervisions is best album of all time.

pah.. funkiest album maybe but best? no way!

*flicks light switch on and off*

fight! fight! fight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Well if some people are too lazy to vote for it, or aren't even Q readers, then I don't think its fair to criticise. You are looking too far into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Actually, i dont know anyone who ever voted in a magazine or TV poll.......its much more fun to sit back and go "bloody hell, what a loada eejits the general public are" as Robbie Williams picks up another greatest mammal of all history award....

Advertisement