Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zip drive problem

• 02-12-2002 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭

I have just had four zip discs ruined.
    Three of them came free with the drive but I bought the other one brand new.
    The discs worked fine the first few times I put them in but I got the message "Please insert a disk" after that.
    I think it's the zip drive, (an Iomega USB 100 MB ) and have rang Iomega tech support about it.
    They're going to send me a new one along with four new discs but I'm worried that it might be my PC and not the drive as I recently installed a new m'board and it was working fine on the one I had before that.
    I have got to send back the drive I have now when I get the new one so it's going to look like I pulled a fast one on them if they find nothing wrong with it.
    Has anyone ever heard of a m'board damaging a zip drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by lukin

Has anyone ever heard of a m'board damaging a zip drive?

No! What sort of zip drive is it? IDE\Atapi? Or something else? Was it emitting a clicking noise when you inserted a disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

It's a USB, IOMEGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Well no, the motherboard wouldn't cause any damage to a zip drive. They won't even check to see if you pulled a "fast one" they'll just repair it and send it out as a replacement for someone else. I'm sure quite alot the drives they receive in are considered "No faults", but they don't go chasing people afterwards.

Was the drive making weird clicking sounds? Either way I wouldn't worry about it, you're getting your replacement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭lukin

I hope you're right, I'm just naturally distrustful of most PC parts suppliers due to bitter experience.
    I'm quite lucky actually, as I only bought the drive last January so the 12 month warranty is almost up.
    I'm still a bit peed off that something as new as that could last for such a short time. It wasn't even roughed around or anything, it's been in the same place since I bought it and I didn't even use it a great deal until quite recently.
    They asked me to send back the one I have now when I get the new one.
    It seems quite extraordinary that they would send out a new one BEFORE getting the faulty one first to check it out.
    They don't even have any way of knowing for sure that the drive is mine either, as I didn't register it with them when I bought it (wasn't asked to on the documentation that came with it)
    All I was asked for over the 'phone was a serial number, which I could easily have taken from anyone else's drive.
    I can only presume that if they don't get the original drive back they threaten you with "legal action" and all that.
    Weird though....
    Was the drive making weird clicking sounds?
    Yeah, when I put in the disk again after it was damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by lukin
    Yeah, when I put in the disk again after it was damaged.

Do a bit of googling for "Click Death" and you might find some answers.

Or click on this link :

http://grc.com/tip/codfaq1.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i had two zip drives a few years ago that had that "click death" thing. it actually drove me nuts during my thesis.. sitting there waiting for that click click click to start after i put in the disk.

i rang iomega and they shipped out new drives to me, all i had to do was put the phone up to the drive so they could hear the clicking noise.

havent used them since i got a cd burner.

dw

Advertisement