Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Task bar Vanishes in windows 2000

• 02-12-2002 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hey all, got a little misteroy here in work. On two computers one a IBM Thinkpad T23 and the other a IBM P4 Netfinity. The Task bar vanishes at random times. Now you can get it back by loging off and on again or locking the work station. Both Where on SP2. I up graded the ThinkPad to SP3 just to see if that helps. The thinkPad was using Dx7 and I am thinking of upgrading the Gfx drivers (S3) Just wondering has anyone ever seen this? If so what was the fix for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

strange, unless you have auto hide selected in taskbar properties and it's not doing it's job properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Sorry should have said that. Auto hide isn't on in both systems. What hapens is. If you look at the desktop, there is no task bar. If you press the win key or crtl+esc the start menu apears where it would if the task bar was there. If you right click with the mouse on where the taskbar should be, nothing happens you get no menus. (this is whats got us stumped) I think it may be a Gfx's issue so I'm gona try update the drivers on the Laptop to give it a try. Anyone know if SP3 up dates the Dx version as well? I didn't have time to look after I dont the update. If it does, what version does it put on?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

sp3 doesnt touch directx
    another layer altogether..

suggest replacing explorer.exe from ERC
    with another win2k sp3 build of it..

explorer.exe is composed of :
    local language,taskbar,star menu,desktop

and alot more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

yea sounds like explorer is buggered ? Never seen it before although.

Is there any errors in the event viewer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I'll give that a try, I have a explore I could use from my own laptop. We (me and a other sys engineer) took a look in the event viewer. couldn't find a thing. this is what has us stumped. it doesn't see anything being wrong with the system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement