Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

You are a Nobhead if...

Options
  • 02-12-2002 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

...you have a massive sticker on your rear window indicating the make of car that you're driving (yes, we know it's a NISSAN - we can see the word "Micra" just below the rear window),
    your car has a big-fúck-off spoiler for absolutely no reason whatsoever,
    you own a sub-woofer loud enough to ensure everyone within a 5 mile radius can hear your favourite brand of skanger-hard-house,
    you insist on driving at least 50mph through all 30mph zones,
    you think doing 100mph down the M7 is makes you a "great driver",
    you've installed fake plastic bodywork, front and back, in a vain attempt to persuade people that you'd buy a Jaguar if only you could afford it,
    you read Max Power magazine,
    you own any kind of No Fear merchandise.

Boyracer = scumbag.

I just HAD to post it here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

.....and here we go again :rolleyes:

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe Reefbreak had a bad moment with said boyracer. I agree on all counts.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Originally posted by ReefBreak

Boyracer = scumbag.

I just HAD to post it here.

Gee thanx for the info man...maybe you could back your claim up with something better than you "HAD to post it here" insulting scumbags like that calling them boyracers....now go and finish that crossword bellend

Farlz

Is it me or are most boy-racers short of stature?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I'm young and love driving. I have/will be doing my car up with a bit of modding. That does'nt mean I'm a scumbag. I like motorsport and go racing every couple of weeks. My car is for my enjoyment.
    I do however agree with you on plenty of your points, I hate BIG spoilers and loud speakers blairing at the traffic lights. I hate badly modded cars.

boyracer = scumbag .. bóllox

I've noticed this attitude from some of the older generation, is it because they are jealous that they did not have a car in their youth?

hmm, well the one's in the micra's. Yes :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by mike65

Mike.

:D

I wouldnt call boyracers scumbags though. Well at least not all of them.
    Then again if someone is into their cars and mod it, they are not automatically boy racers.

Anyway, I agree with most of your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You'r a bit harsh there Reefbreak..

To my mind most of the boy racers I find fairly laughable. Most seem to drive tarted up civics, colts, mirages etc, badly modded which they are paying a fortune for. I'm not jealous I just ask why bother?

But any one doing 50mph in a residential zone IS a scumbag - boyracer or non.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

" insulting scumbags like that calling them boyracers....now go and finish that crossword bellend

so you're sticking up for scumbags? glad someones on their side..
    Originally posted by ReefBreak...you have a massive sticker on your rear window indicating the make of car that you're driving (yes, we know it's a NISSAN - we can see the word "Micra" just below the rear window)

those window stickers are great though, the amount of times you see GTI on a micra, or TYPE-R on a bog-standard Civic is ridiculous... and I actually seen one of those god-awful import Toyota Starlet GTIs with a Sporting logo stuck on the back, surely thats just taking the piss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

theres a 4 door 1991 opel corsa saloon i pass every day ... it has a 'Turbo' badge stuck on the boot, also a newish micra ..... with 2 air intakes on the bonnet, and a diesel renault 9 vanette with blue ultra violet lights underneath it.

these do not annoy me, they make me laugh my bollox off :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm thinking of getting

CAR

as a sticker! :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

ReefBreaker and mike65 I`d say there is a godawful smell of sh*t from you head cause it must have been stock up your ass*es for ages cause we already dicussed this on the thread "I had modders".

Now to clarify the point.Just cause we like cars and don't want to fall in to the run off the mill stanard car group of people we are classed as scumbags.Now I would like to tell you that I`m not a scumbag.If you like computers does that make you a nerd?The chances are that most decent modified cars on the road are looked after than many family cars.

Lastly I`d just like to say pull you heads out of your as*es. Modifiers are doing no harm to you so just get on with it and mind you own business

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I reeeeealy should lock this...

But I think the ignorence of the members of both sides of the argument to the opinions stressed by the others is balancing this into a pretty decent debate!

OK I have a modded car and I would not call myself in any way shape or form a scumbag.

Not all people who mod their car's are boyracers/scumbags and I know plenty of examples to back this up. One case in mind is a lad in his 30's with a moddified BMW 530 the thing is a class looking car and in no way shape or form is this guy a boyracer or a scumbag.

Yes you have people out there who moddify their cars and do a really crap job at it and their are those that do it well. Now just because someone does a good or bad job of modding their car it does not make them scumbags or boyracers.

Now if they are driving around like mad men i.e. out of control, way too fast, way too aggressively, racing other cars etc. etc. ya I would most likely say they are boyracers. But you dont have to modify your car to drive like that ffs. They could sit in a car fresh from the factory and still drive like that.

IMHO the whole point of modifing your car is about looks (bodykits, alloys), preformance (engine mods such as ECU reprogramming, full exhaust systems etc) and handling (suspension, brakes).

Now I have a 1L car and I know for a fact in modifing my car I have slowed the car down due to the extra weight and the alloys. But at the same time I have improved the handling of the car via a proper suspension set-up, improved my braking via better pads/brake fluid/braided brake lines and it looks different to other Ibiza's due to alloys/bodykit. So for actually making my car safer at the same time as making it look different you would call me a scumbag? Why? Whats your reason to call everyone with a modified car a scumbag? Yes their car some scumbags out there with modified cars but please dont paint everyone with the same brush.......

kayos

Originally posted by kayos

Now I have a 1L car and I know for a fact in modifing my car I have slowed the car down due to the extra weight and the alloys.

kayos

I thought alloys were lighter than steels...?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Indeed

Perhaps they're an amalgam of Lead, Gold and Platinum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Yeah, I thought that was the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I think he meant bigger wheels, as in goin from 15" alloyys to say 17" alloys...........size matters!!

I'm gonna mod my car, just to make it look different, i drive to the speed limits, drive to the rules of the road, i'm not agressive or anything on the road.

am i a scumbag?

well thats for everyone else to decide, call me a scumbag if ya want i dont really care, i'm not gonna stick a mad sub woofer in my car to annoy everyone, i dont listen to s**t dance music (sorry that should be just called noise).

yes max power is a muppet of a magazine, an excuse to have semi naked women plastered all over the place, but i dont read it!!, your painting everyone with the same brush and thats fine if you want to stereotype, but just remeber not everyones the same.

*pointless, unheard speech ends*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

LOL @ overreactions.

He didn't say everyone who mods their car is a knobhead. Only the examples described in his post (which I agree with).

Mike.

True yes but when my car came with 13" wheels moving up to 16" takes a whole lot of power out of the car when starting off. Any way......

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

ReefBreak I agree with most of your points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

I would just like to point out that modifing is relatively new to Ireland and England but take for example America.Especially the southern States.Modifing and streetracing has been there from the early 50s.People over there are ok with people with modded cars.While I lived there I hung around with Both men and women young and old.One guy was at least 60 and had a 400hp Mustang.Husbands and wives racing each other at the track.If people would just leave us alone there wouldn`t be any problems.I agree is someone is acting like a lunatic don`t bit*h at other modders just report the little **** but don`t say just cause you have a modded car you must be like that lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

here we go again
    (agree with Kayos and Bo duke - again ! )

Reefbreak - nice name btw , Why are you getting so angry ? i know what u mean about cars, with the words Civic plastered over the back window etc - but think for one minute - how funny that looks ! Everyone to their own.

What I class as a boyracer/girlracer - is a young male or female driver, who is driving a car (any car) - who for some unknown reason tailgates you for a few miles, revs alongside you at lights looking "hard" , trys to "race" you etc.

I'm a car modifier and proud of it - i love spending weekends working on the car, and like Kayos said, improving it visually, and performance wise, its a hobby and one ive made alot of good friends from.

Originally posted by kayos
    but when my car came with 13" wheels moving up to 16" takes a whole lot of power out of the car when starting off.

really? I did'nt think it would make any difference

*edit double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

KnackerKit is for knackers

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Typical boy-racer type has a big loud exhaust, which is not suitable for the engine size, go faster stickers, obligitory baseball hat, oh and fake rear discs and stick-on fuel filler's :rolleyes: and may know little or nothing about how the car works... as long as the ICE can drown out the sound of the tappets :rolleyes: they are happy...

I see things like this, car modifiers as different, they are interested in enhancing or personalising their own car. Subtle modding is the best IMO, but everyone to their own. They are generally into the mechanical workings of their cars and try to improve\personalise on the product which the manufacturer pushed out the factory.

I've modified every car i've owned over the years and never considered myself a 'boy-racer'.

A nice set of alloys\tyres and a subtle bit of body styling can make a €10K car look like a €20+ car to the casual observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I'm going to quote Quenton Wilson on this : "No matter how much you dress up a turd it's still a turd".
    Agree?
    Knobhead= somebody who believes that throwing heaps of money at a crap car to make look "better" or sound "louder" will by the same reasoning make it go "faster".
    Total oppisite in fact you bunch of halfwits;
    Bigger alloys= severe reduction in torque transferral ie slower
    Excess bodywork+big wing= huge increase in drag ie slower
    Huge ice install= more weight ie you guessed it, slower!

I have nothing against modifing cars provided they are half decent to start with. Did any of these people ever consider saving the 1000s they were thinking of wasting and buying significantly better car? The money they'd save would probably cover their insurance too.

Having a bad day at work and just had to reply:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Don1

Knobhead= somebody who believes that throwing heaps of money at a crap car to make look "better" or sound "louder" will by the same reasoning make it go "faster".

Total oppisite in fact you bunch of halfwits;

Total oppisite?, halfwits, thanks buddy, and by your reasoning, anyone that doesn't modify their car isn't a halfwit... there's halfwits on both sides.

Bigger alloys= severe reduction in torque transferral ie slower
    Overall weight of a decent alloy and low profile tyre is less than the equivalent steel wheel and tyre.When we replace a steel wheel we try to match the original height of the wheel so not to change the gear ratios, speedo etc. Lower profile tyres have less rubber/steel?/nylon in the tyres (smaller side wall), and alloy's(decent ones) are lighter than steel wheels.. (also better heat dispersal from alloys over steel)
    So where's the torque lost??? the wheels are lighter, am i missing something?

Excess bodywork+big wing= huge increase in drag ie slower
    Huge increase? at what speed? It's fact that spoiler creates little downforce/drag at speeds of less that 100mph, How is this going to increase drag? Body kits aren't going to produce much drag at speeds under 60mph anyway..

Huge ice install= more weight ie you guessed it, slower!
    The ice install is for music enjoyment, not as part of a weight loss program, 1 person is going to weigh more than the entire system anyway.
    What's a few amplifiers and speakers going to weigh? 30kgs?.... on a car that already weighs 900 kg to 1,500 kgs.

I have nothing against modifing cars
    Doesn't sound like that.

Did any of these people ever consider saving the 1000s they were thinking of wasting and buying significantly better car?

We could all save even more money if we cycled/took the bus to work... :rolleyes:

Feel better now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

It's fact that spoiler creates little or no downforce/drag at speeds of less that 100mph, How is this going to increase drag? Body kits aren't going to produce much drag at speeds under 60mph anyway..
    So why do they put spoilers on a car if it has no effect? Actually, I suppose it does have an effect: it makes the driver look like a "nobhead".

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ReefBreak
    So why do they put spoilers on a car if it has no effect? Actually, I suppose it does have an effect: it makes the driver look like a "nobhead".

Little effect, you'd need something like an F1 spoiler to create downforce at slow speeds...

Advertisement