Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

You are a Nobhead if...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Dont know about scumbags and **** and nobheads. I genuinely laugh my ass off at muppets in Micra's, Corsa's, Starlet GTI's?, that second hand broadly fit into the €5/6k price mark. I always to think "Why shell out another 4-5k on trying to make something thats crap look/perform better, when everyone knows it's crap and you could of had yourself a decent car in the first place"?

The Volswagon Golf ad says it best with the pictures of the modded Golf's and then the last one thats crying in the rain because it's muppet owner messed with it. Why tamper with perfection or something I think it goes. Manufacturer mods are always 300% more attractive than home mades. Also, I think anyone with lil blue spots under the windscreen or on the base of the car should be done by the cops. At the end of the day, they are a distraction. The only lights that should be on a car (by law methinks) are the ones it came with.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

What i noticed was a few ppl who have blue flouricent tubes under the car, or those blue windscreen washers (stupid) , havn't seen any pulled over by the gardai, but i know that blue lights on any vehicle besides gardai/emergency vehicles is completely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by DivX
    but i know that blue lights on any vehicle besides gardai/emergency vehicles is completely illegal.

but them light washer's are being sold in stores in blanchardstown and dublin? are you sure their illegal?

IMO they do look a bit wofel :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Quite often you'll see a little sticker saying "not for street use" on the back of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ahh yes Boy Racers, scum of the earth, its one thing driving like an idiot on a private track another is doing it on public roads where you are endangering the lives of those all around you.

I must say the funniest body kit ive ever seen on a car was on a Fiat Cinquecento, yes a full body kit, I spent the whole 2 mins at the traffic lights pointing and laughing at that gobsh!te.

And Perhaps there are those who are not boy racers and like to do up their cars, but I have never met or seen one.

• Advertisement

That's a little harsh, isn't it? Do you know many "boy racers"? I'm not one by the way, though I am thinking of replacing the stereo in my car. Would that be considered "doing it up"? :p Washed my car last week, car looked a lot better. Come to think of it, it did make me want to drive at inane speeds! ;):D (Did at least 60 drying off the excess water)

You know yourself if you are a boy racer and you have a "need for Speed".

In doing a car up I mean putting on an exhaust pipe the size of a chimney, spoilers, bonnet vents etc.

It may be harsh but it is my opinion, and i have a right to it because i was severly injured in a crash by a boy racer trying to show off to a hitch hiker "LOOK HOW FAST I CAN GO IAM TEH MEGA COEL" and bang as a result I came out with a fractured Lumbart Vertebrae.

You're entitled to you opinions all right, but it wasn't the exhausts fault, it was the muppet behind the wheel. You get fools behind the wheel of every type of car. If that person had borrowed his mom's volvo and hit you, it'd be the same outcome...

Yeah Legbreaker you are right in what you say, btw it was his mothers car :).

But in my experience I have not come across (personally on the road) someone who has these mods and drives intelligently, I am sure there are people out there who drive safely and like adding mods to their cars.

I think the majority of people who do it, are boy racers tho and unfortunately if you have these mods on your car 9 times out of ten you are going to be painted with a brush of that of a boy racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

thats like saying 9 out of 10 women are bad drivers ... which I agree with anyway !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's fairly easy to spot those who are serious about modding cars (just like it's easy to spot a 'real' biker - no full face helmet, big white beard :p), but the fact of the matter is that 9 times out of ten, they're just scumbags trying to make their cars look 'good'.

Take a guy I know. Nice guy, but as fate would have it, he grew up in the depths of poverty, and is a bit of a scumbag, but doing well for himself. He bought a 92 Fiesta. Tore out the seats and replaced them with racing seats (seat belts and all - I don't think it's legal). Full body kit, 'tinted windows' (ie a tinted covering on normal windows), and a big stereo. His six mates have done the same with similarly ghey cars.
    I also had to talk him out of buying a 95 Punto for €6000. No-one would insure him on it, and I had just sold a 97 punto for €3000 so I was very confused. Turns out the stereo was worth €3,000 and the car was a modded heap of **** with 110,000 miles on the clock. He couldn't get theft or fire insurance on it :rolleyes:.

The fact of the matter is, regardless of how much you argue that your mod is serious, and you're not a boy racer, the actual boy racers form the majority of people who mod their cars. Hence the hating. Get over it.

Bikers have to put up with the same abuses. Most car drivers rate motorcyclists as dangerous and irresponsible, but the people who appear dangerous and irresponsible are couriers and mopeds, yet we all get branded with the 'psycho' tag (that doesn't mean I'm not a psycho....:D). If you enjoy modding your car, get on with and screw the doubters. Do what you enjoy. (Uh-oh, getting too humanities for Motors :p)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Personally I think it's funny... which is the only reason I'd consider modding... I appreciate the irony of it, while most people would just call them a sad coont... which, let's face it - a lot of them are.
    Mmmm, viper stripe on a micra... makes me laugh just thinking about it.
    Anyone seen the new vid from Ali-G (in da house)... the start when they show his tiny car modded to high hell is just gas.
    I'm seriously thinking of getting an old banger and adding a spoiler + viper stripe + alloys + tinted windows + massive subwoofer... just to laugh at the disgusted looks I'd get driving it :D

Each to their own though IMO... if you think your car looks wicked, then hats off to ye'

PS. are custom reg numbers not available here no?
    So many nerdy possibilities... "2l33t4u" "uf4g0t" etc
    *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭halkar

Personally I don't mind the modding. When I was young and fresh :rolleyes: I always dreamed of having a car and putting few stickers here and there and have a nice music system setup in it with some moddings :D But sadly that never happened as i didn't have a car. And now me old and wiser :D I don't care about modding . All I have in the car is the Shaun the Sheep that watches my back ;)

Some of those moddings are very nice to look at and nicely done and some are pure sh!te . Weeeell, for them it is all about being :cool: to their friends so let them be but I just hate it when I see them with a baseball cap turned back to front :D .
    We were all young one day and we all did stupid things to be :cool: so this is how it is done now I guess. remember the times you were able to go and buy a Knight Rider red light for the front of the car? :D I don't see them around anymore but I see those blue lights that turns the cars to pimp cars!! :D

The one car i would consider modding would be a Beetle, you can get away with not looking like a boy racer :)

But I hear the upkeep of these cars is very very difficult and time consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    PS. are custom reg numbers not available here no?
    So many nerdy possibilities... "2l33t4u" "uf4g0t" etc
    *drools*

Heh, I saw a big sticker yesterday on the back of a car;

"Powered by FreeBSD" with the devil and all. r0x0r :D

Advertisement