Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL, Stormy Weather and the UK 4

• 02-12-2002 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Last night NTL in Waterford were at sixes and sevens as the picture and sounds on the "UK4" were rendered unwatchable by...an earthquake? Nope the blowy weather. Between 7 and 8.30 it was particuarly bad until someone finally decided to use the Wales feed which while a bit snowy was stable.
    The Norn Iron feed was presumably being smashed about the place by the gales further north.

This promted a thought, as the satellite channels were unaffected why cant NTL source BBC ITV and C4 via Sky, rather than use a terestrial link.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Is it just the weather, Mike?

I noticed last night I was getting cut outs in sound as well as 50 times more pixellation and freezes than usual on NTL's Go Digital. RTE etc were also effected.

An absolute disaster.

Whatever about NTL using Sky's feed, I think I'll be going there in the Summer - as soon as my Premiership + ticket expires - that, or if Leeds are relegated first... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

If you did have a sat feed on the UK 4 then you wouldn't have any teletext... ceefax no longer broadcasts on Digital TV in the UK, and Teletext UK dont have a licence to broadcast via satellite!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Not so much as they don't have a licence - they do provide the Holidays service after all - as they don't have to...

As mentioned upteen times, Teletext Limited is a seperate company to the ITV network which has the rights only on analogue terrestrial (and consequently any platform sourced thereof) to broadcast on the ITV network frequencies.

Anyway... back on topic - didn't experience any problems on NTL Digital in Dublin last night.

I would be guessing that the problems in waterford were caused by the storms knocing about a few mmds aerials alright.
    At least they had the back up option of going to analog aerial wales.Good old NTL at least they have enough engineers and care about their customers reception(slightly anyhow...)
    Chorus(the company I love:D ) would have left you high and dry, probably:rolleyes:
    mm

Advertisement