Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a C2?

Options
  • 02-12-2002 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

I've seen this in adverts from contruction companies and am curiours as to what actually does C2 registered mean. Any ideas?

Comments

Afaik, it's a revenue cert, you have when you are a self employed contractor, ie you can be working for a company, but they are not paying your paye/PRSI-you look after your own taxes.

Something like that anyhow.
    mm
    aha! *edit time*:D I knew I had a sort of idea what a C2 was but to be more exact:
    A C2 is a certificate issued by the tax office to a sub-contractor. A C2 allows a principal contractor to apply to the tax office for a relevant payments card (RCT47) for you.
    and:
    If you do not have a C2, the principal contractor will not be able to obtain a relevant payments card for you.
    And finally:
    Where tax is deducted by a principal contractor it is only a payment on account. The tax deducted may be more than you are due to pay or it may be too little. If too much tax is deducted you should contact the tax office for a refund or to have the tax credited against tax owing. If too little is deducted you should contact the tax office and pay the balance.
    the above is taken from:
    http://www.mcgibney.com/sub_contractors_tax_guide.htm#C2
    *end edit*

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is a certificate of authorisation, a type of tax clearance certificate. The actual C2 is a photo ID card issued by the Revenue Commissioners www.revenue.ie to contractors working in certain industries with no fixed work place (construction, forestry or meat processing industries). Do a search for "C2" on www.gov.ie . in particular http://www.revenue.ie/doc/tcinfo_subcont.doc

In effect the advertisers are saying they want (1) subcontractors, not employees (2) who are registered for tax. If you don't have a C2, they have to pass 35% of the gross contract price direct to the Revenue Commissioners (which is a headache).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

CHeers for that lads :)
    Originally posted by Victor
    If you don't have a C2, they have to pass 35% of the gross contract price direct to the Revenue Commissioners (which is a headache).

I had some idea what it was, but couldn't find out why ppl wanted it. That just clears it up.

Advertisement