Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Board Request - News & Media

• 03-12-2002 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there should be a board specificly for discussing things like newspapers, magazines, freesheets and the like (including electronic media) and current affairs and other stuff that doesn't fit neatly into either content forums (sports, politics, Free Radio) or technology forums (Technology, ICDG).

As a news junkie, I would be interested. Put it under After Hours or Society. Neither Ruairi nor Adam for mod (but Knitting Monthly will be banned).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Sounds good =D but you would need a few very active news reporters? I'd imagine it would be a very active forum.. unless u only let the said reporters start topics about important news issues..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

And this weeks guest publication is Flame: The Methodist Magazine...

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveirl
    not saying yes or no but can you give me an example of news that doesn't fit into an existing forum?

For example discussing new publications like the free-sheets "The Slate" (satire / entertainment listings) and "Backpacker" (self explanatory).

Or discussing how particular media outlets treat a particular story (e.g. the board of the Irish Independent directing the Editor not to publish a particular story recently).

And of course, topical issues could be discussed (mostly those that land in After Hours, like some of the September 11th topics).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

i fully endorse this product/service

i think its a good idea, not as serious as politics not as restricted in topic as some of the techno boards. something for the in betweens:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Surely politics, humanties and After Hours cover all the areas not covered by specific forums?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Surely politics, humanties and After Hours cover all the areas not covered by specific forums?
    But I(?) want to take stuff from them. and I was hoping for stuff that wouldn't necessarily fit / be allowed on the above be included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Doesnt seem like a good idea, lots of cross posts.

How about you create the forum with no posting permissions and if a mod deems the thread eligable for "news and media" they move it there where people can add replys.

That way its not missed in the people in the original forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by Dustaz

I agree with Dustaz I don't see the point in duplicating lots of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by LoGiE
    I agree with Dustaz I don't see the point in duplicating lots of stuff.

Nobody buy LoGiE a photocopier for Christmas.

Oh, and I agree with Dustaz too tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Har Har....:)

Prehaps I'll change that to
    i fully endorse this product/service
    That seems to be the usual reply to forum requests these days especiallly when they're "Can I have a Dancing Chickens/Kitten cake board please?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Most important news events get discussed on Humanities. And Humanities aint exactly suffering from overload at the moment.

You've actually posted a few news topics in Humanities and got little response because you haven't actually started a debate as such. What hope would there be for a dedicated news forum?
    So no endorsal of product and/or service for you m'lad.

A better idea would be to create a Kittencake forum. It would be tasty fluffy and full of goodness.

MESA LIKA KITTENCAKE! curve.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

ICDG can deal with all the broadcast media news. TV and Radio issues are discussed on the Broadcasting board, but the chat there is not too frequent. I'll put it to Ronan, (ICDG wunderkind :D) maybe we can create a general media news forum, encompassing newspapers and other print media, as well as the established TV and Radio chat.

But, from the level of chat we've had, I don't think it can be sustained. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Buy a newspaper. End of problem.

.logic.

Originally posted by amp
    You've actually posted a few news topics in Humanities and got little response because you haven't actually started a debate as such. What hope would there be for a dedicated news forum?
    Well that such topics would feel "happy" when they go uncommented on ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Why not create a weblog and post any interesting news stories you find on it. Put it in your sig and then it will be sort of like your very own board!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by LoGiE
    Can I have a Dancing Chickens board please?
    I endorse this product and or service and would like to subscribe to the media review of its creation in your new spangly board.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I've no problem with a general media forum, being a media junkie (I buy up to three newspapers a day!).

Topics like -
    TV: The licence fee increase (currently being discussed on ICDG's Broadcasting Forum)
    Radio: The ILR refranchising process (did CKR deserve to lose its contract, should the Tip Mid-West franchise have been abolished).
    Newspapers: Do Tony O'Reilly and Rupert Murdoch control too much of the print media. Are the libel laws too restrictive?

TV and Radio programmes could also be discussed. I wouldn't want every newspaper article being discussed though, unless it was about the media. That sort of thing could be in the politics (or perhaps a new Miscellanious) forum.

I will mod if needs be.

And discuss how miserable the SBP has become :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=679068#post679068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd like to see such a board, as for interest and post turnover
    why worry, how many post on Business and Economy?

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement