Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diskpart

• 03-12-2002 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

after using this to format a 2nd partition i wasn't using,

is it possibe to join the latter which i am not using now to the first , i know partiton magic et all do it,

but can this windows utility do it? haven't found any option to join the two so far!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think you would have to do it in fdisk, in which case you would have to format the whole partition before you could use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

fdisk to be run in dos or what?

i cannot seem to access fdisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

is that not just "format c:" in dos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well, as you mentioned, you can use Partition Magic to stretch your original partion, to include the un-used space..

Failing that, I believe (possibly incorrectly) that you might be able to use Disk Administrator, to merge the two partitions...

But your best bet sounds like partition magic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I presume you know what format c: will do!
    Fdisk is run from dos/command prompt. Which operating system are you using? If it is Win98 just boot into dos and type fdisk. If W2k or WXP you may have to use a windows 98 cd and boot your pc with cd rom support (one of the options it will give you). Then cd to win98, then type fdisk.
    Have a look around the options there, it will prompt you once or twice before it does anything but if you're not sure what you are doing then as Krusty says, Partition Magic is the better choice.
    Without knowing the details I would guess that you should format the unused partition to the same file system as the one you want to merge it with first as this will give you the best chance of merging without having to format the whole lot.
    Oh, and defrag both partitions a couple of times beforehand too.
    Hope this helps, if not I hope I didn't insult your intelligence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If you dont want to loose any files you have on the partition use partition magic (tis easier to use anyway).

Other wise FdisK will do it but all info will be lost.

Advertisement