Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STD Dilemma

• 04-12-2002 1:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently been diagnosed with a chronic STD caused by having unprotected sex.
    This has caused me to feel tremendous amounts of guilt, as I've had unprotected sex with several women in the last few weeks, and have no doubt passed my infection on to them.

I met most of these women in copper face jacks but I haven't been able to face going back there since I've been diagnosed, because I don't know what I should do if I should happen to meet any of them again.

Which comes to my dilemma - should I try to seek out these women to tell them they need to be tested (as they may very well be passing on the infection) or should I just leave things alone because of the possible consequences that may be involved?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

That wasn't very clever now was it both on your part and the women involved....but anyway, what are the chances of you seeing most of these girls again? Very slim I'd imagine but if you do see any of these girls it would be the right thing to do in my opinion. You don't have to tell them you slept with loads of women or anything just say that you've caught something recently and your concerned she might have caught it and suggest she gets a test done. Chances are she'll give you a slap but at least she then has the option of doing something about it and protecting anyone else she comes into contact with. My 2c

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

should I try to seek out these women to tell them they need to be tested (as they may very well be passing on the infection)

damn right you should!

or should I just leave things alone because of the possible consequences that may be involved?

you reap what you sow - perhaps if you had thought about the consequences before hand you would not be in this position now.
    The very least you can do now is fix it, these women are passing it on and also need to be treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Galloping knob-rot batman, sounds bad!!!! Personally speaking, get yourself cleared up and don't go back to coppers again. Two sides to every story, you had unprotected sex BUT so did the girls you were having it with. Sooooo, effectively they took their chances when they did it. Get cured, find a new bar and invest in some condoms. Oh yeah, and merry Xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

What Beruthiel said

If they had unprotected sex with you, think how many others they may have it with, and then multiply that by the number of women you had sex with, to get the potential *people* infected. XX, your apathy is all very well, but consider that you might be one of the victims.

Also, even a minor STD can have major repurcussions if not treated early - you could be affecting these women's ability to bear children, or even their health.

To be honest, if you don't tell them, IMHHO, this is tantamount to a crime - spreading a disease and allowing it to perpetuate knowing that the only reason you don't stop it is guilt and pride.

Swallow the pride, before *your* infection spreads to more and more people over the Christmas

Hedgetrimmer, comments appreciated, but I NEVER EVER have sex without a condom, and I don't really put it around on one night stands either. Two night stands, now thats another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Originally posted by hedgetrimmer
    If they had unprotected sex with you, think how many others they may have it with, and then multiply that by the number of women you had sex with, to get the potential *people* infected. XX, your apathy is all very well, but consider that you might be one of the victims.

Na in my opinion anyone stupid enuff to have a one night stand and not use protection deserves an STD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Although they're stupid slappers, I would suggest you tell them, as being that they are stupid slappers, they'll pass it on to more eejit blokes like yourself, who'll sleep with more stupid slappers and you get the picture.

Dilemma my ass. You know what to do!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Exactly. There is no question that you are obliged not only morally, but by law I think as well, to inform these women that you may have passed on a communicable disease, be that disease sexually transmitted or otherwise.

Frankly, I'm surprised you even thought you should ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Fair enough XX, and good for you, but I still stand by the comment that he should tell them

Where is Copper Face Jacks again 8-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Finding a number of girls that you had one night stands with- Needle in a haystack. Finding number of girls that you had one night stands with while probably hammered- finding a needle in a pit 10,000 times the size of the sun.

Good luck with whatever you decide, shave the scrot and surrounding areas and get on with that cream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Don't be a muppet.

You know what pub you were in and you will recognise the girls if and when you see them there.

Sure you could sit on your ass, hold up your hands and absolve yourself of responsibility due to laziness and lack any kind of moral fibre, but this is serious stuff.

You know you have an STD and that you have probably passed it onto to numerous women, now if you don't even attempt to tell those women about that STD and those women get sick from it, you are in fact legally liable.

Sure go ahead and be ignorant, sit on your ass and absolve yourself of responsibility if it makes you feel good, but if it were me, I would most certainly do the right thing.

Look at it this way. If the person who had infected the girl who infected you, had told her, you probably wouldn't have been infected. So if you feel hard done by, being infected, take action to make sure 'less' people eventually become infected.

Simple logic really.

Basically unreg, do the right thing, don't sit on your ass like a muppet.

Typedef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lemondrop

Of course you should try to find them. I cant believe your even questioning it. For one thing its illegal and could you really live with the guilt of knowing that you possibly cost women of ever having children b/c with some STDs thats a side effect if left untreated. Is Jimminy Cricket not working overtime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Did you get their phone numbers ??

Text them..

beep beep beep beep,
    You have one new std in your vodafone underpants.

seriously you need to find them and tell them. As somebody already said, std's can do serious damage if untreated. Worst case scenario infertility or death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Som1 please tell me-what is Copper Jacks?In the 25 year old virgin threadsom1 said"Get yourself down to the coppers boy".I just dismissed it as somebody with a garda uniform fetish:D

So anyway what is it?

And BTW I read that with genital warts(i think)whle the warts are curable the virus remains.Does this mean you can never have safe unprotected sex again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

gopher you can NEVER have safe unprotected sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is a worrying trend.

People seem to have lost that late 80's/early 90's HIV/AIDS fear and STD's are on a major increase by all accounts.

It doesn't sound too good if people are having unprotected sex that frequently.

There should be a survey mapping the pubs you visit and the likelyhood of getting an STD.

There has to be some correlation ;)

As for you ... Go back to Copper Face Jacks and see if you can find the women in question. Better than fscking up their chances of having children or worse.

And as for you ... if you recover buy a continent sized box of condoms and use them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Unregístered
    I've recently been diagnosed with a chronic STD caused by having unprotected sex.
    It's difficult to say, but a factor should be the effect upon the girls in question. Please consider that many STD's that are of cosmetic consiquence to men have more serious issues to women, such as the increased rate of cirvical cancer caused by genital warts or herpes.

I feel for you m8, but you'll have to bite the bullet on this one. It's not going to be plesent, and there'll be a few scenes, but once you get over that they'll talk to you again. You're all equally at fault, and so once you they over the shock, they'll be able to talk to you about it calmly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MickRyan2000

Originally posted by The Gopher
    Som1 please tell me-what is Copper Jacks?In the 25 year old virgin threadsom1 said"Get yourself down to the coppers boy".I just dismissed it as somebody with a garda uniform fetish:D
    Copper Face Jacks, 29 Harcourt St => more info here - also known as "Slapper Face Jacks" because of the incredible ease with which it is possible to pull a fine young Irish woman.

Originally posted by Seraphina
    gopher you can NEVER have safe unprotected sex.
    I think meant "safe unprotected sex" in the context of something along the lines of sex in marriage.

[Edit: no need to be so graphic << Fio >> ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Graemo

This only goes to prove what I' ve allways suspected, Coppers is a classless cr*phole full of dirty slags only to keen to get the leg over some oversexed peckerhead who never got laid when younger and feels the need to make up for it in later life.
    Don't feel bad the amount of people who've had an STD in their life and not done anything about it far outways those who do. Besides the dirty old dogs you've been bonking probably new they had somthing or other to pass about when they shagged you. It really does take two to tango. Get your pecker fixed and try to remember how important it is to you and should be protected from skanky ho's the like of which you'll pick up in coppers.
    You wear a seatbelt in the car don't you ...............don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Looks like somebody doesn't like Coppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Sorry Seraphina,as Mickryan said by safe unprotected sex I meant having sex with your wife/long term girlfriend without using a condom.I cant think of anything worse than picking up a non lethal STD when you are young which stays with you for life,meaning you only risk sex without condoms when you are trying for kids.:eek:

I read in the paper a few weeks ago one in six young irish women have an STD.mainly chlamydia.I was just wondering if this is actually true or just scaremongering.Its just that it seems strange that probably 90% of the public have never heard of tis disease which has potentially bad long term effects such as infertillity.I think it said only 50% of women display any obvious symptoms of the disease,meaning that 1 in 12 could carry it for many years without knowing.

Personally I would be more worried about this kind of disease than AIDS,seeing as it is a fairly rare illness in Ireland.Which leads me on to another question.Exactly how safe is it to have sex with foreigners here STD wise?Im not being racist or anything but i read a very disturbing article on teletext a while back about how Russia is now ravaged by problems associated with bad living conditions,namely a rise in AIDS and a huge rise in Chlamydia,which along with alcoholism has left a large amount of women infertile.Is there an increased risk of AIDS and the like from foreign women?
    Sorry if this sounds in any way racist but I am simply checking my options :) As quite a few of those Russian/other foreign girls dont look bad at all;) But Im more concerned at what lies underneath:(
    And also nobody anwsered my original question so please do
    :)
    Also one last question-can you catch an STD FROM a woman when recieving oral sex(or when shes giving you a blow,for the skangers here:) )What I mean is,suppose you have just got the STD all clear from the doctor and later on a girl performs for you.Can you catch an STD from her saliva coming into contact with your lower regions?And what about when you use your fingers(Im sorry for the explicitness but I cant think of a legtimate term for fingering:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MickRyan2000

Also one last question-can you catch an STD FROM a woman when recieving oral sex(or when shes giving you a blow,for the skangers here:)
    You can definately catch HIV from oral sex (fellatio) - not sure about cunnilingus ("muff-diving" for the scangers here :))

Important Question:

How many STDs are there that a condom won't protect you from?
    For instance, pubic lice - how the hell is a condom going to stop you from getting that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Jeez, if you **** anyone you met in coppers, you're probably at higher risk given the amount of slappers and manwhores that go there!

And if you don't use a condom, well, frankly you deserve your genital rot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

And what about when you use your fingers(Im sorry for the explicitness but I cant think of a legtimate term for fingering:D )

Very low risk, as long as you have no open wounds/cuts/lesions on your fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

if it is indeed a chronic, i.e. going to get worse over time and possibly lead to death, then you know what do to unregi.

===

Can you catch STD's using a condom, if so which ones and how likely is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As Mickryan pointed out you can get STD's with a condom as there are things that you don't want that live around the pubic area.

Look here for some STD/VD info and...
    Here for Male/Male sexual info and here for female/female info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

when i was in 4th year they sent some dude from the eastern health board around to show us pictures of rotted knob etc, it was so god damn unpleasant it was unreal, maybe you should try it if you dont like using a condom how and ever you can still transmit genital warts even with a condom, so be warned!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Originally posted by Shad0r
    Na in my opinion anyone stupid enuff to have a one night stand and not use protection deserves an STD.

Hmmm... shador & etho... I think that judgement is easily made, but hard to implement. Tbh, when you do meet someone and both of ye are gaging for it, all that you can think about is "Fvck, wish I had a condom", and you have to agree with me there, Its up to you on how you act upon your emotions & hormones....

I've personally never done this, but I've been in the situation a few times where it nearly happened, except that I was completely drunk and couldn't perform :eek: Thank god really.

And xx ... stfu and stop píssing me and other ppl off.

<edit> BTW, I've heard that if you keep a condom in your wallet (like all us studs out there ;) ), the heat from your body (Expansion & contraction), overtime, can degenerate the condom and render it ineffective... anyone know much about this? </edit>

Advertisement