Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No one lives forever 2

Options
  • 04-12-2002 1:10am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just finished this game,what an experience!
    Good plot,gorgeous graphics,great action and funny,what more could one ask for.
    Seriously though this is possibly the best single -player game ive ever played.
    I heartily recomend it to all,but you gonna need a beefy machine to get the true visual beauty,wait till you see the water affects or to the tech-heads its Pixel shading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

what specs did you try it on?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

P4 1.5,384 mb,geforce 4 TI 4200
    IT ran sweet for me, 1280x960 res and 32 bit colour.
    The geforce 4 TI loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

does anywhere rent pc games anymore ,i know gamesworld did years ago,

you'd think that the video stores would :rolleyes:

anyhew i got a p4 1.7, i think my card might struggle a bit geforce 2 mx tv out, have 256 ddr ram though..

i played the first and that was a bit woeful,.,.

is it well recommended ~ how much did you get it for?

The geforce 2 mx will struggle in a big way i feel.
    I tried it on a P4 1.4,384mb and a geforce 2 gtsalso,it ran ok at low res ie 800x600 but all the amazing water and lava affects were not present.
    Your cpu and ram will be well able for it but your geforce 2 mx will be a bottleneck as are all mx cards,a good rule of tumb with GF cards is to stay clear of all mx cards and that includes GF4 mx cards that a know all assistant in GAME recently tried to tell a friend of mine was fastest GPU in the world LOL.
    Its still a highly recomended game though with your specs ,just lower same texture detail and run in 16 bit and lowish resand youll be fine.Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Dcully
    Just finished this game,what an experience!
    Good plot,gorgeous graphics,great action and funny,what more could one ask for.
    Seriously though this is possibly the best single -player game ive ever played.
    I heartily recomend it to all,but you gonna need a beefy machine to get the true visual beauty,wait till you see the water affects or to the tech-heads its Pixel shading.

Not trying to be totally anal, but the real beauty of the water effects in Nolf2 are that they use Cube Environment Mapping, not Pixel Shading, meaning any Geforce card should be able to render the water. Remember the squishy silver sphere Tech Demo on the original Geforce256 card, twas the same effect?

I was particularly impressed with the eyes of the characters during the sequences.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It`ll run no problems on that gf2mx card, in fact ive had it running on all my sub par gfx cards(not that i have any above par)

Gf 2mx 200
    gf 2 GTS
    Radeon 7000
    Herc Prophet Kyro II

It ran well on all the cards with the 2 nvidia cards coming out best, seeing as the Kyro doesnt support HW T+L :confused:

Im using the 23.11 dets with AA disabled

Good game, i liked the multi action of the first, i havent got round to playing NOLF2 in multi.

Whats it like?

Not trying to be totally anal, but the real beauty of the water effects in Nolf2 are that they use Cube Environment Mapping, not Pixel Shading, meaning any Geforce card should be able to render the water. Remember the squishy silver sphere Tech Demo on the original Geforce256 card, twas the same effect?

Based on Morrowind when i disabled pixel-shading all i got on water surface was a dull grey ripple affect.
    When enabled the water is stunning with ripples and reflections.

My understanding of cube environmental mapping is gorgeous reflections i see in Colin mc rae rally 2 as there is an option in gfx menu to enable/disable Cube EM,when off i just get a see through window but when enabled the environment as in trees etc are mapped on to car and window surfaces.

If indeed you are correct then can you give me an explanation of pixel shading?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, heres an explanation of Pixel Shading straight from nVidia:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_pixelshader

The reflection effect in Colin Mcrae on the Windows is the same principal as the relection effect in the water on NOLF2. If you remember the squishy ball demo from nVidia, it was like a floating ball of water, also using CEM. You also notice that water made with Pixel Shaders moves in fairly realistic waves, while the CEM water moves much more "gel" like, as if the water was too thick.

Heres a very old faq on CEM from nVidia:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=feature_cube

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB DDR, GF3 Ti500.

Thought the graphics were gorgeous, especially the afforementioned water. Made me chuckle a few times, like the evil HARM organisation posting memos on the wall about how secret their secret subs were.
    A bit too easy to hold my attention for too long though so I won't be buying it, although I have heard complaints that it's too short also.

Advertisement