Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation2 as DVD

Options
  • 04-12-2002 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭

Ill be buying a dvd soon and was wondering is the ps2s dvd plaback performance any good? Does it play 5.1 sound? dts etc.? can have the home theatre stuff hooked up? If it does i might kill two birds with one stone. Also its the ps2 multi-region? I have multi-region dvds. Advice appreciated.

Thx.
    _______
    Dotsie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It has optical out, and support DTS and Dolby 5.1.
    It's not multi-region.
    Personally I wouldn't buy one for its DVD playing abilities.. plus you'll have to purchase a remote control as well.
    Do a search on either the Home Entertainment boards, here or Games and you'll find loads of opinions on its playback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

You dont *have* to buy a remote as you *can* use the joypad although it is not ideal.

You could also chip it to make it multi region. Also with it chipped you get macrovision removed and can also now play divx on it (which is handy)

The newer model ps2's are fine for dvd playback, the older versions are awful and often the video and audio goes badly out of synch on it.

Personally I prefer a standalone dvd player (especially as a lot of them play vcd and mp3).

Considered xbox? Not a bad dvd player!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Playstation 2 is a cheap nasty DVD player, it cant play the older DVD's eg. The Matrix, Blade etc. It plays the new DVD's very badly, sound picture out of sync, skips tracks, occasionally stops for no apparent reason!? PS2 cant play mp3's, vcd's or divx, most new standalone players will do this for you.

My advice, buy a PS2 if you want to play games, buy a DVD player if you want to play DVD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    You dont *have* to buy a remote as you *can* use the joypad although it is not ideal.

Aye.. should have said that, its just so woeful when your in a friends house.. "will we watch a dvd" and they start fiddling around with the joypad for 5 minutes.. the menus and dvd controls are horrible enough without having to use that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Right. Advice taken. Now what i need is a pointer to where i can get a good dvd player with d5.1, multi-region, for a good price here. Any shops, sites, people like?

_________
    Thx Dots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

I got my dvd player from www.scan.co.uk , nice player with all features you want and mp3 playback / vcd etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yep - the Scan SC-2500 is a fantastic player for the price, and a lot better than some significantly more expensive "big name" players.

Avoid the little low-profile silver KISS player they have there though, it looks lovely but the hardware in it is meant to be a bit dodgy.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    I got my dvd player from www.scan.co.uk , nice player with all features you want and mp3 playback / vcd etc.

From other threads here, I believe that Scan are not very good to buy from. Is there anyone else?

I'm looking for a cheap but reliable DVD player which will play MP3 and VCD and Multiregion (plus cope with RCE Region 1)

Advertisement