Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog soldiers

• 04-12-2002 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has seen this, just got it off a mate a few days ago and thought it was brilliant. Its one of the better 'military meet fantasy' kinda films, which usually totally suck, but this one i enjoyed. Some of the tricks they pulled to try and survive the dire situation they were in was very entertaining. Good few twists in it, howver one or two were predictable
    such as when the 2 of them changed into werewolves themselves, but the way the girl was killed was very funny 'it must be that time of the month *grrrrr* *BANG*' lol, couldnt help but laugh
    . It had a half decent ending, this really isnt a bright and colourful werewolf film
    its also one of the few films were only one guy survives, in most films like this 2 or 3 make it, but the last few had some nice end's, hehe
    . The special effects may not be that good, but the rest of the film more than makes up for it.

Id recommend this film to anyone who likes gripping films, because thats one of the best ways to describe it in my opinion :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

I heard so much build up before I saw it that I was really disappointed by it. Its ok, a decent video rental if you've seen most of the rest, but that's about it. Some decent one-liners, lots of groaners though. Much preferred the likes of Resident Evil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Thanks for them TmB, nice to see so many others enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I heard so much build up before I saw it

Me too ... but I thought it was good. I thought the special effects were very well done considering it was a budget film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

I went to buy this in the City Centre the other day and after going to every shop i could think of (HMV,Tower, Virgin, Lazer, Forbidden Planet) i still couldn't find it to buy it does anyone know where i can get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

It's not out for sale until February 2003.
    You might be able to pick it up ex-rental in the meantime, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Yeah its a class film! Was also good to see a horror film where the actors dont all have american accents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    It's not out for sale until February 2003.
    You might be able to pick it up ex-rental in the meantime, though.

You can get it now on Region 1.
    I'm waiting for the postman to drop it in my door some time next week.
    Got it from cdwow.ie, €23 I think.

You can rent it from xtra vision, saw it in there last time i was in.

Originally posted by Makaveli
    You can get it now on Region 1.
    I'm waiting for the postman to drop it in my door some time next week.
    Got it from cdwow.ie, €23 I think.
    Sure - but who wants the R1 one, when the R2 has so much more? :D

• Advertisement

Yeah but if you're impatient like I am you dont want to wait till
    availability: Due for release on 03/02/2003

Originally posted by Makaveli
    Yeah but if you're impatient like I am you dont want to wait till
    Yeah, but the waiting will just make the extra scan lines, "Director, Cast and Crew" commentary, deleted scenes, gag reel, and b-roll footage (all missing from the R1 version) all the sweeter :D

Besides, until then, there's always rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i bought a pirate copy of this dvd on holidays in cyprus in September
    absolutely terrible because they had taped it off the American sci-fi channel so it was cut to bits
    the bad language was all edited out, so that was half the dialogue
    and the bit where they were putting the sarges guts back in was cut
    i'll wait till it comes out properly and get it then

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING

i can't say how much i love this film

everything about ti was brilliant but the bit at the end
    when the swords goes into the guys teeth really really slowly
    aaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh really put me on edge

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Yeah, but the waiting will just make the extra scan lines, "Director, Cast and Crew" commentary, deleted scenes, gag reel, and b-roll footage (all missing from the R1 version) all the sweeter :D

shaddup, I'll just get the r2 version aswell then. :)

well if ur a moneybags yeah makaveli hahahaahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

saw it at the weekend taught it was booldy funneh!! those guys are fairly hardcore!! esp spooney in the fight!!! also the sargent!! those of you who have seen it know what i mean!

Came home from college today to find it sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me.

Sent on the 6th arrives on the 9th, from Hong Kong over a weekend, that's impressive to say the least. Fair play to cdwow and An Post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

I thought that it was one of the worst films ive seen in a long time.

and thats a lot of films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Klytus

Dog Soldiers is an absolute load of s.h.i.t.e! The werewolves were crap, the musical score was just complete pants and the dialogue was dreadful.

Had potential to be far better but all things considered and the numerous plot holes really made me lose interest. The photography isn't up to much either with really poor shots of the werewolves running by the camera side-on...boring! / one arm in a window, a letterbox, a doorway, the sergeants arse! Arms everywhere and not much else for the most part, for the obvious reasons. They plainly didn't have a big enough budget to make more convincing ones. The only reason I'd suggest anyone watch this, is because it would give some hope to aspiring film-makers. You don't need a hollywood budget to make a film. Just some good ideas, sadly this film has none. Pants. Pants. Pants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Klytus

They plainly didn't have a big enough budget to make more convincing ones. The only reason I'd suggest anyone watch this, is because it would give some hope to aspiring film-makers. You don't need a hollywood budget to make a film. Just some good ideas, sadly this film has none. Pants. Pants. Pants.

Ummm .... they DIDN'T have much money at all. Somethign to the tune of £15,000 sterling I do believe.

Cracking film made all the more amazing they did it on such a small budget.

Originally posted by Lemming
    Ummm .... they DIDN'T have much money at all. Somethign to the tune of £15,000 sterling I do believe.
    When I heard it was low budget I didnt think it would be THAT low, must have been very resourceful to make a film from, which included a house blowing up and 2cars gettin ripped to shreads, and a dozen weapons. Personally I cant see many flaws in this film (apart the musical bit a little ,it wasnt needed..), quality entertainment if you ask me.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Originally posted by Lemming
    ROFL!! YOU try making a film with £15,000 and see how far it gets you! It was actually closer to ~£3 million. Still very small, but there you go.

I've gotta say on the whole I found Dog Soldiers boring, samey and predictable. The werewolves, while done well, were nothing special (and definitely not scary), and the middle half of the movie seemed to consist of soldiers shooting blindly out of windows. I got a few laughs out of it (admittedly in places you weren't meant to laugh at), but the next day I had pretty much forgotten most of it.

Compared to most other werewolf movies it's definitely one of the better ones, but that not really saying much imo.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by Jazz
    ROFL!! YOU try making a film with £15,000 and see how far it gets you! It was actually closer to ~£3 million. Still very small, but there you go.

TBH, I wasn't very sure about that 15k price-tag. On several occasions I remember thinking to myself "Geez, they got that helicopter/army equipment/jeep/etc dirt cheap on that kind of budget ....."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Crap film... One sentence comes to mind.. at the end:

"They Think it's all over.... " ..... ffs what bull :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ssh, it was clearly one of the best films released this year.

The werewolves were EXTREMELY well done. When movies show werewolves full-on, they always look rubbish. The camera-effects they used in Dog Soldiers gave the right mix of "sh*t they're after me and by god they're scary!".

It wasn't meant to be a hugely taxing on the mind, just entertaining. And it succeeded.

Advertisement