Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestion: Broadband Forum

• 04-12-2002 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

How about a board for broadband users to discuss what they can use their broadband connections for. Links to downloads/games/streaming content etc. (Basically I'm looking for a list of excuses as to why I should spend €100+ a month for DSL :))

Also another idea - a Bookmarks board where people can post links to interesting sites.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

We already have a Cable/ MMDS/ Broadband Forum, TCSM.

Maybe we should get rid of the BB tag and give it its own identity. I can't see it being widely used - and you'd need to watch out for the warez monkeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The main Broadband Forum here is the Why the Fsck don't we have broadband forum (and much much more) aka IOFFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

I think the ICDG broadband is more to do with getting broadband over cable and the IOFFL forum is about getting broadband rolled out, but none of the boards deal with what you can do with broadband once you have it.

Remember there are 1900 of us now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

IMHO CSM makes a good point - unless it fits into Nets/Comms (where hitherto I'd move queries re broadband problems for people who actually have it), there's no board specifically for people with broadband problems

(obviously the "why the fcuk don't we have it" forum already exists and probably will for some time)

Worth discussing anyway rather than dismissing the idea out of hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

its a good idea.

but its like a private club for the lucky few! :(

Originally posted by Phreak
    its a good idea.

but its like a private club for the lucky few! :(

We can call it the "Holy Grail" board so :)

Sceptre - I didn't mean broadband problems really, I was thinking more of links to streaming video or downloads etc. Basically stuff that you can do with broadband that you can't do with a modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

By the way why have people got broadband if they don't know what to do with it?

...maybe i should get a woman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

I think he's just doing this to make me cry.
    My exchange isn't being upgraded until January.
    For Shame tcsm...
    For Shame.
    *sob*

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    Basically stuff that you can do with broadband that you can't do with a modem.

Definitely don't have that at the moment. Thumbs firmly up then (at least to see how it goes). I suppose I could always go out to UL at 4am & have a nice fat cable to myself so I can join your happy club;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I agree with CSM, Its so hard to find good broadband sites.
    For instance any streaming sites i have found is slow and basically the same as if you were watching on dialup.
    I would love to have a board with links to good streaming downloading broadband sites.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ah sure why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

so you want to swap links for warez, pr0n and movies then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by tHE vAGGABOND
    so you want to swap links for warez, pr0n and movies then :)

no no no, not at all. All we want is a Dirty auld forum which will affect the way we connect to the internet, without invoking the hubris of ordinary users. I cant see anyone having a problem with this ?

*cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmmm... subliminal downloads anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Maybe we could use the Fre*Mas*ns Forum - there's probably as many broadband users as mas*ns?

And, Dustaz could mod it!? :)

Ah, but you see the crucial difference is that Broadband exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

speak up now all fellow broadband people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

ah Dustaz says broadband does exist, and as although it may not be widely used, the hope is that it will, and so why wait untill there are a lot of people connect? maybe it is time to take the initiative and put up the forum and hopefully watch it grow as more and more people get broadband

• Advertisement

I support this, in case that wasnt clear before now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

i would subscribe to this journal or periodical.
    (hopefully) broadband will change the way we use the web entirely, so it'd be useful to start looking at that now.
    soem pron links would be nice as well though...

*cough*/bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Got my thumbs up, interested to see it going

I would gladly moderate it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

*raises hand*

I think it's a great idea :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    The main Broadband Forum here is the Why the Fsck don't we have broadband forum (and much much more) aka IOFFL.

Indeed and I think the discussion should be left in there.

Originally posted by The Cigarette Smoking Man
    How about a board for broadband users to discuss what they can use their broadband connections for. Links to downloads/games/streaming content etc. (Basically I'm looking for a list of excuses as to why I should spend €100+ a month for DSL :))

Also another idea - a Bookmarks board where people can post links to interesting sites.
    I think the ICDG broadband is more to do with getting broadband over cable and the IOFFL forum is about getting broadband rolled out, but none of the boards deal with what you can do with broadband once you have it.

Basically stuff that you can do with broadband that you can't do with a modem, thats what its about, not activism :)

• Advertisement

Captain, can we have a go/no go for launch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I still think that a forum about broadband would be a good idea. A place to share sites with good bandwidth, connection optimisations, and general tips/hints/support is something that I'd enjoy anyway.

I understand that there aren't many with BB, but surely the number can only grow. And Boards.ie should be proactive, and not reactive :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

not a bad idea, give it a shot :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, we'll give it a shot....

I have 512 at home and 1mb in work so I could do with some meaty links. NOT that kinda meat!

DeV.

Sorry for dragging up old posts and thanks for the broadband board. Just i spotted that there are no moderators for it. I offer my services to keep things in line. Im browse boards everyday blah blah and have eircoms 1mb dsl at home.
    Chief---.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by Chief---
    Sorry for dragging up old posts and thanks for the broadband board. Just i spotted that there are no moderators for it. I offer my services to keep things in line. Im browse boards everyday blah blah and have eircoms 1mb dsl at home.
    Chief---.

*whisper* sells drugs to kids *whisper*

I on the other hand , dont...

Have 512k ibb............ and can whip of a batch of brownies on request......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Chief---.

I have been told that by endorsing the product/service i will become more attractive to the opposite sex, my wealth will improve ten fold and i will live till im 104. I therefore give it my seal of approval

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would gladly moderate it too.

chiefy would be a good choice - not not only has the charms and the good looks to woo dustaz err i mean the women but also the determination and stamina to moderate this board :) he has my vote !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Y'know politicians don't even have to make this much effort of a reply to a balad.....

I vote aye

I vote chief, hes an upright member of the community....

• Advertisement

Ah, the vultures are circling

ah beat me to it sceptre :)

it seems a pretty clean forum atm anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Hah, I see pimping going on amongst the masses. We love the Chief day celebrated. (OMG how sad)

Though I'll begrudgingly add to it. I'll give him my vote. Decent character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

BRING ON THE BROADBAND

also. goe Chief ;)

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shagus

Yah to Broadband!
    Yah to Chief!

/Bal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I totally hate you guys :)

The sad thing is he gets my vote aswell, I couldnt mod my way out a paper bag forum

If I was asked I probably would accept. I spend alot of time searching for good broadband sites.
    I think "Cigarette Smoking Man" would also make a good moderator. He has a similar interest to mine in finding quality broadband sites and telling people about them. There isnt many IMO but its nice to see the good ones.
    Chief.

Advertisement