Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30% VRT on anything over 1901 cc

Options
  • 04-12-2002 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

Seemingly Cha has decided to burden us with an extra five percent on anything over 1.9 litre.

Presumingly he's wiped out the 25% VRT bracket and just made it 20% and 30%.

And theres the VAT on that too.

Stuff like this is illegal in a lot of other countries ;)

Add to that the 3c on Diesel ... the commercial fleet will really feel that badly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sigh...there goes the V6 then...;)

Seriously, its a bloody outrage. The tax is barely legal and putting it up is a slap in the face even to 1.2l types like me.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

:mad: Yeah, that was great news today :mad:

He couldn't have timed it better, with me going to import a Volvo S40 T4 from England in the new year. Looks like it's back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I wouldn't mind but didnt the EU tell the Irish government to get rid of VRT since it was double taxation? The VRT is a farce and it is the only reason cars here are so feicing dear......

Ah well I suppose my next car will stay under 1.9 I'll just go for a 1.8T :)

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

You can do a fairly suprising amount with 1800CC to play with - see the Tiger Z100 for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bo Duke

Just buy something smaller than a 1.9 with a turbo a supercharged motor or just import an american muscle car from the 60s.No vrt no road tax.Why??????Cause its a classic and once you have a private car you can get classic car insurance for buttons.Also if you want to beat anything in a straight line you cant do any better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It' s a lot more than an issue of engine power. If the government want to draw huge taxation from motorists they should balance it so that the people who pay for motoring are those who make the most use of it. Taking 30% off some one because they want a comfortably large engine is not the way to go.

Here in Ireland we have some of the lowest "cost" prices available in europe.

The state then heaps on double taxation forcing prices through the roof.

Does anyone have figures for the number of english people who buy cars here and register them back in the UK? (The VRT is a flat rate £150 over there after all ... it was last time I looked)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Does anyone have figures for the number of english people who buy cars here and register them back in the UK? (The VRT is a flat rate £150 over there after all ... it was last time I looked)

Whoa - we're gettting confused here between road tax and vrt.

The VED (uk road tax) is a lot less than it is here, but they are changing their system shortly to one based on CO2 emissions, though I think the upper limit is still £155stg.

VRT here is a tax applied to the import price of a new car, and is only paid once, when the car is bought brand new. It's paid in addition to VAT.

The UK does not have an equivalent to VRT, and their VAT rate is lower. However, to balance list prices out across Europe, the manuacturers will set pre-tax prices so that list prices will be reasonably even. That's why so many English people buy new cars here and ship them over - our pre-tax prices are much lower, and they only have to pay 17.5% VAT then.

There is a comparison of pre-tax prices available somewhere on the european comission website afaik, but don't ask me where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My point is that the cost of getting a UK car registered and on the road is minimal compared to here hence the possibility to buy at out lower list prices and head home.

It would make sense if they could claim back the VRT (or not pay) as the car doesn't realy need to be properly registered here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If you are looking to buy a new car early next year close the deal ASAP.
    Nobody is going to want to pay the extra for a 2.0 litre engine so 18 and 1.9 litre sized cars will be in demand and dealers won't have enough to go around.
    I'm not in the trade so I'm not trying to talk up the market but I can't see how the price of 1.8 and 1.9 litre cars won't go up in the short term as a result of this.
    Premium 1.6 litre cars will probably feel the effect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Nobody is going to want to pay the extra for a 2.0 litre engine so 18 and 1.9 litre sized cars will be in demand and dealers won't have enough to go around.

...so true! my g/f's boss has ordered a 2.0 A6 and has left a €1000 deposit. They rang her up to say its gonna be €4k more!! (personally I told her to query that as i dont see how they came up with that figure) They gave her the option to change models. If she chooses to cancel she loses the deposit. She's now considering the 1.9Tdi as she refuse to give the gov. any more tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to add insult to injury it was announced today that Road Tax is up by 12% from January (guess who's road tax is due in January...)

Why was'nt this mentioned in the budget, did McCreevy forget?!

Liveline gave this some welly today nearly the whole show was full of irate drivers. Pat Kenny put the boot in too. Naturally we'll all pay up though...:(

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I think he should have slapped the tax on cars over 2500cc. These are the big cars that do most damage to the road. And also people who have these sort of cars could probably well afford it.

Obviously this applies to trucks also ??? Because tbh 1 truck does about as much damage to our roads as 100 cars. Especially when they exceed the legal weight limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Put simply our goverment are a bunch of cowboys!!

loads of stealth taxs have been introduced just days after the budget, anything that went down in the budget has been cancelled out by a stealth tax,

example Vat or something like that went down on houses, but vat on builders went up days later so it makes no differnce!

If we were in any other country then the entire population would be at the gates of every goverment buoilding trying to get the heads of goverment to roll!!

Car tax is up by 12%, and guess who's just announced a 12% pay rise for themselves?

DAMN GOVERMENT MUST DIE

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Basically whats going to happen is that you can add €70 per €1000 for a car over the new limit.So on a €20000(Example only) car the government will take €1400 form the price of the car.
    Its a rip off for motorists in this country.SIMI wanted this tax scrapped years ago but look what they got this year!!!!!!

Advertisement