Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird One Here! The Brain, childhood, music and association...

Options
  • 04-12-2002 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

This is going to sound weird but out of curiosity I'm gonna ask anyway.

Do any of you find that when you hear a particular song it reminds you of stuff from your childhood that you really shouldn't care about any more?

By this I'm not talking about 'real' things like the song that reminds you of christmas or your first kiss or whatever. What I mean is a song that without fail every time you hear it it'll remind you of something banal and everyday like a particular type of breakfast cereal or a toy car you had?

For example, everytime I hear the song 'Living in the Family' by Level 42 I'm reminded of these biscuits I used to eat as a kid called MiniCookies. Same thing happens when I hear 'You're the Voice' by John Farnham in that I'm reminded of Shredded Wheat. In fact I can even TASTE them in my mind just by hearing those tunes! And it's not just reserved to food either because every time I hear 'Manchild' by Neneh Cherry I'm reminded of Top-Trumps (Marvel Superheroes set to be precise).

How these associations happened I don't know but I'm guessing the song was being played on the radio/tv whilst I was experiencing what they are connected to for the first time.

So am I crazy or has anyone else ever that this nostalgic association between a song and some food/toy/etc that they had as a kid? Also , do any amateur psychologists out there have an explaination for why this happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Yeh, i think this happens to everyone. The reason you only ever hear of the bigger moments is precisly that, cos they are bigger moments. Certain tunes remind me of what i was doing at the time, although not of particular brand names :)

I dont think its reserved to music either. Smell is a far stronger memory sense than hearing for example.

(also, i thought you didnt give a **** what any of us thought ? ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah I have one piece that takes me back to when I was 5 and the thing I have in my minds eye is the wood burner in the kitchen on a very bright sunny morning, the song that does this is Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, by Middle of the Road which was big No1 when I was er 5. Strange thing to think about but there you go...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Hmm... Whenever I hear Crystal Planet by Joe Satriani I'm reminded of the Transformers. Most porbably because of that cheesy 80's guitar-hero soundtrack they had. Brilliant.

Advertisement