Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are DVD players a huge SCAM??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Stephen
    Um, afaik NTSC runs at a higher framerate (30fps, actually) than PAL (25fps), but with a lower resolution image (525 lines), thus PAL has higher quality (625 lines), as the framerate isn't so low as to be noticeable.

Correct on both counts Stephen.

Plus afaik NTSC only changes half the screen, then the other half, back to the first half and so on, making that 30fps an effective 15fps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

OK it anoys me when muppets but dvd players from the big brand names and tell me i believe you can chip them to play american films! Nearlly every cheap dvd player can play multiregion films with an handset hack or with out even doing anything at all! The dont advertise it is all. It became common knowldege that LG players could be multiregion hacked the the price went up 150 yoyos a month later in dixons! By cheap and get better is the rule. I know this doesent normally apaly!

Dont believe that the make of something is important all the time. My father in law is sick he paid 2 times the price for his sony dvd drive and it can only do half the stuff mine can! it wont play vcd, it hasent got as many audio ports and wont play mp3, the list goes on!

look here for info lads before you buy a player....

http://www.dvddebate.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by sceptre
    Correct on both counts Stephen.

Plus afaik NTSC only changes half the screen, then the other half, back to the first half and so on, making that 30fps an effective 15fps.
    Both NTSC and PAL are interlaced - you get 60 or 50 fields (half pictures) per second which works out at 30 or 25 frames per seconds. DVDs tend to be encoded as non-interlaced ("progressive") video because it's more efficient to compress a whole picture at a time rather than two half pictures. It's up to the DVD player to output it as interlaced video for your TV (or leave it progressive if you've got an expensive TV & player).

BTW, in the digital world there's no such thing as PAL or NTSC - those terms refer to the different ways Europe and America chose to squeeze colour information into a monochrome signal back in the 60s. You should refer to it as 525 or 625 line video. Most VCRs that play NTSC tapes don't bother changing the frame rate or resolution, they just change the colour encoding so you end up with a 60Hz 525 line PAL signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Couldnt u effectively hook ure tv up to ure pc and record to a normal dvd writer.. i know some peeps that are doing it with sky for big matches etc... arsenal and man United and putting it on dvdr !!! Didnt really ask the know how put wouldnt it be much cheaper than recorder wise !!!
    That's what it was except Sony and Intel made the PC. It had all the necessary cards and software and made it easy for a novice to do. The set-up you mention would be impossible for a novice to do, Tv-in, capture s/w, dvd drives etc.

Advertisement