Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just cooked....

• 04-12-2002 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

a rather outstanding pie, if I may say so myself. Recipe made on the fly...but I thought I'd share it with you...

(serves 4)

300g chicken breast, cubed
    300g gammon steak, cubed
    300g mushrooms, cut to similar size
    1 large onion, chopped (or, if you can get them, about 100g - 150g "pearl" or "soup" onions - the little ones)

Fry the chicken and gammon in batches (about 2 batches each) in a large pan at high heat, to seal quickly. Remove and set to one side.

Fry mushrooms at medium heat for about 10 mins (to drive out the liquid). Remove and set aside

Saute the onions for about 5 mins, then add back in the chicken, gammon and mushrooms.

Add a large dollop of whole grain mustard, and stir in.
    Add a tblspoon of flour and stir in.
    Add about 150ml of white wine, and about 350ml of chicken stock. (I added a dash of cream here too, but thats cause I needed to use it up. You can leave it out)

Add 2 chopped carrots, a handful of fresh thyme (I leave it on the stalk, and just pick it out later before serving), and salt/pepper to taste.

Allow to *simmer*, uncovered, for about 30 mins.

Thicken with some cornflour if you feel its needed.

Transfer to an ovenable dish, which you have lined with pastry. Cover with a layer of pastry (with a "steam hole" cut into the middle). Brush with some milk or raw egg if you like (for a golden finish)

Bung in the oven at 180 to 200 degrees for about 30 mins, or until the pastry is well cooked.

Serve with mashed spuds.

Yum.

jc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm sitting here in work (starving), and made the mistake of reading that recipe. Cheers, bonkey.... :)

Sounds gorgeous.....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

mmmmm i am gonna cook that sometime soon obvously substituting the meat for Linda McCartney mince

Advertisement