Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2d platformers: it's a difficult relationship

• 04-12-2002 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

i remember being able to complete numerous different platformers so easily years ago, back in the day when you couldn't wait to see what the new background texture would be.
    more specifically i was playing a castlevania rom a while ago and found it really difficult, i do remember getting pretty far in it and in this one i had trouble with the second level. i love the game but i cant figure it out, maybe that 2d platformer skill just curled up and died.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I defy anyone to complete "Underwurlde" by Ultimate Play the Game on the speccy 48K. It was the first home computer game I ever saw- it blew me away and I still can't finish it. A quality exercise in frustration and addiction!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I love a good platformer.... the GBA in recent times has had some classics - - the 2 castlevania games, Marioworld 1 and 2, Metroid Fusion ....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Treebeard

I think it was because we used to set the difficulty level to "very easy" or we just had longer attention spans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

They used to be my favourite platformers, before the revolution of 3d shoot em ups. :)

Playing games such as:
    Mario Bros, Sonic the Hedgehog, Zool, Cool Spot, Flashback, Another World, Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, Secret Agent, Abuse, Lemmings.

the list goes on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Back in the days of the good o'l platformer it was all about addictive repetitive gameplay.

It's still great fun to throw them up on a console emulator and play for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

CastleVania : Symphony of the Night is still probably my second favourite game ever.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Superfurry

You can keep you Metal Slugs and SOTN's, nothing will ever come close to the majesty of Midnight Resistance. I'm currently trying to track down an original arcade cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

Double dragon and all those types of game hehe hours of just doing the same thing over and over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Man, Magic Mushrooms for the Acorn Electron or BBC was my fave, you could even design your own levels :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Mario 3... mmm...

Ooooooooh... GUNSTAR HEROES!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by Gordon
    Man, Magic Mushrooms for the Acorn Electron or BBC was my fave, you could even design your own levels :eek:

Jesus I thought I was the only person in the world that remembered this game.
    It rocked, one of the first games I ever played. I remember if he walked of a height that was too big he would die, and it was usually a small height. Designing levels was cool too.

Jesus I thought I was the only person in the world that remembered this game.

Hell no! I grew up on a diet of Frak!, Chuckie Egg, Banjax, Repton and 'Magic Mushrooms' ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

prince of persia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Mmmmmmmm Mario 3... though I never did finish it until it came with battery back-up on the SNES's All-Stars compilation. Anyone else ever play Plok!, out of interest?

Prince of Persia......That game was a belter! I píssed away hours on my Mac LC trying to kill the guy at the end who was your ghost. And then I sussed it. D'oh!

Originally posted by TheAlmightyArse
    Anyone else ever play Plok!, out of interest?

Yup, still have it too. It's a bit weird though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There is an inverse proportionality that says as you get older you start sucking at those kind platformers :)

Rick Dangerous on the Amiga is my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

prince of persia, ghosts and goblins, final fight, bad dudes versus ninjas and countless dizzy games... ahh the memories :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Did anyone ever finish Jet Set Willy? After the exhillartion of giving manic miner a good doing, i just couldnt beat willy. Someone put me out of my misery 20 years later and tell me what happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Didnt play much jet set willy , played jetpack dan or something similar.

Never played plok unfortunately but Chuckie egg- eggsellent!

• Advertisement

I know a guy who completed Willy. I'll find out for you. (It's something to do with the maid allowing you to go to bed).

The hardest screen is reputedly The Banyan Tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Mmmmmm Plok. Plok had style. And some fantastic music - kinda like Nintendo's traditional stuff, only on an electric guitar. Smashy.

I never remember being good at Rik Dangerous. I mean, you had all of what, 5 lives? Or thereabouts. Did they not know that I sucked at games? I ask you.

My proudest moment in Prince of Persia was making it to the second level. Oh yeah!

And the baby chicken-turkey-things in Chuckie Egg frightened me. They looked like they had leprecy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Hell no! I grew up on a diet of Frak!, Chuckie Egg

Wow. Now theres nostalgia. Chuckie Egg. Had a good look for an rom for this with no joy. Must take the old beeb out one of these days. As for Frak. What a game. Remember my brother turning the TV upside down, to complete it but the controls were the oposite way around. :-)

I think I completed Prince of Persia not sure though.
    I remember you had to fight your shadow in it, that was pretty cool. Oh wait I did finish it, I can vaguely remember the end with the princess unless I'm just thinking of a cut scene.

Advertisement