Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The DSL Battle is hotting up a bit....another provider is coming....via networks!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Of course in the event of any grief VIA could always turn around and say actually no it won't work, and I'd be left on dialup forever. So I'd rather not blow the only chance I have of getting DSL however slim. At least not for now.
    I don't think it would be VIA that would be getting the grief. They have nothing to gain by not selling you ADSL. If, however, Eircom were found to be witholding DSL from customers simply because they have a dominant position, the ComReg could go to the Competition Authority and get it sorted. They can't do anything, though, if nobody complains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

competition?

thats not competition,

too expensive..

make it €30 for 512k and i'll buy into it:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by theciscokid
    make it €30 for 512k and i'll buy into it:rolleyes:

DITO

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

I am only an employee, so am not expert in Margins and such, but why does a Cost Price of €50 NEED to be €100 to be viable when there are virtually no operating costs? I have wondered at the figures quoted for Wholesale Rates from Eircom on many an occasion. I understand that they are multiples of what other Euro countries have, but they are inevitably factored up to the same charge as Eircom, with a "token" €5/mth as evidence of "aggressive head-to-head competition".

If Eircom are robbing us, is it ALL in the service areas covered by the Wholesale Rates? Or are these angelic(?) competitors robbing us also, but €5/mth less?
    Originally posted by SkepticOne
    For that to happen, they would need to have access to the appropriate wholesale bitstream service from Eircom. This does not exist at present.

The lowest priced bitstream service (512k and 24:1 contention ratio) from Eircom costs around 50 euros per month. Adding in bandwidth charges and VAT and taking into consideration that they would be selling very few services, VIA would be forced to charge over 100 euros per month for the retail offering.

Don't expect to see any substantial changes in the DSL market until Eircom reduce their bitstream charges and there is no incentive for them to do so at present since people are throwing money at them for dial-up and ISDN, a source of revenue that would be threatened if there was cheap DSL.

Of course this also excludes UTV from offering similar services as they do in the North.

Any change in this situation will require regulatory action.

Advertisement