Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telecommunications (Retention of Traffic Data) Bill

Options
  • 05-12-2002 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

I have written a letter (e-mail) of protest to the minister for justice expressing my concernes. They have replied but not surprisingly most of it was waffle. I urge people to bombard the minister with e-mails until he will have to recognise the total opposition to this proposed bill. Below is the e-mail address to send your letters and a copy of the reply that they sent me. Please send this address to all of your friend, collegues and family and urge them to write a brief letter of protest.

minister@justice.ie

Dear Mr........

I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Michael
    McDowell, T.D., to refer to your recent e-mail concerning the proposed
    Telecommunications (Retention of Traffic Data) Bill.

This Bill is at an early stage of preparation and, of course, consultations will
    take place with all interested parties before any proposals are finalised. Up
    to recently, licensed operators retained information concerning the use made of
    telecommunication services for, inter alia, the purpose of the prevention or
    detection of crime, for the purpose of criminal proceedings or in the interests
    of the security of the State. Disclosure of the information could only be made
    to the Garda Síochána on written request by a member not below the rank of Chief
    Superintendent. Heretofore, the information was retained for up to 6 years.
    However, as a result of Directive 97/66/EC of the European Parliament and
    Council concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy
    in the telecommunications sector, the Minister for Public Enterprise issued
    Directions as a temporary measure last April, under the Postal and
    Telecommunications Services Act 1983 which provided for the retention of
    information (traffic data) for up to 3 years for the same purposes.

The purpose of the legislation now being prepared is to identify a means of
    placing on a permanent statutory basis, with any necessary safeguards, those
    temporary measures which are currently in operation.

Yours sincerely

Dermot Woods
    Private Secretary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Interesting.

I sent this email to the Minister.
    To whom it may concern.

I must say that the current plans for the Data Retention Bill are in fact
    contrary to the claims by the Minister for Justice, actually Orwellian.
    This State is proposing to catalog the transaction of every piece of
    telecommunication pertaining to the public for some amorphous and etheral
    'potential' threat.
    What any oxymoron of logic that is. Why should I as a citizen have the State
    snoop my communication activities? I have commited no Crime and do not pose
    a danger to the public at large, yet still this State proposes to catalog my
    activities as if I were a criminal.

I do not accept the argument that an innocent person has nothing to hide,
    privacy and the right to live a lawful and if one wishes obscure life in
    this State is compromised by this piece of legislation.
    I do not accept the argument that a Garda is the appropiate person to decide
    whether or not information pertaining to what may be very private matters is
    to be made accessable during detection or prevention of crime.
    I am shocked that the civil rights that Ireland has fought so hard for, can
    so easily be abrogated by those who consider themselves duly qualified in
    the matter. There was no mention of this impending bill that gives the State
    rights to snoop inter-personal telecommunications in the election manifesto
    of the pertinent parties of power, therefore I feel this ammendum is a
    dishonest post-electoral nightmare, precipitated by international paranoia
    vis-a-vis 'terrorism' and that this new data retention Bill is a draconian
    and quasi-authoritarian piece of legislation and unless the Minister or the
    Department can offer sufficient recompense to defend it's merits, I will be
    pushing for formation of an action group to resist enunciation of this bill
    through the houses of the Dial.

Regards
    Brian O'Donoghue

I doubt very much if I will get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

It took a few days to get a reply. I reckon people should bombard them with letter of objection so that they actually get the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Dear Mr. O'Donoghue

I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Mr. Michael
    McDowell, T.D., to refer to your recent e-mail concerning the proposed
    Telecommunications (Retention of Traffic Data) Bill.

Section 98 of the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act 1983, as amended,
    provides for the disclosure of information concerning the use made of
    telecommunications services for the purpose of the prevention or detection of
    crime or in the interests of the security of the State. Such information was
    held by licensed operators for a period of six years or so for billing purposes.

The implementation of Directive 97/66/EC of the European Parliament and Council
    concerning the processing of personal data and the protection of privacy in the
    telecommunications sector provides for the erasure of certain telecommunications
    data. This provision may be restricted to safeguard certain objectives, such as
    national security, public security and the prevention, investigation, detection
    and prosecution of criminal offences.

Earlier this year, the Government decided that legislation should be drafted
    requiring licensed operators to retain information concerning the use made of
    telecommunications services provided by them for a period of three years. As a
    interim measure the Government also decided that the Minister of Public
    Enterprise should issue Directions under Section 110(1) of the Postal and
    Telecommunications Services Act 1983, as amended, requiring such retention.

The legislation mentioned above is currently being prepared in this Department
    in order to place on a permanent statutory basis, with any necessary
    safeguards, those temporary measures which are currently in operation.

Yours sincerely

Ursula Dunne
    Criminal Law Reform Division
    Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform
    72/76 St. Stephens Green
    Dublin 2

"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
    addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
    retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
    upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
    prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
    material from any computer. It is the policy of the Department of Justice, Equality and
    Law Reform to disallow the sending of offensive material and should you consider
    that the material contained in this message is offensive you should contact the
    sender immediately and also mailminder@justice.ie".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

LOL
    The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
    addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review,
    retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance
    upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
    prohibited.

• Advertisement

Hmm, I doubt it is legal to try and prevent me from sharing converse I have had with an elected representative somehow.

That message is probably only included to stop people from snooping the email, ironically enough.

Advertisement