Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advertising question.

• 05-12-2002 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

I use boards quite a bit but I have only once followed a link to an advertised site, was GameIre (sp ?) as it happens, none of the others caught my interest. (Make that two, just visited BlackKnight)

Anyway what I was wondering is whether the revenue from advertisements that boards take on is increased by visiting through these links.

Also does our visiting of other sites through these links increase the likelihood that boards would get more advertising interest, thus increasing revenue which could be spent on xyz and beer ?

Thanks,

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually we get no more from the advertisers if there are hundreds of click-throughs, we only sell advertising space.

If you think of other advertising mediums (tv, paper, radio) none of them operate on how many people they bring you, only on the exposure you get. I'm not taking a hit on my revenue for boards because an advertiser designs a crap ad that noone wants to click on...

In general we charge around 1 euro per 1000 ad impressions and all the money goes into the boards kitty, the admins have yet to see a penny of it. Advertising keeps the server going and things generally ticking over... We're hoping the supporters packs will bring us to the next step of internet-based community...
    Its going to be an interesting year...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The way I look at them is that they are another stream of information that I may or may not want.

So long as they stay (and operate!) where they are supposed to be, I dont mind. If I see something I'm curious/interested in I'll follow it like any other link on the site.

"Dirt" is matter in the wrong place.
    "Spam" is information in the wrong place.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

One thing to remember though is that alot of serious advertisers will have tracking and will cacluate the conversion rate so click if lots of people click on the ads then there will be a low click-through rate which makes the advertising less worhtwhile.

From what Dev's said, and the types of ads that are on boards.ie, it looks as if that won't really apply for the moment though.

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

damn so my 2500 clicks on UTVip one night in work was all for nothing :(

kdjaC

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by DeVore
    Actually we get no more from the advertisers if there are hundreds of click-throughs, we only sell advertising space.

I think thats the right way, pay for so many people who will see the ad not for who clicks it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Talking to a friend who was also aranging click-thru ad's for a site was interesting.

He said that a lot of companies when offered a "flat rate" and a "per click-thru rate" preferred the flat rate option, even though he thinks they'd pay less overall on the second option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

UNderstandably so I thikn on the flat-rate over click throughs Leeroy. Shirts in my experience rather being able to say it will cost X than saying it could cost X*Z. As such putting a cap on the amount of funds that they will fork out.

Think that has suitably answered my question.

BTW when I mentioned beer, (did I say it loud enuff) I was not implying that the Admins are out getting toasted on boards advertising revenue, rather that they probably should ;).

Thanks,

M

Advertisement