Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For Sale Board Needs a Shake up!!! Here are my ideas

• 05-12-2002 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭

The For sale board needs a shake up. People are posting things that "might" be For Sale. This is wrong and clearly should be stopped. The mods clearly are not stopping this type of thing.

I think also that perhaps some kind of rating should be brought in to rate people as to how sales went etc.

People bidding for items can bid in many different ways and it could be so much easier to control etc.

There should be closing times on sales so people have an idea when they need to have the money by.

This will allow people to increase the bid just before the sales closes.

Also people who are selling should try to be online at the time of the sale closing.

These are my ideas.What do other people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

isn't that called ebay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I think its fine
    yes people are selling things that are dont end up for sale

but then again if your looking for €300 for it and your highest bid is €200, why should you sell??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The current version of VBB probably wouldn't support ratings for the board.

Sabotage would abound with ratings anyway.

It's a casual sales board ... and I think it's grand as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What an utterly stupid idea.

I don't see anything wrong with posting things that "might" be for sale. If you have a PC that you can sell, but want to check for demand first, what is wrong with that?

A lot of people here sell things because they're replacing them, or need to fund PC upgrades :-) If you can't plan ahead, you can't sell. Stop being so damn harsh.

So long as someone doesn't deliberately give the impression that they're selling something they'll withdraw it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think that even that is alright Leeroy, even on ebid, which is what geo is kinda proposing, you can pull out of an auction by upping the reserve price at any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i am not propsoing boards.ie sign a partnership with ebay. but more of a tighten up of the rules in ther for sale board.

How about if someone was wanting to test the water for a sale.How about an Expression of Interest Title to these sort of posts.

This would let the seller see how much people were willing to spend on a product.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Originally posted by irishgeo
    The For sale board needs a shake up. People are posting things that "might" be For Sale. This is wrong and clearly should be stopped. The mods clearly are not stopping this type of thing.

Maybe thats because the mods don't feel theres anything wrong with 'this type of thing'. (reminds me of Fr. Ted's 'down with this type of thing!')

Even if there was anything wrong with it, it would be a nightmare to police, we have enough muppets to deal with as it is.

Think about it, if we were to ban all 'might be for sale' ads, people who are only willing to sell something if they're offered a certain price will not specify that in their initial posts like they're doing at the moment. Would you rather they made out it's for sale and then backed out at the last minute with some bull$hit excuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i dont think the system is very fair at the moment thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

more barting, or swapping... or a barter board? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

i dont think the system is very fair at the moment thats all.

Whats that supposed to mean? Very fair?

Its a for sale board not a playground with a teacher to hold your hand or a court of law!!

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, its not fay-er, that bad man said he's sell me something and now he wont, wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Is that what you mean? Are you for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

TBH I think its a very good system (more so if your a buyer than seller). But I think a rating system for buyers and sellers would be good. That way you have less chance of getting ripped off (buyer or seller). Dont know how difficult it would be to implement something like that though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

For Sale Board is great...im with irishgeo on this*I did say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

A rating system would be good but as was said it could be open to abuse.

Could it be possible to set it up so that when a sale goes ahead without any problems, the seller/buyer could send a PM to one of the mods saying "[person] is a good trader" and the mod up's the rating by a point or something?

More work for mods, but hey... thats what theyre not getting paid for :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Like Karma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Whats wrong with this? I have no problem with ppl testing the water aslong as they advertise it as such.

I think also that perhaps some kind of rating should be brought in to rate people as to how sales went etc.

How does BuyandSell rate ppl or you local newspaper classifieds. There is no need for a rating service. It is a community board, and ppl will generally get to know ppl over time. The only reason you would need a rating system would be if ppl only came to boards to buy and sell stuff. If you really want a rating system go to eBay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I think that ebay is what you're looking for. I've bought on For Sale withpout problems. What you seem to want is not something I would like. Frankly.. I was goning to continue, but I think you get my drift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

There are two options -
    • We can wait for VB3 which has Karma built in (I believe)
    • We can add a PHPAuction part to the site

Let's wait and see what VB3 has to offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Interestingly OcUK have strict rules for selling on their forums. I don't agree with them entirely but theres some merit in them. They have a nightmare in admin'ing them too. Heres the rules.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&threadid=18150

food for thought maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Interestingly OcUK have strict rules for selling on their forums. I don't agree with them entirely but theres some merit in them. They have a nightmare in admin'ing them too. Heres the rules.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&threadid=18150

food for thought maybe?

i think there should be a ban on anyone i dont know, and half the people i do know.
    in fact, can you spread that across the entire site please.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i think there should be a ban on anyone i dont know, and half the people i do know.
    in fact, can you spread that across the entire site please.

Hmmm...Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to ur newletter

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

personally i think that it works ok

as for wondering about the people who you are buying off. their post count is an ok indicator of their standing on boards, and as we have seen recently. If the sale doesn't work out then you can always hunt them down(irish ranger i believe-though everything was sorted out in the end)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

boards.ie sign a partnership with ebay

i heartilly endorse this product/service

If you want to auction stuff off theres always eBAY, eBid, etc.

I prefer the more *casual* system here where you can throw something in and see if it delivers a decent price.

Also, people "generally" don't get shafted pricewise here because of all the complaining muppets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

now there's an idea....how about the mods do something about the 'complaining muppets' ?
    Right now that's the only problem I see on the forum right now.

I've been buying and selling online since about 1994 and only on Compuserve and boards.ie have I ever had downright adolescent replies to for-sale posts.

Fortunately the few purchases and sales I've made have been worth it but I've been surprised at the amount of smart-arsed replies about prices and whether to use one thread for dozens of items or a handful of threads organized by item type. The PMs I've received are beneath contempt.

My suggestion : once a listing is put up then the thread is automatically closed and can only be edited/removed by the person who started the 'thread' (I guess it's hardly a thread with only one post....but you know what I mean). Any deals are done through PM.
    And finally - when the item(s) is/are sold then the seller should remove the posting from the forum.

Would make it a lot easier if people had to post a price. Its people who don't post a price that start a haggling war on their threads. Its a bit like those small ads in papers that don't post prices. Waste of everyones time.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Would make it a lot easier if people had to post a price. Its people who don't post a price that start a haggling war on their threads. Its a bit like those small ads in papers that don't post prices. Waste of everyones time.

ppl are supposed to post a price

Originally posted by Keeks
    ppl are supposed to post a price

Have to vs supposed to. A Conundrum indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

People bidding for items can bid in many different ways and it could be so much easier to control etc.

There should be closing times on sales so people have an idea when they need to have the money by.

This will allow people to increase the bid just before the sales closes.

Also people who are selling should try to be online at the time of the sale closing.

Can be done with realy expansive software and lots of man power.

Easiest thing ... ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    If you want to auction stuff off theres always eBAY, eBid, etc.

I prefer the more *casual* system here where you can throw something in and see if it delivers a decent price.

Also, people "generally" don't get shafted pricewise here because of all the complaining muppets ;)

What leeroy has been saying is right but I would like to see people that fail to deliver on promises, sales etc., or even scam people be watched or prosicuted(even).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I agree with leeroybrown and dempseyt. It isn't ebay, it's a discussion board where people are free to deal in whatever manner they want once they abide by the rules. It's not exactly on par with ebay or the buy and sell as regards the amount of stuff going through it so it hardly warrants a major overhaul.
    now there's an idea....how about the mods do something about the 'complaining muppets' ?
    Right now that's the only problem I see on the forum right now

My suggestion : once a listing is put up then the thread is automatically closed and....................

shabbyroad the idea of closing off a discussion forum and dealing in private kinda defeats the purpose don't you think?! People throw out feelers, offer to swap goods and chance their arm with prices etc. throughout the threads and AFAIK that was the whole idea in the first place. Of course theres muppets but usually people report them to us and we act in whatever way we feel is appropriate. I don't recall you ever reporting anyone so I don't see what your getting smart about.

I've had people on one side telling me I don't ban enough people and people on the other telling me to go easy on the bans. I think I've banned about 5 usernames/people in total from the for sale boards. I use the word 'usernames' because most of them were accounts set up with the sole intention of spamming us with commercial ads (cd_ireland type names with 1 post count). I've no problem banning someone if they've really messed around another user and ran off with their cash or something but I think you are all exaggerating here because there was only 1 user already mentioned on this thread whos actually done anything like that and even that was sorted out in the end!

If a deal simply falls through it's not our fault and it hardly merits a banning. The board is there as a tool for people to talk to each other and it's up to the users to suss out how genuine the person they're dealing with is. Buyer beware! If you feel someone is really taking the pi$$ then please report it to us instead of coming here whining about it.

Thanks for listening and Merry Christmas all!
    Blade

Advertisement