Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Steven Erikson book out

Options
  • 05-12-2002 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Steven Erikson's new book, House of Chains is out today (finally!). I went down to Waterstones today (Cork) and they had it. Unfortunately they only have the hardback version which retails at around 30 euros, and being a poor student I'll have to turn a few tricks down at the docks before I can afford that :(
    Anyone got it/read it?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No, afraid not, but I did read the first book in the Malazan cycle: Gardens of the Moon, and was not too impressed. Trying too hard to be a Stephen Donaldson IMHO. Well perhaps the series progressed a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Im not sure how you can say Erikson is trying to be like Donaldson, other than having the same first name and end of surname.

The three Malazan books to date have been incredible, IMHO. Erikson has shied away from all the traditional fantasy "staples" and created a new world, with his own types of creatures and a magic system which is utterly unlike anything I've read about before.

One thing I've loved about his books is that he has never appeared to feel the need to explain things as background. Things eventually become clear (like how Quick Ben is so damned powerful, or even how the magic system works), but only because the information is part of the current story.

I've been waiting for this book since reading Memories of Ice. Time to go visit my only local bookstore and see what price they can offer me. Or maybe Amazon.

Now if only George RR Martin would get the thumb out and release his fourth book.....

jc

Advertisement