Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dcmnr Online Forum Re Policy Direction To Comreg

Options
  • 06-12-2002 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Dept of Communications seem to have an online forum up and running on the draft Policy Driection to the ComReg.

Useful place to put your thoughts...........

its at www.dcmnr.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Great. Everyone should post their views on that forum if they care about the direction the Government is taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

That forum is here.

And I'm stickying this for a wee while (few days at least just so people notice) - an opportunity like this doesn't come along every day (thanks for letting us all know Jim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Great. Everyone should post their views on that forum if they care about the direction the Government is taking.

Email the membership and tell them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Everyone should post their views on that forum
    that is whenever they get it to work properly.

We've our recent response to the Dep of Comm's call for views on their Internet strategy now as a pdf file on www.eircomtribunal.com.

Peter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Peter, that's an absolutely fabulous document. I'm going to be printing that out and sending it myself with a cover note saying, effectively, "What he said." I trust that will be ok with you?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Well done Peter,

I am going to write as well and offer my support for your submission.

Valentia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JimHacker

Sunday morning -Just checked on DCMNR website - only TWO postings on the Online Forum on the Policy Direction.

I thought we wanted people to know that we were INTERESTED in getting FRIACO?

EIRCOMTRIBUNAl -
    whileI have you there I'd like to ask a question - someone told me the other night (in the pub ono less) that eircomtribunal.com is funded by ESAT BT - is this so - have they EVER donated/funded/advised you?

Just wondering - considering they're as bad as the rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jim, somehow I doubt it's funded in any way, shape or form by any telco.

Read that et.com report a few days ago, been waiting for a chance to say how bloody good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

when i open the .pdf it says the viewer cannot decrypt this document
    iv downloaded it a few times and no luck am i the only one having this problem?

• Advertisement

Yea actually, using Acrobat 4.0 I get that error.

Think I viewed it with v5.x when I read it. Try getting new version if you haven't already?

Hope they don't have any problems opening it :\

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by JimHacker
    Sunday morning -Just checked on DCMNR website - only TWO postings on the Online Forum on the Policy Direction.

I thought we wanted people to know that we were INTERESTED in getting FRIACO?

People might be worried of opening their mouths and saying something that'd set us back... at least I am :)

What could I say that people who are actually up to date and educated will not say better?

zynaps

Great work on eircomtribunal's response :)
    It is absolutely clear from all international
    experience that the problem of broadband is not a lack of demand but a lack of supply.
    Do not ask the blind to lead the blind! Chinese proverb

zynaps

I completely agree with Adam here, the Eircom Tribunal reply should be printed and signed by everyone and posted to the powers that be.

A brilliant document. Again I have to ask why IrelandOffline isn't doing something like this.

Charts, diagrams, pictures, simple analogies.... Brilliant !

Damien

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by zynaps
    People might be worried of opening their mouths and saying something that'd set us back... at least I am :)

What could I say that people who are actually up to date and educated will not say better?

zynaps
    The more people who add their support the better, IMHO the wide range of inputs into this forum - both positive and negative - have played a major role in the impact of IOFFL.

The more debate there is in as many different places as possible, the more it gives the lie to Eircom's claims about lack of interest in Internet access.

I understand that the fact that it is a government site could make it a bit intimidating for some people, and we certainly want to be even more careful than usual about our 'netiquette' , avoiding flame wars, bad language, Off Topic issues, etc .

If you think that points have already been expressed well there, why not just post a short message supporting them ?

Martin Harran

I agree. It is giving a false impression to the Department if people, especially the mass who participate here, don't have their say on the Forum.

Would you blame them for thinking that there is very little interest in the subject if the response is low. Com'on gang get involved.

Yep, let them know what you think but try to type it legibly :]

Didn't I?

Oops, sorry, didn't intend that for you, I just meant for people not to get too carried away and start rants on the DCMNR board. That won't help anyone :]

I knew I had a few typos on my submission. Just wondered. NP :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I've added my support in the EircomTribunal submission thread on the DCMNR website. I feel better for having done something constructive for "the cause". I Hope the moderators here and people behind EircomTribunal approve of what I have said. I was concious that there is the possibility of saying something which may not further our aims, and I would guess that alot of other people are put off posting there for the same reason. With that in mind, if there are any objections to anything I have said I will consider revising my post. However, I see it as more or less a petition where the more names added, the more weight it will be seen to carry.

I added my support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Very good posts there Valentia and ColinM - coherent and reasoned :)

Also added my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭timod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

another great post, good work timod.

An important point I just noticed.

The eircomtribunal submission on the DCMNR website is a submission to the DCMNR Statement of Strategy NOT the Policy Direction.

They'll need to do one for the Policy Direction seperately - they are two VERY seperate things - I presume one cannot be taken into account for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I just meant for people not to get too carried away and start rants on the DCMNR board. That won't help anyone

Well I always think of this board as somewhere you can say the sort of things you might say in the pub after a pint or two

however I feel that posting on the DCMNR board because its a govt site is more like a court appearance, you watch your language, wear a suit etc

tired now - must sleep (keels over into pool of stout)

It would appear that DCMNR board is a bit of a sham. Probably put up by the site admin or something, the people in the DCMNR probably don't even know about it and even if they did they wouldn't give a damn because it's on the evil internet.

I'm disapointed, I thought it could have been a very valuable source of info for them and us.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by PiE
    It would appear that DCMNR board is a bit of a sham

Seems so (at least there's no evidence to the contrary)

Started a topic there asking that very question (or rather ripping off your comment above):)

If they don't reply, it's reasonable evidence that they don't read it. If they don't read it, it's there as a pure PR stunt (or dampening exercise) which I for one would be happy to highlight wherever possible.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they intend it to be a discussion board purely for the public to argue amongst themselves, which they won't pay attention to?

If so, we've already got that, except with more attention, here :)

zynaps

Advertisement