Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD weirdness

• 06-12-2002 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi I recenty got a new DVD - I had an old one

now my old one runs plays dvd's on pretty much any dvd software I have.

my new one -nec - wont play (correctly) on win dvd 4, it looks like it plays in slow motion. It also played in slow mo, using another package i had-can't remember name sorry.

but if I use the software that came with it - windvd 2000 - it works fine.

is this just a software thing
    or could it be PIO/DMA stuff??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by hussey

or could it be PIO/DMA stuff??

thats the first thing that i would have suggested till you said it plays fine with the other software

id still check it out tho - last time i replaced my burner and added more hard drives i had PIO/DMA woes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Can someone explain this whole PIO/DMA business to me? Last time I checked , whenever I try to access anything from my DVD drive..my CPU just gets raped completley. I tried switching over to DMA, but it fails to do anything..

PIO is teh loose yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

PIO = Pants, yes.

PIO stands for Processed I/O - i.e. your CPU is used when accessing your drives and stuff.
    DMA (Direct Memory Access) allows the hardware to work without having to use your CPU so much. If you can change everything to use DMA, do it. If you can't, you should try downloading new drivers for your motherboard's chipset. (eg 4-in-1's for VIA boards). Also, some CDROM/CDRW drives might need a jumper changed at the back to enable DMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

oh yes its worse than pair of tracksuit bottoms.

for some strange reason after a few months of running win2k and now xp my dvd and cdrw they always turn to pio mode and cant be switched back to dma. then whenever any cd access happens the cpu shoots up to 100% and everything stops. any sound being played turns to a rather high pitched screech.

its evil.

Advertisement