Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL momdem recommendations

Options
  • 06-12-2002 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has any experience/advise on an ADSL modem for IStream?

I'm not proud of having to get I-Stream (and knowing my luck probably wont be able to, despite passing prequal), but such is life.

I need an ethernet modem (or a pci one that defo works with Linux/SmoothWall). Or, should I just fork out the E270 +VAT to eircom (at least it will be supported then)?

Any recommendations?

cheers
    .cg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

head on over to http://www.marx-computers.com/ and you wil lget an adsl modem/router with 4 ports for €185 incl vat or a pci ADSL modem for €93 incl vat with linux support, not sure what the chipset is so dont know if it will work with smoothwall. Whatever you do dont pay the full 270!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I'll sell you the eircom one for a lot less than they will - make me an offer - it's boxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by cgarvey
    I need an ethernet modem (or a pci one that defo works with Linux/SmoothWall). Or, should I just fork out the E270 +VAT to eircom (at least it will be supported then)?

Are you sure you have a choice? AFAIK they are still obliging you to buy one, though this may change

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by De Rebel
    Are you sure you have a choice? AFAIK they are still obliging you to buy one, though this may change

You can buy your own equipment now.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    You can buy your own equipment now.

When did the change get announced? any idea why? Was there an anti competitive challenge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by De Rebel
    When did the change get announced? any idea why? Was there an anti competitive challenge?

You've been able to get your own gear for a while now. Don't know how long exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

7 months ago when I applied for it in a different location, I clarified that I could get my own equipment, and they said yes. I didn't realise that they were forcing their own equipment, I just thought they weren't going to support 3rd party gear (which is fair enough). Having said that, it sounds eirconish to force their own equipment!

Cheers for the tips BTW

.cg

As of last Friday one of their ppls, a supervisor, answered quite categorically that the equipment came from Eircom, no choice. And my question was quite specific.

Groan, yet again they don't know what they are at or at least the staff briefing is typically poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....its a cast iron COMREG complaint

They found against Eircom months ago on the equipment....it had summat to do with Linux as it happens.

Now their management is back misleading people again.MOST serious.

ISTR it was someone on the Irish Linux User Group who complained and was upheld by the ODTR

Dabs.COM are doing a wireless adsl modem and router (wireless at your end not to the RAT) for c. UK170 incl VAT and delivery. They have what you want for about UK70 incl delivery I think.

One of them Wireless jobbies and a new Tosh Satellite Laptop would give a new meaning to reading on the crapper so it would :D

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

lol chaps , don't pay more than £50 sterling for any ADSL router , head on over to www.ebay.co.uk and pick up some nice bargains!

• Advertisement
Advertisement