Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a smaller sky dish

• 06-12-2002 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Was up by ballymun yesterday and from looking at the flats which is like a shrine to sky what with the amount of dishes it has.I could be going mad but out of all of them some person half way up had what I can only presume was a sky dish(same shape/colour)but was about 20-30% smaller than the others.Anyone else notice these around or am I living in my own little fantasy world.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

"these [cows] are small, but the ones out there are far away. Small.....far away!"

:D

No, seriously, in the south of England, the 60cm dishes are standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by DMC
    "these [cows] are small, but the ones out there are far away. Small.....far away!"

I heartily endorse this sarcasm and/or remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

<<Pedant mode>>

Ya we and the North Scots get *BIG* minidishes. I thought the English only got 45cm.

For solid West Cork/ Kerry/ Limerick/Clare / Galway/Mayo/Sligo/Donegal rain 80cm is better :D

I'm happy with 3 old 80/90 dishes for the 2 x Digiboxes and one of the PC LNBs.

I reckon folks in Ireland with UK "mini" MiniDishes get artifacts and freezing more often in bad weather. Bet it is a mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

the small ones are now standard around the south east!!

Money grabbing accountants. Seen a bunch of smaller ones near Raheen/Dooradoyle Limerick. Or an alleged "Chorus" plot :D to make Sky service look a poor as some other services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Im using a 2.1 metre dish and when it rains hard you can still see fck all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Sky usually supply 60cm dishes to Ireland, though the 45cm ones work fine too, even in rain (the ones I've set up anyway!). :)

Brendan

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yea, although I use a Zone2 (60cm) minidish, I also have a Zone1 minidish (45cm) and although I can get signal, there aren't as good signal levels as the Zone2 so I threw the Zone1 in the shed out of my way!

There is only one channel that annoys me when it's raining and that's Home and Leisure +1. It breaks up quite a bit. I have heard that there are issues with this channel on Panasonics but I don't believe that for a second... We do have a DECT phone too. Is the tp used by H&L+1 the one affected by DECT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 driver1

I use a 60 cm dish for sky and a 40cm dish for my FTV box. The 40 cm is less affected by rain than the 60cm (Probably better alligned). The 40cm dish works perfectly for all channels and I live in rainy Donegal

The only time I lost Sky on my 80/90cm was for a minute or two and the rain was so hard it had gone dark near mid-day.

You get a bit of pixellation when gusts in very bad gale hit the 90cm dishs. Need stronger pole? Only a few seconds once or twice a year. Lucky if you *HAVE* electricity here when it is that windy.

I've had more outages on Analog from Woodcock hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Originally posted by irishbyte
    There is only one channel that annoys me when it's raining and that's Home and Leisure +1. It breaks up quite a bit. I have heard that there are issues with this channel on Panasonics but I don't believe that for a second... We do have a DECT phone too. Is the tp used by H&L+1 the one affected by DECT?

We got a DECT phone a few months ago and it often affected any channel on 11.662GHz from Eurobird - the home of BEN, Setanta, Abu Dubai and other low budget channels! A recently newly laid cable run from the dish to the receiver cured the problem - the old cable run had a join in it that was connected together using F connectors.

Advertisement