Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard Connections

• 06-12-2002 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a new case and want to clear the confusion. Its a LEO-6063, www.codegenworld.com/product/product.asp?name=LEO-6063&style=2. The cables coming from the Power button, Reset, Hard Drive Light etc, are seperates, Dell PC's would have these in a nice neat ribbon cable, easy to connect, simple.

The wires in questions are the RESET SW, M/B SW, H.D.D. LED and Speaker. What way are they connected. I see a place for them but I want to be sure rather than connect them wrong way round or something.

The web site isn't much help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

The wires in questions are the RESET SW, M/B SW, H.D.D. LED and Speaker. What way are they connected. I see a place for them but I want to be sure rather than connect them wrong way round or something.

For the reset SWitches it doesn't matter which way round - all they do is break the circut.

LED's however have to be connected the right way round.
    RED (sometimes white) = Positive = +
    Black = Negitive = -

Speakers don't matter either but there is usually a preferred polarity see colours above.

BTW if it's a Dell motherboard going into a standard ATX case then BE VERY CAREFUL - Not only will it require soldering (usually) the case connectors onto the Dell custom panel but
    DELL MOTHERBOARDS ARE NOT STANDARD ATX - pluging a standard PSU (power supply) into them makes a big flash, lots of smoke and a hole in your wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No its a gateway mobo is that standard ATX? I think one of the reset pins is broke as there is only one pin

Gateway usually (passe compose) use Intel motherboards - should be no problems - but have a look see if the connectors are marked on the mother board.

b

What about the reset pins shouldn't there be two, I have only one and a hole below it, I think there should be a pin there?

And the HDD LED has the positive marked orange and the negetive marked white, weird.

I think one of the reset pins is broke as there is only one pin

From experience it's unlikely that the pin has broken off - they tend to bend quite a number of times before that happens.

The only connection you actuall HAVE to make is the power(Big colourdy one) and power on switch (in your case M/B SW it think, though there no harm in trying - it'll work or it won't) - The reset and speaker , while handy are not necessary.

b

• Advertisement

And the HDD LED has the positive marked orange and the negetive marked white, weird.

Not a problem - get the power working and worry bout the rest later - the HD led has a resistor built in circut so no damage is caused when it's pulgged in the wrong way. Besides an led will cost about 7cent in peats...

Nope, nothing happens. I tried swapping around the M/B SW but nothing happens, what could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

If you can find out which mobo it is you should be able to google for a manual and get the exact pinout...

I recently had a similar problem and had to put new connectors on the case leads to get all the connections to fit on the mobo...
    some mobos have gaps in the pins that appear to be broken off but its intentional. the next one over or on the row above may be the second pin you are looking for....

I'm not thinking straigt today...
    If you can find out which mobo it is you should be able to google for a manual and get the exact pinout...
    Yep - try this

b

I have found the web page, http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/4000510/400051002.shtml , but I can't make heads or tails of the explanation for the H.D.D. LED and Speaker leads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'll have a look at home this evening and see if I made a note of the order the wires were in going onto that board.
    I can't remeber off hand what the connections were but I posted a reply to another guy on the tech board under the heading "LED connections" that may give you some clues.

I don't think the speaker connects cos it beeps anyway, and the hard drive one I think I might have it upsidedown or something, but its running fine

Advertisement