Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD drive causing delays

• 07-12-2002 7:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Whenever my CD drive has to spin up to speed to read a CD (if i open windows explorer for the first time after booting, for example, or copying things from CD, of course) it hangs my whole computer for maybe 3 seconds. Once the drive is spinning and doing things, it's fine, but if i leave it alone for about 10 seconds, it slows down again, necessitating another system hang if it then needs something else from the CD.

Is this a problem with my kit, do other people experience this, and is there a solution?

The relevant stuff i'm using are as follows:
    Asus CD-S400 40x CD drive
    Abit KT7A-RAID
    WinMe (this problem has happened on 98, 98SE and XP as well)

To be honest, for all i use my drive, i much preferred when i had a 2 speed or 4 speed drive that spun up instantly :/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I had a simular problem before with my harddrive. I had 4 IDE devices - IDE 1 CDRW and HD 1 - IDE 2 CDROM and HD 2. Whenever I was transferig infomation from HD 2 to HD 1 my PC would freeze every 3 secs for 1 sec. I changed the IDE config to IDE 1 - HD 1 and HD 2 - IDE 2 CDRW and CDROM.

Try changing around your IDE devices. Also make sure your devices are terminated properly (master/slave). If this doesnt fix it try buying a new IDE cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Yeah, i'd heard before to keep the fast drives together and the slow drives together.

IDE1 = CDROM + ZIP100
    but my hard drive is on the built-in RAID controller on the mobo, cos apparently they're better controllers than regular IDE and hence faster even if there's still only one drive on 'em.

I have some IDE cables lying around, so i'll try changing it later, but i'm skeptical :/

Advertisement