Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

• 07-12-2002 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

ok well heres my problem, i have whats on ancient pc now, its an AMD K6-2 533Mhz, 512mb RAM, and i have an 8gb and a 20gb drive in there, a dvd rom and a cdrw. I have a zip 100 external drive. I dont want to chuck that stuff. What new mobo+cpu and stuff to get? id like to keep it simple and not rip apart things too much. My budget is up to €500 but id like to go lower with that, and something easy to put together, thanks

Ruu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

You would have to kick the RAM .I would get an 1800XP with an nForce board and some nice 3200RAM 2*256 to get the Dual DDR benefits from the nForce .Altho i don't know if it give's all that much performance increase with the dual DDR that should come to 500 when you by the heatsink.
    If that was too dear you drop the nForce and the 3200 RAM and get a VIA333 board and some 2700RAM (1*512) and save some cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

what bout the Gigabyte 7ZXE AMD Duron / Athlon / Athlon XP Upgrade Kit on peats.ie its 291 euro. is that any good to me, even if i didnt want a top system im sure it'd be ok, or are there problems with it? BTW whats heatsink anyway? is it the piece of metal ontop of the processor chip (dummy Ruu) :)

thanks

Yeah the heatsink is the lump of metal which is on the chip .
    You would be better of with DDR ram especially when you are getting a good chip like the 1900 also 128 isn't that much RAM these days i would recommend 256 especially if you want to use windows XP.
    Komplett do a good bundle with a 2000XP, motherboard, heatsink and 256MB's DDR RAM for €319.
    I think it is worth paying the extra bit for.

excellent, i think i may go for the Komplett one :) thanks

Forgot to mention Ruu you will need to get a new power supply with that .You will need at least a 300Watt one .
    Also what type of graphics card have you got.

• Advertisement

oh i have a power unit. I'll have to get a new graphics card cos the yoke i have is on-board, wont i need a dvd decoder or something for the dvd rom?

Advertisement