Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My new setup! opinions?

Options
  • 07-12-2002 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

FINALLY got my new rig:
    kept my old case and whateva was in it got these new items:
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD Mainboard
    AMD Athlon XP2400+ (thoroughbred) 2.0ghz 266mhz bus
    512 pc2700 DDR RAM
    Creative 3DBlaster Geforce 4 Ti4600 128mb DDR (AGP)
    Q-Tec PSU ATX 400W Dual Fan
    GlobalWin CPU-Fan Socket Socket A CDK64
    CA Power Cable Y-Cable 2x5,25" (:D)

whaddya all think? i probably would have gone the radeon 9700 pro route but i had a budget to stick to....
    anyway i plan to only upagrade the ram and grfx card in the within next year....at the rate of cpu's and whatnot will this rig hold up? and i'd prob overclock but i dont know how to so i'll stick with the vanilla settings :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭halfab

Nice rig..
    Excellent choice on the motherboard there..
    Overclocking should prove very easy with the next bios upgrade for that board..

I have the same setup here
    A7N8X, 2400+ , and the 9700 Pro but with the A7N8X running at 200Mhz FSB.. (CPU set to x10 multiplier)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

That should be a nice setup to overclock Aragorn as the cpu is unlocked on that board.
    halfab what is the max fsb that board will do as i was looking at it or the abit one .

Well I can confirm that my board will run 200Mhz FSB reliably .. with a 2400+ .
    So far it has run 36Hrs Prime95 with UT benchmarking and 3DMarking.. without a single hicup... Now thats Impressive.
    XPSP1 was also installed when the machine was running at that speed.

What RAM have you got with that system

Two Mushkin PC3200 256MB sticks, also have 2 x OCZ 256MB PC3500 sticks.. both work equally well.

9700 Pro, and Antec 350W PSU,Seagate Baracuda IV 40Gig, and Pioneer 106s.

Drivers:
    Latest nForce2 Driver set from ASUS .
    Audio driver 3.11 (WHQL'd)
    Audio utilities 3.07
    Network driver 2.81 (WHQL'd)
    GART driver 2.78 (WHQL'd)
    SMBus driver 2.75 (WHQL'd)
    Memory controller driver 2.75 (WHQL'd)
    IDE driver 2.70 In The Box (WHQL'd)
    IDE driver 3.07 Full Driver
    Installer 3.11

Catalyst 2.4 Set from ATI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

That should be a nice setup to overclock Aragorn as the cpu is unlocked on that board.

Does that mean no putting solder or grease in connections etc on the Athlon Chip?

Oh by the way Aragorn, why was your Wanted Post about the sword closed? But I cant help you as im not selling any of mine.

<Another Edit>
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD Mainboard
    AthlonXP 1700+

So this motherboard can change the clock values without the need for traditional methods of AthlonXp overclocking, pencil soldering Iron Etc???

So i can overclock a 1700 to 2700 with no need to touch the chip with any hot instrument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i dunno :( i think they thought i was takin the piss but i want a sword!! ah well....found a place anyway...bargainblades.com :)

also: im buying this mobo and the rest from komplett but does the mobo come with all the cables and stuff? or will i have to keep these ones in the comp? oh and sorry my first post was a typo: i dont have the parts yet, should be here on tuesday :)

Sorry Ryo, only certain tbreds are multiplier unlocked in that board.
    The 2400+ is unlocked in the A7N8X but only in increasing the multiplier. For any significant performance boost you have to increase the FSB base frequency. This also requires lowering the multiplier ,for which a modification to the CPU is needed.
    (via Conductive PEN)

All XP2000+ and lower rated tbred cpus will be unlocked from the factory, allowing multipliers 5-12.5 to be adjusted in the bios of ANY MOTHERBOARD that supports the processor and has multiplier selection. So thats the 1700's and 1800's tbredA's.

All XP2100+ and higher processors will be unlocked for multipliers 13-18.5 on ALL MOTHERBOARDS that support these processors. In order to adjust the 5-12.5 multipliers on the XP2200+ and higher processors you need to join the 5th/right-most L3 bridge.

It is rumored that most KT400 and Nforce 2 boards will allow you to adjust ALL the multipliers from 5-18.5x with no modification if you're using Tbred 'B' cores. Tbred 'A' cores will still only have control of the 5-12.5x lower multipliers. Seems as this is deffinitly true for the nForce boards.

This info came from
    http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144965

Thats some good info there on that page..

Cheers BabyEater

• Advertisement
Advertisement