Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal weight?

• 07-12-2002 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,

ok i know im way underweight but cant help it.

I am 5'11 ,20 years of age and go to the gym quite often 4-5 a week.

What would be my ideal weight and how would i gain weight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

What weight are you currently?

What activities are you into?

Ideal weights are variable, dependent on a host of other factors.

That said, there are critical upper and lower levels of weight for any given body size.

JAK.

edit - also the answer to gaining weight is eating. Quite simply more than you think. I think about 50% of the threads on this board will answer your questions on weight gain. In the stickies article links there are also more links to pieces on weight gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Im 10 stone, Just gym work. do all my muscles + jog about 3 hours a week in the gym aswell. other than that play racketball and indoor soccer, swim and also small bit of horseriding.

10 stone ... that's pretty light for your height.

It is fairly arbitrary, but I would think at 5 11" you should be at least 11 stone and preferably 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Im 17 and the same weight/height
    5'11" and just over 10 stone
    I dont go to the gym but I do taekwondo 3 times a week and some running..
    Ive been trying to gain weight and for a long time now.. but ive stayed 10 stone for over a year.. by eating more but nothing, I guess it depends on your metabolism too

You are not eating enough.

Trust me - we have no genetic exceptions on boards. They are rare enough in the world.

There are links available in this forum as i said with more detailed argument and information - I don't have the time to drag it up for you. But if you look, it is there.

JAK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Most people don't seem to realise how much you have to actually eat to put on weight.

However if you want to put on lean muscle mass and stay healthy you have to eat a lot of healthier food; a couple of mars bars a day won't really cut it.

As Jak said there's a whole heap of information with regards to weight gaining diets out there; just be prepared to hate the sight of food.

believe me i eat nonstop. I know i am light as a feather but whatever i got is muscle. hahaha:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Runfree
    believe me i eat nonstop. I know i am light as a feather but whatever i got is muscle. hahaha:mad:

Can you post what you'd eat in a typical full day of eating non-stop. Times and amounts.

.logic.

Ok it would depend if I am working or not but lets say im not sick or not on holiday working week.

Breakfast (around 7:30 - 8:00am): Breakfast roll with orange juice or instead of breakfast roll have a ham salad sandwich.

at bout 10 am: Some kind of fruit with either a glass of water or a cup of tea

12:00 - 13:00: Lunchtime, go to town to get my dinner. this is mcdonalds once a week(bout 10-15 euros of junk food, like i said i eat like a pig) or have anything hot(eg. lasagna, shephards pie or one of those full dinners they do in the shop with pork spuds and vegies. once again i drink my 250 ml of orange juice(i love this stuff)

at bout 14:00 pm: have another snack. Im trying to stay of taytos and choclate so its usually something like a fruit bar or kellogs special K bar.(or somtimes 2)

when i finish work 17:00 pm: race down to the shop get another sandwich. lets go for a BLT or a chicken salad this time B]"yum yum"[/B]

ok im home now it is 17:45 watch a small bit of tv to relax from my day at work.

Ah no time flew it is 18:30-19:00 make myself another dinner. Usually soup as a starter with some white bread to dip in my soup. hmmm no didn't fill the gap. damn that steak in the freezer looks good. 12 -14 oz sirlion steak. Lets fry it up shall we. Or the alternative is that weird chinese rice with all sort of veggies and fish in it. lets have a stir fry im dont read the instructions so i cook it all(whoops did the pack say suitable for 2-3 people) guess i just ate it all.

ok so now it is about 19:30 - 20:00: lets go to the gym today(4 times a week) I stay there for bout 2 hours but not to forget i stop by the shop and once again get a bottle of 250ml orang juice and a banana.

22:00 finished in the gym: My god stomach stop rumblin. Go by the shop again. what will i get. hmmmm have a pick you guys ill eat if its good for ya. usually another kellogs special K bar. and once a week or so i stop by the chinese to get myself another dinner(I do love my food people)

22:30 bed time go to sleep at bout 23:30 though.

Your diet is very poor and you're not eating enough at all.

I've posted some bulking diets for you below just so you can see how much you really need to eat to gain muscle mass.
    Breakfast:
    50g rice(parboiled)
    100g bread(3 slices high fiber bread)
    Sallad, some broccoli, tomatoes.
    20g Whey Protein
    125g cottage cheese
    200g White fish or 1 can of tuna
    Coffee

Meal 2:
    100g white fish
    100g chickenbreast
    15g Whey protein
    125g cottage cheese
    140g rice or pasta, medium high carbs

Meal 3:
    50g rice
    70g bread(2 slices)
    Broccoli, sallad
    200g White fish
    125g cottage cheese
    5g omega3

Meal 4:
    300g White fish
    100g rice or pasta
    Veggies

Meal 5: Same as meal 3

Meal 6 before bedtime:
    50g rice
    125g cottage cheese
    250g Red meat or Chicken or 250g tuna or white fish.
    Veggies
    5g omega3

Meal 1(Pre workout):
    50g rice(40g carbs)
    125g(15g protein), cottagecheese low fat(1%)
    100g Rye bread with flaxx seeds(40g carbs)
    15g Whey protein100g white fish(18g protein)
    500mg ALA
    1.25mg Bromo
    Multivitamines
    500mg C-vitamine
    WATER
    Strong Black coffee

Meal 2:1(post workout)
    30g Dextrose
    25g Whey Protein
    250mg ALA

Meal 2:2(First real meal about 1 hour post workout)
    Pizza(100-110g pretty fast carbs)
    200g chickenbreast, 125g cottagecheese, green veggies on the pizza, no cheese, very little fat.
    500mg ALA

Meal 3:
    50g rice(40g carbs)
    70g Rye bread with flaxx seeds(28carbs)
    15g
    100g white fish(18g protein)
    50g tuna
    500mg ALA
    Green veggies on the bread and also fish on the bread and then into the oven.

Meal 4:
    50g rice(40g carbs)
    100g Rye bread with flaxx seeds(28carbs)
    200g chicken
    Green veggies on the bread and also the chicken on the bread and then into the oven.
    500mg ALA

Meal 5:
    50g rice
    70g Rye bread with flaxx seeds(28carbs)
    100g chicken
    50g tuna
    Green veggies on the bread and also the chicken on the bread and then into the oven.

Meal 6(or 7 of you count 2:2 as meal 3..)
    Before bedtime this day:
    50g rice
    250g cottge cheese(30g protein)
    140g tuna(32g protein)
    50g white fish(8g protein)
    Total before bedtime about 70g protein
    Green veggies, 15g fibers.
    250mg-500mg ALA.
    Bromo 1.25mg
    Zink 45mg

.logic.

• Advertisement

Christ almighty. Is that what you take????

If so what size are ya.

See I dont take any supplements(even though I might start soon)

But still if i eat so much how come I dont gain an ounce

But still if i eat so much how come I dont gain an ounce

As I said you don't eat enough :) Right now you're eating at maintenance levels so you don't gain or lose mass.

You have to shock the body and eat alot and at regular intervals if you want to build mass.

Right now I'm on a cutting diet so I eat very very little but in March or April I'll be going on a bulking diet much the same as one of the above.

.logic.

alright I c. This is &*%&^% &%& :D

Ah well gues i need to eat more.well thnx logic.

Must say ure advise is quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The'real'Guvnor

Ideal weight for what?

A world class marathon runner at your height would be your weight whereas a top Rugby prop could be your height and twice your weight.

There is a huge range as you can see. As for your situation - two things are important:

1: can the cardio
    2: eat a high protein, high carb, moderate fat diet and consume around 4000kcals per day.
    3: Train hard and heavy with weights.

If you do not gain weight on a consistent diet of 4000kcals then increase it to 4500. It is important to try each kcal total for around a month.

Ideal weight for you? Who knows but if I were you I would aim for 12st7.

HTH

AH WELL think ill get myself some protein then up the weights until i drop dead.

Waheyyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I just got very worried. I'm 6'3" and just over 10 stone!! :eek: :eek: Yikes I know. I was over 11 but have been losing it constantly for a few months. I'm not even fragile build. I'm medium so I know I should be a bit heavier. I've tried eating more but I can't stomach any more than I already eat! It's not an eating disorder it's just food isn't desireable any more (blasphemy!!!):confused:

I C what you mean. U on any supplements?? Im going to go on creatine as soon as I get my gym plan sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just for contrast I'll mention that I am ~14 stone (90kg) and barely 5'7. According to BMI that puts me well in the "Obese" category, which is plain nonsense.

Of course, I was[1] a tight-head prop which puts things in perspective :)

Al.

1. *Was* - too small now, gonna have to convert to hooker :( This pisses me off as I love propping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

I C what you mean. U on any supplements?? Im going to go on creatine as soon as I get my gym plan sorted.

Creatine however will not make you gain weight. An increase in cals via protein and carbs is the way to go. This can be real food or protein + maltodextrin.

Creatine is just an aid to training it does not fall into the weight gain category but rather ergogenic aids.

For the record I am 6ft3 and 18st

HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Holy blurking shnit!!! I'm not on any suplements or anything.
    I was talkin to the guy in the gym, whoose name happens to be Jim(!), and he reckons creotene is a seriously bad idea. It puts huge pressure on your urinary system (by making you drink gallons of water and p*ss like a racehorse!) and he recomended is own concoction of a high carb high energy drink instead. made it once, had tons of energy, didn't feel dozy during the day (like normal), and didn't crash after it, but I was just too lazy to keep getting up that little bit earlier in the mornin to make it. Plus it costs a bit too. Oh well. maybe (joking) I could loose a bit more weight and compete in Mr. Puniverse!!!! It exists.:D

Don1 - thread on creatine here

Let's try and keep the random opinions of homebrewing gym instructors to a minimum. Energy drinks and creatine are two entirely different supplements.

As for the huge pressure on urinary sytem ... I won't even bother.

JAK.

Ah well I c what i'll do. After all me body is starting to shape up nicely now(been going to the gym 4-5 a week)

Well keep the tread going if you have your own queries about your own weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

off topic but...

I HATE YOU ALL!!!

i mean don1... about 9/10 inches taller than me, and doesn't weigh that much more than me(im just under 10 stone)

you're discussing how to PUT ON weight, how to EAT MORE

... yet another reason men are EVIL!!!!

:mad:

Well Ill be gaining weight after x-mass in the new year when the gym is open as normal.

Im going to get myself the perfect diet. Protein before a workout carbs after a workout. Should be nice. Any advise on what I can buy(cheap)

Ah well it will be somewhat balanced anyway knowing me I wont even do it like that :)

Well Ill be gaining weight after x-mass in the new year when the gym is open as normal.

Im going to get myself the perfect diet. Protein before a workout carbs after a workout. Should be nice. Any advise on what I can buy(cheap)

Ah well it will be somewhat balanced anyway knowing me I wont even do it like that :)

Where do you get your advice? I ask as it is seriously flawed.
    The absolute ideal time for intake of fast acting protein such as whey protein is immeadiately after a workout.

Originally posted by Seraphina
    off topic but...

I HATE YOU ALL!!!

i mean don1... about 9/10 inches taller than me, and doesn't weigh that much more than me(im just under 10 stone)

you're discussing how to PUT ON weight, how to EAT MORE

... yet another reason men are EVIL!!!!

:mad:

135lbs and 5ft6 is a perfectly acceptable weight for a woman. Plenty of Ms. Fitness competitors would be weighing around the 130lb mark on stage.

If you want my advice the key to you obtaining a buff body which looks as good if not better naked than with clothes is diet and training.

Far too often gyms introduce women to the cardio section and possibly show them the weight machines. Now how many women use the machines in gyms with any level of confidence?

In terms of training - you should train with free weights and train like a man [one that trains properly]. You should be seeking maximum muscle gains [facts are you have very little testosterone and lots of estrogen, this makes it awfully hard to gain muscle], by seeking maximum muscle gains you will ensure you decrease your bodyfat levels and increase muscle mass which has significant benefits in terms of preventing osteoporosis. You could end up staying the same weight [135lbs] dropping 2 or even 3 dress sizes.

In terms of diet, high protein and moderate carbs are the way to go.

Anna Kournikova is about 5ft7 and weighs about 134lbs
    Martina Hingis is about 5ft7 and weighs about 140lbs

Both are big advocates of weights and they do proper weight.

Now you could go the cardio route and aim for the Sonia O'Sullivan slim/skinny look.

Hey Guv,

im not going for weight only. but I dont get my advise anywhere ive just decided to do a change. porbably should have mentioned that

Hey Guv,

but I dont get my advise anywhere

This could be your problem, no?

.logic.

• Advertisement

Nah it cant be :)

Nah im going to get some help on that anway.

Ill be fine. as long as im happy

Advertisement