Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oversleeping problem

• 07-12-2002 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

I've had this prob for bout 3 weeks now...like this morning,I went to bed at about 1am, woke up at 4pm today, wheras if I slept in,I should be up at 11am, and if I slept until a normal time, 9am.

Last week I went to bed at 9pm, woke up,once again at 4pm, Which is bloody ridiculous.

The week before,I went to bed at 11pm, woke up at 2pm.

Its starting to get very bloody annoying,since its a waste of a day, and I have problems getting to sleep the night after. All of these cases happened on saturday or sunday.

I tried using an alarm clock set for 8-10hrs, but if it wakes me up (which sometimes it doesnt), I usually drift straight back into a sleep.

Anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

You dont need more than 8 hours sleep. I usually try to get 6.

Its a fine line, if you sleep too much, you feel tired and then you will want more sleep, if you dont sleep enough you will be tired (altho will gradually learn to live on less sleep) and need more sleep.

I've never understood people who go to sleep at 10pm at night. Perhaps I have a very strong "night owl" gene :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

This might help,.... give it a try.

Set your alarm full blast (just to be sure that its heard)....

Place the alarm at the far side of your bed room, this means that ya gotta get up outta bed to turn it off, resulting in you jumping outta bed to do so.

Once your up your likely to wanna head to the loo (don't ask why, i'm no sceintist, but the body is known to do that after you awake), so after that you can shower and start dressing.........

Problem solved your up for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tizlox - first off, lucky you to be able to sleep in till the afternoon :(

I agree with the tip of putting the alarm clock at the other end of the room, it worked for me before.

Failing that, get another alarm clock or set your mobile up to call you 15 mins after the alarm goes off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yes, the alarm thing on the other side of the room works so well. My bed is six feet in the air - so I find it's a necessity to put the alarm somewhere else outside of the bed... by the time I've climbed down and turned it off, I'm in no mood to get back into bed.

Also - an alarm that repeats (or keeps going) until you turn it off. I find most alarm clocks tend to quit after a time if you don't turn them off, which kind of defeats the purpose I think. Just make sure your alarm clock never stops.

In addition to all of that - I have read that the human body functions better in block or two or four of sleep... so if you're going to bed at midnight, aim to get up at about 8am...

Hope all of this helps, and I really hope you get over your problem. I know what it's like to sleep in, and how frustrating it can get after several such incidents. (Summer 2001 for me - happened for weeks in a row)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

i dunno. you might wanna give a gook here though, might,..
    hmmm..
    am,
    mit might give you an idea of when to start sleeping etc.., With REM and all.
    :rolleyes:
    HERE

oh ya.
    They say if you want a good sleep, dont go to bed with a clock anywhere near your bed.. So maybe, put a couple of bright, large clocks on and around your bed. Also your phone, leave that beside you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭embraer170

I can guarantee you that absolutely nothing wakes me up, not even 5 alarm clocks at full blast. I can sleep through absolutely anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This happens to me a lot, mainly when I lose my sleeping patern. I might lie in for a bit, then that kinda starts things off... I can *NEVER* get up when this happens, no matter what. So I usually stay up for the whole night, and go to bed at a decent time the next night. That usually helps, but it would often take about 2 showers a day, and a lot of coffee and/or red bull. ;) I'm usually grand as long as I have a distraction, or something to do. Once yer up long enough, you stop being tired.

That's a surefire way to get my sleep patern back in gear. Once I do that, I can get by on 6-8 hours of sleep no problem. Until the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

tried the alarm clock at the other end of the room technique.. I usually collapse back into bed when I do it, telling myself to get up, but failing.

And your right shad0r, whenever I do manage to get up after a 14hr+ sleeping session or so, I feel absolutly shattered, and I have to drag myself out of bed, and only do so because its dark out and I realise I've ****ed up yet another day

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by NoelRock

Also - an alarm that repeats (or keeps going) until you turn it off. I find most alarm clocks tend to quit after a time if you don't turn them off, which kind of defeats the purpose I think. Just make sure your alarm clock never stops.

Most especially when you go on holidays for three weeks, neighbours can't stop laughing at that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Maybe you are suffering from a lack of energy, the natural response to this is rest and sleep! So maybe eat more foods that have energy in them or take energy suppliments! As for the alarm clock..

Well i have my radio on the stereo start me off... that wakes me part way.. enough so i know its about time to get up.. but then just above my bed on a shelf i have a star wars phantom menace thing with one of them racers.. it makes one hell of a racket and i jump out of bed almost every time to turn it off... Im not out of bed at that, i could be but i rest a few mins and wait for the traffic report and then i get out of bed and turn off the radio.

I almost never sleep as long as that and i find that if i go to bed later i sleep better most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

On that note, you may want to look at your diet in general, and when you are eating, as some food take longer to digest and some stay around in your system for ages (yeast, dairy products, excess sugars) and can disrupt sleep patterns.

Try cutting down on sweet stuff and coffee and see if has any effect, but don't cut it out 100% as your system can go into shock!Seriously, though, experiment with cutting down on various food types and see if it works

Sweet Dreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, you might be stressed out a bit too, or the opposite - under no motivation to do anything at all.

I haven't been sl;eeping right for the past week or so, going to sleep at 4/5 because I can't rest, not getting up till 3 or 4pm again (by which time, after a bit of munch it's dark again.

Start drinking fruit juices and healthier grub. Get plenty of vitamins anyways. You don't want to end up with a cold/flu ontop of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

hmm..my diet used to be
    1pm - 1am: eat sfa, since the last 5 months or so its a bit like this..

breakfast: toast/tea/breakfast roll on tuesdays
    lunch: this might be a bad spot..dont usually have anything,or it'd be something small, like a rice krispie square
    dinner: noodles/chip/burger

also take multivitimans and such
    stressed out is probably a key there, been having some bad days recently, to an extent of having people twice my age/size trying to kill me and such..

probably a few reasons in there somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

A lot of carbs and yeast there, an not a huge amount of protein, or fibre. And your liquid seems to be mainly caffeine. It's a combination of bad eating and stress, as you say. You probably need to detox (not gonig to happen over the Xmas) and then start eating properly. Bad diet causes stress too

Advertisement