Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legality of tinted windows.

• 07-12-2002 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I am looking at tinting the windows to my Xsara in the near future, very light tinting on all sides and rear window(s). I am curious to know as to the legality behind window tints. In the USA for instance, it is illegal to place any tint on the side driver and passanger windows (back windows are ok) and I know here it is illegal for windshield tints (and am not remotely interested in placing a bit CITROÉN band across the top anyway :)). Anyone know the full story and also does anyone know any reputable tinters in the cork area and a possible price list?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭ando

Its legal to get all windows tinted except the front windscreen. I would'nt do it anyway!

Funny enough, I just got my car's windows tinted yesturday!

Cant say I know anyone in cork but in dublin you can get it done for €200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭tinofapples

And what did this involve ? Is this the thin film that they melt on to the glass using a heat gun ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Have had mine for about 3 yrs. Only illegal on front windscrean. But the gards in ireland probably dont even know this.

First they cut out the pattern. Its like giant piece of cellotape. They spray soapy water on the sticky part and place on the window (the whole film slides up and down the window easilly. Then just squidgy the water out making sure no bubbles are left.

Its great having them on sunny days and also you will never be blinded by people behind you with bright/out of focus lights.
    When i drive other peoples cars i really notice the difference. Couldn't live without them now.

Yeah i agree completly. Driving the company van is a pain nowadays with no tinted windows !!

My car windows are in a kinda mirror effect at the bottom of the window, and from the inside of the car its darker at the bottom of the windows. This is so much better at night because the darker bit of the window blocks out the cars lights behind me :) while still letting me see out at the top half of the window.

It helps as I get headache's driving, especially at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Ando where did you get it done?

• Advertisement

northwest business park, blanchardstown. The company info and website is at home. I'll post it up later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Ando ,
    What kind/colour car are you driving ?

nice_lowres.jpg

:)

nellieswellies,

The company is called "Shades", their a division of BM Glass Coatings & Graphics

Unit A4, Northwest business park, blanchardstown, dublin 15
    www.bmglasscoatings.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

What sort of money did they charge you Ando?

€200 for the 5 windows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

There's also a few guys doing tinting in Cork, one in Ballincollig and one other guy in the Togher Industrial called 'Solar Gard' (both do great work)

Lads what's it like driving the car with tented windows on a daily basic, visability, foggy windows and all that, i'd get it done only wasn't sure how t'would affect things..

One guy was doing light/medium/limo/blue tint, whats the best to go for, limo tint on back windows with medium on 2 fronts, obviously none on front.

Also does it affect the resale of the car?

Advertisement