Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Houllier gone by New Year?

• 07-12-2002 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I would have got very long odds on me posting this in August but I'm feeling very disenchanted right now....:(

Is it all over, has he been found out or can Houllier stop the rot before its too late and its a fight for the last CL spot?

Yet again the team seemed to lack urgency for long spells in todays game, sure they woke up for 20-25 mins in the second half but could'nt use the possession advantage. There were some very dodgy moments at the back, which undermines everyones confidence and bareing in mind that this team has been built from the back where does that leave us? Poor old St Michael must be doing his nut, fighting for scraps on his own far too often.

The fact Dudek and Gerrard were in different ways being publicly
    critised by the manager sugests not all is well, is the mamagers heart in the job any more....I dont think so.

If this form continues till the new year, I wonder if the board or maybe the man himself will say enoughs enough? :(

Agh, Ignore me, it could be worse. I could be Leeds fan.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

i reckon if he does not win either the league, the uefa cup or the fa cup this season, we cud well see a new manager at anfield at the end of the season!

All in all he has to win some silverware this season (not including the worthington cup!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Chuckwalla

Good, the anti-Houllier faction is surfacing! The man is a muppet. In fairness he has laid very solid foundations, and brought in some very good players, but hes not a good enough manager to bring us back to the very top.

1. I wouldn't play Smicer in Canvey Island's first team (no disrespect to any fans)

2. Heskey? A better man-manager may unleash the raging bull in him. Imagine him charging at defences like a rhino on heat! I dunno if his confidence will ever be strong enough to allow this to happen, but Le Tosspots motivational skills are good enough here anyway.

3. Playing a 4-5-1, with four foot nothing Micheal Owen playing forty yards ahead of the midfield, fighting six foot centre halves for headers is not a good plan. I reckon Owen has similar attributes to Henry, and could develop into a similar player, but not with langball in charge.

4. Take the shackles off for **** sake. We have a class defence, allow our midfield the same freedom as AFC/MUFCs. Hamann can play the Keane/Vieira role, an on-form Gerrard/Diao can help Hamann defensively and also go forward. Cheryou seems worth a run on one of the flanks...anybody getting in the France squad cant be too bad. Play Riise left midield is an idea. We have a young Denis Irwin type left back in Vignal (who is fit again and rumoured to be unhappy with wankstain). The alernative is playing Diouf in a withdrawn role of some kind, with a super-charged Heskey/Baros alongside Mickey up front. It is worth remembering that Hamann scored c.10 goals in one season for Newcastle. Maybe give him a bit of freedom and see what happens.

5. I remember Houllier talking of a 5 year plan when he first arrived. Maybe this involves phasing the shackles out...maybe.

6. Biscan? I'll forgive in light of other quality unknowns being unearthed, but still, he was ****ing expensive.

7. Was offered Ljungberg cheap, bought Meijer/Diomede/Ferri/ other twats instead.

8.We have England under 21 Stephen Wright. Le genius buys Abel Xavier?! Ill never forget crawling out of bed one college afternoon to see Sky News report that Liverpool had signed Abel Xavier for £800,000. Sheer dumbfoundedness, bemusement! Why? If he was bought for the novelty of his hair/beard combo, fair enough, but dont play him ahead of Wright. The feeling was similar to the utter amazement/ unbelieveableness of seeing the much improved Dominic Matteo scoring in the San Siro! That piebald whose mistakes could always be traced back as the root cause of the goals we conceded had just scored in the San Siro! Well it was the 29th Sunday of the month, and 8 pigs had just flown past a blue moon!

9. Selling Fowler seems a good move as of now, but if he ever fully recovers, we have given our rivals a 25 goal a season man. I dont disagree with the sale, but abroad if at all possible.

10. Bringing Hamann off against Leverkusen????????????

11. The pathetic **** he spouts non stop. Fowler was imitiating a cow eating grass. In fairness! I dont even read his interviews any more - his words command less respect and carry less weight than David O' Leary's at the height of, "my babies, theyre a young side x 50" ****e.

12. Thats only the tip of the ice-berg, I could write an encylopedia on why he's a tool of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I think we should give him a change man. Sure he needs to liven things up but lets see whta happens in the next few weeks. All we need is one good win and the confidence will be sky high again.

The transfer window will be open in Jan. Maybe we will get rid of some dead wood like biscan and get in a more creative winger.

There is not many avilable managers out there i think would be suitable to the liverpool job.

Every manager makes bad buys in the transfer market.Aresnal bought inamato.(i think there was a bung there). ferguson has had many dodgy deals in the transfer market as well.

My time would be as follows:

A 4-3-3
    GK Kirkland
    LB Riise
    CD Hyypia
    CD Henchoz
    RB Babbel
    ML Cherou (Partridge)
    MC Diao
    MR Gerrard
    AMC Diouf
    FC Owen
    FC Baros (Heskey)

Thats my. The only problem is the left wing.We need some like McManaman or a Barnes. Someone who can change a game with a piece of skill.

I reckon we should buy joe cole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sell Michael Owen he is the main cause of liverpools problems.

Noone can play alongside him and he may get a few a goals but 2 top class strikers would get more and give the team more options that over the top.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

No way! It's not going to happen.

Liverpool have only had 9 different managers since WW2 so they're not the sort of club who'll sack the gaffer at the first sign of trouble. Plus anyone who has been following Liverpool over the last couple of seasons would have realised that November-December is traditionally when the club perform at their worst during a season. I guarentee you that results will turn around and normal service resumed before the new year is in.

Also taking that early lead in the league has given supporters dilusions of grandeur that has put too much expectations on a panel of players who (on paper at least) aren't worthy of being English champions anyway.

Just face facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

for em michael owern has been disappointing recently.
    He missed chances in the Uefa cup game, against man u and alos yesterday.

He's great at getting into 1v1 or good goal scoring positions but his finishing is really letting him down atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Liverpools current problems are all down to a loss of defensive form.

The attack hasn't been the most incisive/fluid and the defense was being trusted to win games.

Once the defence gets back to normal it'll probably be service as usual but until then ???

(A little bit more craft/guile in midfield could solve a lot of problems)

The pool won't sack Houllier now. It'll be the summer or not at all. No point in further destabilising the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Historically Liverpool managers have been chosen from a tight knit group of players , ex-players , back room staff etc. - If Houllier did go then I'd say they'd give Phil Thompson a shot at management and I'm not sure that would be an improvement......

I'd give Houllier more time to change it around. Its too early to be calling for his head.... The team is still being built its a fairly young side , more time needed IMO ....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Keep him on, we are lovin lookin at ye playing shi** football, as someone says Owen is the big problem, everything revolves around him, yet he had a bag of chances yesterday and fluffed them all.
    1 point from 15 is relagation form, but ye are still in the race so no panic, every team has blips and thb I think ye are mad even considering gettin rid of him.

As an outsider I think ye have to get rid of diouf from up front a play either baros or hesk up front, consistently, and put berger on the left with riise behind him, too much rotation goin on no consistancy.

But it is funny from our side, gwan the massive charlton. Lookin forward to the everton game, ye could be in big trouble

The whole "Owen problem" is down to Houllier. It is his strategy to revolve our play around Owen. Usually the poor ****er doesn't even have a partner to help him out. I cant argue that hes been missing chances of late but every striker does that every now and then. Owen has many of henry's attributes...pace, ability to run with the ball at pace, Owen's goals to shots ratio is better. Owen is class and should never be sold, its just the way that piebald uses him. Remember the 1st half against Basle...can you imagine how much Owen would love the service the 2 strikers got, they had a partner to inter-change with and Yakin pinging through balls all over the place. Owen was fighting a couple of 6"4 centre halves for headers. And this was not Real Madrid away, it was Basle, and we needed a win. Come on to ****. And why wasnt Hamann given the job of picking up Yakin? I mean for **** sake any bit of homework or cop-on would have demanded that. Tactical genius my bollox. I know the very most I can hope for is for Houllier to be moved upstairs at the end of the season...there are also few obvious quality replacements...Martin O'Neill??? Nobody else springs to mind. Houllier's still a ****ing muppet though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

This is a bad patch no more no less ill repeat that for anyone who didn't hear BAD PATCH - and even though we have had this bad run of games we are still only 4 points off the top so where is the problem......it'll turn around and they will still be contenders come april

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Originally posted by johnnynolegs
    This is a bad patch no more no less

We'll get through this-utd +arsenal have had their patches and got through them and so will we! It's nonsense talking about sacking the manager cos of a bad patch-remember we've only lost 4 games! so have arsenal but you dont hear anyone calling for wenger to be sacked!
    i think it's the curse of the manager of the month! wenger got it for september,arsenal lost their way at everton, houiller got it for october, then we were beaten at middlesborough,moyes got it for november and look what happened to them in the last 2 games!
    We'll get through this-beginning this week with vitesse,then sunderland at the weekend
    ;)

exactly peeve i thank u for concurring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭peeve

Anytime!:D

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

no houllier has to go ! mccarthy for anfield!bring back phil babb

i take it u don't support liverpool then bunny hahahaha

got it in one johnny.
    sheffield wednesday for the champions league 2010
    (you can never insult me, ive heard them all b4 ,i am immune)

i shall be watching footie years this week on sky and for the main reason (slightly disturbing reason actually) is to c phil babb banging his knackers against the post ouch ouch ouch ouch

*squirms uncomfortably in his seat*

• Advertisement

as did every male in the UK and Ireland when he saw it hhahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I remember that!

I think he was injured for a couple of weeks after that!!

he had to have an operation didn't he??? i thought he was out for a couple of months!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When will it be on TV ... well worth watching it again.

He was out for ages afterwards.

wednesday i think - yeah i don't think he played for the pool again after that i could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Theres talk of Real Madrid going after Michael Owen when the Window opens in January due to the drawn out Contract Negoations between themselves and Raul,and as everyone knows if Real want a player they usually get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The reason, to get back on topic, I'm unhappy with Houllier is that he simply lacks vision, if he has'nt bought at least one out and out winger (who he wants to keep) then its all over, he'll have to go.

The strategy should be simple enough, get the ball down the wings knock it into Heskey who lays it back if nothing is immediatly on, to Owen/Barros/ or whoever else is alert on the 18 yard line. Failing that Heskey needs to be played in the middle of attack with balls comming in from Gerrard, Murphy et al. At the moment neither is happening, instead Heskey is wasted on the left as the midfeild
    vainly tries to find the perfect through ball to release Owen, who these days is marked closer than ever. Its just daft, a waste of talent.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Is it just me or do other people think Heskey is sh**e? Houllier paid 10 million squid for him and granted he had a decent first season actually scoring some goals but for the rest of his tenure is has been nothing but stinking awful!! He's a striker for gods sake doesn't anyone else realise this scoring goals is his only job.

I know it's been said already but I'll say it again. The problem with Liverpool is that they totally rely on Mickey Owen. Was Heskey bought to support play, knock useless balls on? Tackle badly and give away fouls? If so then he has been a shining success. And we should keep him until we get relegated. What a waste of skin.

And smicer? He is just too weak to be on a football pitch. Easily pushed off the ball and also a waster. Who else? Hmmm... Traore useless, gives ball away too much. Gerrard has had a dip of form recently. He's just too desperate to knock balls in from all angles. Once out of 10 tries a ball does actually reach it's target. He is good for quality balls into the box but when the pool are losing he ALWAYS pumps the ball forward asap. In fact I think Houllier should get one of his Irish mates to send a copy of The Premiership on Network 2 to him and actually listen to the criticism from Giles and Dunphy. Maybe he doesn't actually realise what's going on! I'm too peeved off atm to think of anything else to say.....

Thank you Mike, this isn’t some panicky ****e because we’ve lost a few games. I’ve been saying it for a few years now. Houllier’s whole philosophy on how soccer should be played is wrong. His opinion is wrong! Its just that now we’ve lost a few games, at least a few questions are being asked. The team is just 4 points of the top, but it has so much more potential. With these ridiculous restrictions Houllier has on the team, we’re only seeing c.70% of its capabilities. It is so ****ing frustrating! As regards Heskey, hes 24 now, no longer a young player developing. I still reckon he has potential that a good man-manager/coach even could help him realise. He lacks anger/aggression – give him a bit of Roy Keane’s mentality and every defence in Europe would be quaking in their boots at this huge, angry behemoth charging at them. As for Smicer, I simply cant fathom this ridiculous loyalty Houllier has to him. OK he was good against Basle in 2nd half, but can anyone honestly say he deserves his place in the team??????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well if Terry Vegetables isint' gone by now, houlier will hardly be gone by the new year! Maybe if he fails to win anything this year they might be looking at the end of may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by CivilServant
    Is it just me or do other people think Heskey is sh**e? Houllier paid 10 million squid for him and granted he had a decent first season actually scoring some goals but for the rest of his tenure is has been nothing but stinking awful!! He's a striker for gods sake doesn't anyone else realise this scoring goals is his only job.

Dont blame Heskey, blame Houllier who for some reason decided over the summer that, rather than play Riise on the left wing which makes good sense he'd use a big old-fashioned centre-foward instead! Go figure (as the say).

Mike.

Advertisement