Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80mm fan dust filters ?

Options
  • 08-12-2002 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Can some 1 plz tell me where to get dust filters for 80mm fans, i have to clean the inside of my pc every month from a thin layer of dust,and is not my idea of fun.maplin,peats dont have them....ne suggestions.

THX. COMBATCOW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

I didn't think they even existed. Wouldn't they like block the air flow after they fill up with dust and render the fans useless?

I've never cleaned dust from the inside of my current pc tbh and it doesnt look that dusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

If you want to do a DIY job on them simply use some nylon tights.

1. Get some heavy card.
    2. place 80mm fan on it and mark it out.(including screw holes)
    3. cut it out.
    4. cut nylon to same shape but about 10mm smaller all round.
    5. stretch the nylon around the card then glue or staple it in place(both would be best).
    6. attach to fan by means of the screw holes

As ThrAx said this will reduce the amount of air being taken in and as the dust builds it will reduce this even more.

I'm sure their are better ways then what I've described on the net. Simply look around.

Timeout

P.S.
    I have not done this to my own as I feel getting the hoover out once a month to the PC is not as bad as reduced air flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

well considering i have 4 fans sucking air into the case the inside would get a lot dustier than a normal pc.thx 4 the tip timeout i might try making a test filter and c how it goes.I remember seeing a wire mesh filter somewhere, might find somethin like that @ home and make some.thx 4 the reply's

COMBATCOW

Advertisement